Turn on thread page Beta

Should Britain be in the EU? (Just need a poll answered to help with a project) watch

• View Poll Results: Should Britain be in the EU?
    Yes
    48.10%
    No
    45.71%
    Unsure
    6.19%

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I have to do a survey about Britain's membership in the EU, and came on here for peoples opinions.

I just need you to answer the poll and give your reason why.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to those who voted.

Need more peoples opinions though.

ReputationRep:
    Whether the media confuses people and hates on Europe otherwise, we'd be a lot poorer without it.

Edit: I don't know why the neg rep? You're either immature and can't handle somebody elses view or you're a media zomie.

ReputationRep:
    We shouldn't be in the EU. Of course there are benefits of the EU and no one can deny those. At the same time, there are a lot of drawbacks that no one can deny. The main thing which I personally dislike about the EU is that it is taking away our ability to decide our own laws. It should be down to the democratically elected UK government to decide whether prisoners get the vote, and not a non-British and non-democratic entity. The EU clearly doesn't serve our interests.

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider being part of the EU something to be proud of, I'd sooner have many nations thinking of how best to do things than one nation since we'd consider new ways of thinking and be less prone to corruption.

ReputationRep:
    No, but there should be a trade agreement. Other than free trade, it just adds another layer of bureaucracy and money wasting.

ReputationRep:
    theres arguments to both sides tbh

ADVANTAGES (why we should be in the EU):
    Wine from France
    Designer Clothing from Italy
    Cars from Germany
    Holidays to Spain

DISADVANTAGES (why we shouldn't be in the EU):
    The cheap guys fitting my Kitchen will have to go back to Poland

So in summary we should stay in the EU...atleast until my Kitchens finished

ReputationRep:
    I wish that we could see a proper investigation on how much money we gain through being a member, and how much we lose through the same. Obviously it would be very hard to calculate, but we really need to know the figures before we can make an educated decision. I would say unsure for now.

ReputationRep:
    apparantly It costs us 45 million every day to be a member however i do think it has some benefits with trade etc

ReputationRep:
    I like the trade agreements, university links, freedom of movement, et cetera but I strongly oppose EU interference in a country's laws and I don't like a body of politicians who were not elected by the people representing and dictating to a country. The fact that most of the politicians in Brussels making laws that affect Britain weren't elected by the British people (and other peoples, but here we're specifically addressing Britain) is deeply unsettling to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    I like the trade agreements, university links, freedom of movement, et cetera but I strongly oppose EU interference in a country's laws and I don't like a body of politicians who were not elected by the people representing and dictating to a country. The fact that most of the politicians in Brussels making laws that affect Britain weren't elected by the British people is deeply unsettling to me.
    There were however a few politicians in Brussels who were elected by the British People. And how is that more unsettling than, for example, a Scotman or Welshman being dictated what to do by a mostly English-Elected Coalition in Westminster?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even going to bother answering the question because any such debate on TSR has resulted in most people exposing their complete ignorance of the EU and the outside world.

You can't do anything about it from your couch. The Masters have already decided that the countries of the EU should be converted to states, eventually. With one leader and one government that will lead with an iron fist if you dare complain about the loss of tradition and individuality as a country.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that most of the politicians in Brussels making laws that affect Britain weren't elected by the British people is deeply unsettling to me.
    But I thought it was all Gordon Brown and New Labour's fault that we're in a mess?

Imagine if that Labour government had had 13 years of full sovereign power mwahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    We really could do without any of the Political meddling, economically though we need the EU to survive.

Then again we could always join the EFTA which would solve both problems.

ReputationRep:
    There is two sides to this which benefit this country but also destroys this country however we survived with out the EU before it was created and we can survive without it now. So we shouldn't be in the EU because I think there are too many negative things with being in the EU than there are positive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwest1992)
    We shouldn't be in the EU. Of course there are benefits of the EU and no one can deny those. At the same time, there are a lot of drawbacks that no one can deny. The main thing which I personally dislike about the EU is that it is taking away our ability to decide our own laws. It should be down to the democratically elected UK government to decide whether prisoners get the vote, and not a non-British and non-democratic entity. The EU clearly doesn't serve our interests.
    Yes but you have to remmember UK has 3rd largest number of ministers in EU Parliament, so UK has a big influence on what Laws to pass on. Also, I think that EU having same Laws makes us (Europeans) equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    Yes but you have to remmember UK has 3rd largest number of ministers in EU Parliament, so UK has a big influence on what Laws to pass on. Also, I think that EU having same Laws makes us (Europeans) equal.
    The EU Parliament doesn't have any real power though. If I recall, it votes on some laws and can't propose any legislature.

The EU Commission can propose laws and alongside the courts enforces them. Neither are an electable body. The citizens of Europe do not have a say in how this body runs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwest1992)
    It should be down to the democratically elected UK government to decide whether prisoners get the vote, and not a non-British and non-democratic entity.
    If it wasn't for putting aside old nationalistic loyalties, the UK wouldn't exist today. As for non-democratic - the EU is democratic. It is democracy balanced with representation of individual countries, and is actually a gesture towards the sovereignty which you support.

The EU clearly doesn't serve our interests.
    It serves the interests of the people of Europe, who include us.

(Original post by Will Lucky)
    We really could do without any of the Political meddling, economically though we need the EU to survive.

Then again we could always join the EFTA which would solve both problems.
    Being a member of the EFTA involves implementing virtually all areas of EU regulation with absolutely no say over how these laws and regulations are formulated. It is an absolutely terrible idea and would do immense harm to British industry and commerce whose businesses often depend on being able to lobby effectively in Brussels.

ReputationRep:
    I like the trade agreements, university links, freedom of movement, et cetera but I strongly oppose EU interference in a country's laws and I don't like a body of politicians who were not elected by the people representing and dictating to a country. The fact that most of the politicians in Brussels making laws that affect Britain weren't elected by the British people (and other peoples, but here we're specifically addressing Britain) is deeply unsettling to me.
    Er, we don't have people making laws that aren't elected. EU law is enacted by two institutions: the directly elected European Parliament and the Council of Ministers which is a body composed of the elected government ministers of the member-states.

The Commission, the executive body, is not democratically elected. Neither is the Government of the United Kingdom whilst we're about it. Both, however, must maintain the confidence of their respective parliaments and consequently those parliaments have a great deal of influence in controlling how the executive operates.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.