Standard

Brakes:
Standard

Wheels and Tyres:
Standard Mazda 18" alloys

Exterior Styling:
Standard

Interior:
Black/Red full leather, heated front seats and electric driver seats.

ICE:
Mazda BOSE 9 speaker system.
Rockford Fosgate P1 10" Subwoofer (on loan from housemate)
Alpine amp (also on loan from housemate)

To come/ordered:
Couple of trim bits which were missing. - Fitted
K&N oil filter - Fitted

Short term plans:
A full service - Done

Long term plans:
Borla (or Blueflame) stainless steel cat back exhaust
Stainless steel manifold
Sports cat
AEM intake
OEM body kit
PZ spoiler

I got the RX-8 a couple of weeks ago after the old 300ZX got written off; the picture makes the damage look fairly minor but the wheel arch was all rusted up and had ripped, the repair work would have cost £1400 so I took the payout and moved on.

I have to say that I was pretty impressed how much off a mess the other person's car was after she'd driven into mine (my car was parked up at the time).

I'm pretty chuffed with the new car, it's so much lighter and responsive the the big lumbering zed, though fuel economy is just as bad as the zed.... The rotary whine just begs you to rev the nipples off it. Chucking it along some b-roads is amazing, can't help but find your self smiling.

Here's a picture from the weekend I got it:

More pictures (mostly trying out my new camera):

Sorry for the photo overload
iwantcheese5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
First bit to arrive:

It's ruddy tiny compared to the one I've got kicking around for the 300ZX, it's about half the size. Also it's always fun to know my car shares parts with a KIA Magentis....
Mally-xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am not a car-fan normally, but that is lush :coma:
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mally-xo)
I am not a car-fan normally, but that is lush :coma:
Haha thanks!
NOBODY MOVE!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
whoah, dude!
what camera did you use for those pics?!

...............(serious question).

;D
Simon_666
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
bet its a ******* to run!

what MPG have you got out of it? I'm guessing barely 20s and they absolutely eat oil!
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That is not the point of a car like this, mpg and oil consumption :rolleyes:

Great car! I was looking at them before getting the S2k, I love high revving engines and the RX-8 was great fun and better looking than the S2k, but in the end, I fell in love with the greater power and lightness of the S2k. In saying that, they look amazing, awesome car and the ****el engine is a peach!

Just looking into getting a K&N FIPK and a Powerhouse Amuse Titanium exhaust for my car...watch this space!

Graham

Haha, love how the engine type is censored!
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
whoah, dude!
what camera did you use for those pics?!

...............(serious question).

;D
Canon EOS 550D and then the auto colour, tone and contrast corrections in photoshop just to make them a bit nicer :P but it's mostly thanks to the camera.

(Original post by Simon_666)
bet its a ******* to run!

what MPG have you got out of it? I'm guessing barely 20s and they absolutely eat oil!
It's a joy to run, I went to Mazda the other day and the guy was telling me that for the health of the engine I have to rag the **** out of it regularly...as in at least weekly.... And as for MPG if you want a quick car you're never gonna see more than 25mpg unless you get some dirty diesel... Oil isn't a big problem if you look after your car.

(Original post by gbduo)
That is not the point of a car like this, mpg and oil consumption :rolleyes:

Great car! I was looking at them before getting the S2k, I love high revving engines and the RX-8 was great fun and better looking than the S2k, but in the end, I fell in love with the greater power and lightness of the S2k. In saying that, they look amazing, awesome car and the ****el engine is a peach!

Just looking into getting a K&N FIPK and a Powerhouse Amuse Titanium exhaust for my car...watch this space!

Graham

Haha, love how the engine type is censored!
I love the way there's a buzzer at 9000rpm to warn you its time to change gear....

