refrence translation- question Watch

noneedforapplause
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello everyone,

I’m a Portuguese student applying for uni in 2012 (actually I’m English, but that’s another story ) . As soon as I start my final year (in September) I’m planning to ask all my teachers the write references but since they’ll be in Portuguese and I’ll probably be the one who has to go and pay to get them translated (I don’t want to imagine how much I will have to pay :s) I'm not sure if I should give them back to my teachers so they can send them or if I can send them myself...
I’m slightly confused by all of this…

Thank you for your help ^_^
Peregrinum
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(I assume you're applying as an individual.)

You can't attach the reference yourself. There's a place on your UCAS form to enter your referee's email address; once you've done that and sent a "reference request" UCAS will email that person asking them to complete a reference for you. Once this has been done the section will appear as completed (you will not be able to view the completed reference). So you do need to give your referee an English-language copy of the reference to be typed in. http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/apply...pply/reference

PS. It's not like you need a notarized translation. You could just ask a friendly English teacher or a friend who speaks the language well to translate it for you for free.
noneedforapplause
Rep:
?
Thanks!
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A friend who speaks the language is unlikely to be accepted as a translation. Either use a teacher or another official source.
noneedforapplause
Rep:
?
And should I inform them that the letter was translated?
yaravel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I payed 20€ to get a document translated. They used to do it at the british council but they stopped having any translation/counselling services some years ago. Apparently "all the info is on our website". They gave the some contacts of people who used to work there though, I called some of them up, and it was quite easy, apart from the fact that it was summer and all except one actually answered me. I e-mailed a scan of the document and got a translation 2 hours later I guess, with the "oh look I got fired but I still have the whole stamp and signature thing so I'll always look professional" going on.
noneedforapplause
Rep:
?
I thought about going to the British council. I’ll have to look into it and if I’m not as lucky as you I’ll ask one my teachers to forward the letters to one of the English teachers to translate it then send it back to my teachers for them to send to UCAS…
yaravel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by noneedforapplause)
I thought about going to the British council. I’ll have to look into it and if I’m not as lucky as you I’ll ask one my teachers to forward the letters to one of the English teachers to translate it then send it back to my teachers for them to send to UCAS…
As I said, I wasn't at school at the time but asking your teachers seems a very smart thing to do. Didn't even think of that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads