The Student Room Group

How hard are GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josh_Dey
Can someone please tell me how hard GCSEs are.

By subject (obviously) so I know which ones to focus on.

So, I need to know what subjects are easy,hard and alright/O.K etc.

I really need to know this.

Thanks for reading.
Josh :smile:

Only give neg rep if i said something bad ffs

Proper subjects are hard.

Doss subjects are easy.

This is what every child should learn for their 10 GCSEs:

Mathematics, English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French or German or Spanish, History, Geography, Latin or Greek, then either IT/Music/DT.
it depends, to me, they'd be easy because i'm now in my second year of college, and am doing a lot more challenging work. but i think the problem is there's a lot more knowledge in gcses because you're doing 11/12/13 subjects but a levels you're doing 3/4/5 so you can concentrate on them in a lot more depth. but, no they weren't easy at the time, but just work hard and you WILL get results :smile:
Reply 22

If the irish system is anything like GCSEs... They're not.

_Kar.
They are really hard. Only 0.75% of people get a C. Be afraid young child.
Reply 24
Art and graphics are horrible because of the amount of coursework. The rest are pretty simple conceptually, although it can be hard to manage workload.

By subject (obviously) so I know which ones to focus on.

So, I need to know what subjects are easy,hard and alright/O.K etc.

I really need to know this.

Thanks for reading.
Josh :smile:

Only give neg rep if i said something bad ffs

None of them are hard.

The sciences and maths are a piece of cake. French and German would come second easiest. Then, History, Geog and RE would be grouped as third.
Simple. :biggrin:
Broseph, don't base your opinion on easiness

Just go with what you like :wink: (speaking from experience)
I wouldn't label them as easy or hard as such, as difficulty is completely subjective. However, I would say that with a moderate amount of work throughout the year, you will be able to achieve the A/A*s you want. GCSEs can be nailed even with an intensive period of 2 weeks leading up to the exams, which is a technique I employ frequently. Not that I recommend it ofcourse...
Reply 28
English Lang & Lit, Economics (So hard that AS Economics seems a breeze now) and History were Hard. The rest were easy.
There must have been something wrong with me because I found my GCSEs bloody hard and I literally spent hours revising but still got a f all result.

Now that I'm at uni I'm thinking what a retard I must have been to find GCSEs hard...
I bunked most my lessons. Never listened in tripple science, and only revised intensely before the week of exams.

And I still got

ABBBBCCC - > Not to bad for a lazy person
Reply 31
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Just put time aside for revision during your exam leave, its not that bad. Do past papers instead of just reading notes, make revision active
I got 9A*s and 3As, not the best, but at least there are no Bs in there

Wow, that's very good! Not the best? :smile:

I will take your words and revise before the exams so I can achieve good results, hopefully I'll get them as good as yours.

One more question, in your secondary school did you have sets in subjects like science, maths and languages?
What set were you for these subjects?

Thanks,
Josh
Wow, that's very good! Not the best? :smile:

I will take your words and revise before the exams so I can achieve good results, hopefully I'll get them as good as yours.

One more question, in your secondary school did you have sets in subjects like science, maths and languages?
What set were you for these subjects?

Thanks,
Josh

We were only in sets for maths and physics, and I was top of those, but we were a grammar school so didn't really need sets
Reply 33
Science GCSE : Biology is easy for everyone, the other two can be harder..
Additional Science : Easier, because you know most of it from normal science.
English Language : Rather easy.
English Literature : Its more about knowing what the markers are looking for, and what you get marks for saying.
Maths : depends on you.
Geography : Pretty easy
RE : Easy
ICT : dead easy
Drama : REALLY FUN, REALLY GOOD. but hard because you can try to be too funny and get undermarked, and the written work is hard
Art : really hard.
PE : depends if you like it.
Reply 34
Just don't take art, or any form of design and technology or music and you will be fine. If you were good at the subject or you think you'll enjoy it, just don't...
Reply 35
To get the A* I'd say:

English Lang: Depends on 'flair' or how you perform on the day - but I'd say easy-moderate.
English Lit: Same as above
Maths: Most of it is easy, some moderate-hard.
Chemistry: Not too bad
Physics: Not too bad
Biology: Hardest out of the three sciences, grade boundary is always higher on my exam board, so moderate for me.
Geography: Easy
History: Moderate
RE: Easy, if you can write quick enough.
ICT: Easy-ish, coursework is horribly designed - I think we do the new Edexcel Spec :rolleyes:
French: If you're good at languages; easy-moderate, if you're not; moderate-hard

I think languages are the hardest GCSEs.
very easy, so don't worry you'll be fine, most gcse's are just about memorising theres no real application or evaluation :smile: Enjoy it, it will get a lot harder when you do A-Levels and then your degree if you want to go that far :tongue:
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Just put time aside for revision during your exam leave, its not that bad. Do past papers instead of just reading notes, make revision active
I got 9A*s and 3As, not the best, but at least there are no Bs in there

:O NOT THE BEST?! are you out of your mind?! i'd KILL to get those amazing results!!!
Reply 38
GCSEs for German are ridiculous.... they learn the answers by heart and got a good mark for nothing.
Original post by lilmissyox
:O NOT THE BEST?! are you out of your mind?! i'd KILL to get those amazing results!!!

Ah, sorry! Its just because in my school we had loads of people with 10 or above, so my grades were average in comparison.

Quick Reply

Latest