There's only 9 bhp difference! I will concede the rex weighs 90kg more, but I get to have 3 friends No idea why it would censor Rotary :P

Sounds like some tasty mods, should make that v-tec scream

Pics of some stickers I picked up at Ultimate Dubs today:

gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh is it a JDM!? Make sure you run it on V-Power/premium!
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
Oh is it a JDM!? Make sure you run it on V-Power/premium!
Haha nah its a UK :P just liked the sticker
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
Filter arrived today fitted it within 15mins....

gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nice!

Does it improve performance?
Ryan12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Very very jealous, stunning car in red :cool:
I would love one of these but the running costs are scary, they need really regular oil changes iirc.
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
Nice!

Does it improve performance?
I haven't had a chance to take it for a drive yet, but to be honest I doubt it as it's only a panel filter. I still want to get a proper induction kit later on.

(Original post by Ryan12)
Very very jealous, stunning car in red :cool:
I would love one of these but the running costs are scary, they need really regular oil changes iirc.
Running costs are high on any quick car, and oil changes are every 7500 miles from memory with oil top ups every few tanks of petrol. I'm giving it an oil change this Wednesday. And I'll get a good feel for how much oil it burns next week when I drive it to Geneva...
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have found that Castrol Edge 5w40 in my car means less oil is burnt.

I was on Mobil 1 0w40 and that it loved to burn that stuff, a litre a month!

Castrol Edge is much more stable.

Although I am not sure how rotary engines like Fully Synth?
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
I have found that Castrol Edge 5w40 in my car means less oil is burnt.

I was on Mobil 1 0w40 and that it loved to burn that stuff, a litre a month!

Castrol Edge is much more stable.

Although I am not sure how rotary engines like Fully Synth?
A Mazda technician told me to use Castrol Magnatec and nothing else (he even said it was better than their Mazda stuff...).
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iwantcheese5)
Filter arrived today fitted it within 15mins....
This is an interesting read if you've got a few minutes spare.. I've been working in a factory making fuel filters for the last few months (possibly one of the dullest jobs on earth) and they make both OE and after market filters, and it's quite interesting to see that whilst some use identical parts, other types have very different specs and quality control standards (OE are invariably higher, but externally there's no visible differences - other than possibly the manufacturer's name).
Nice looking car though! Not quite my cup of tea but I'd love to have a blast in one. By the way a rotary engine is also known as a W.ankel engine, after the bloke who designed it, but the swear filter still doesn't like the name! Just out of interest, how's the RX-8 engine on the tips? I seem to remember at least one of the Mazda rotarys went through the tips in no time at all.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
This is an interesting read if you've got a few minutes spare.. I've been working in a factory making fuel filters for the last few months (possibly one of the dullest jobs on earth) and they make both OE and after market filters, and it's quite interesting to see that whilst some use identical parts, other types have very different specs and quality control standards (OE are invariably higher, but externally there's no visible differences - other than possibly the manufacturer's name).
Nice looking car though! Not quite my cup of tea but I'd love to have a blast in one. By the way a rotary engine is also known as a W.ankel engine, after the bloke who designed it, but the swear filter still doesn't like the name! Just out of interest, how's the RX-8 engine on the tips? I seem to remember at least one of the Mazda rotarys went through the tips in no time at all.
That is quite interesting! Is that just a direct replacement aftermarket filters they used?
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
That is quite interesting! Is that just a direct replacement aftermarket filters they used?
I think so - I haven't googled all the part numbers! TBH I'm surprised there's so many different part manufacturers - though it wouldn't surprise me if several of those have filters have come from the same factories.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
I think so - I haven't googled all the part numbers! TBH I'm surprised there's so many different part manufacturers - though it wouldn't surprise me if several of those have filters have come from the same factories.
I was surprised to see Amsoil and K&N do so badly to be honest!

I know the more expensive K&N systems with the full induction kit have proven dyno results but of course they don't tell you how well it is protecting against dirt, it is just assumed!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (2)
28.57%
Pro-humanity (5)
71.43%

Watched Threads