Turn on thread page Beta

Animal Work Experience Ideas! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    HELP

i'm running out of ideas for animal based work experience and was wondering if you guys had any good ideas!!
    This is my experience so far..
    - 1 day course of lambing
    - 2 weeks in kennels
    - many years at stables
    - volunteer at cats protection
    - Saturday job at local vets
    - 1 week large animal vet
    - 4 weeks at 3 different vet practices

I know that i need some dairy and some more lambing experience.
    I was thinking of a visit to an abattoir?
    Other than that i can't think of anything else i can do?

I live in Wrexham area and any contacts would also be great!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty good so far but like you said you could definitely do with some dairy work - as I said on another thread it's a v important industry. The course is lambing probably won't count as work experience, you will need to get on the job stuff if you want to count that, it's not necessary but looks really good on applications. the diff vet practices is great, they like to know you've seen a variety of them if you can another week or so at a large animal vet would be amazing too.

Other wise I've done a week on a pig farm
    Have heard of people who have gone to goat/alpaca/buffalo farms
    Chickens?
    RSPB/swan sanctuary type thing
    Veterinary Lab - i.e. the VLA
    Zoo - hard to get though
    Abbatoir - again v. hard to get in some places
    You say stables, could you get some stud or competition yard experience? Gives you a different aspect
    Reptile shop/exotics vet

(obviously these are all just suggestions, I think once you've got the dairy work you've got a really good mix. Another thing you could do is look at the uni's websites (the one's your interested in) Liverpool for example have quite strict outlines as to the amount of work exp you're supposed to have

Hope that's helpful!

ReputationRep:
    see if theres anything that would make your application stand out that you can get
    i worked with seals, llamas and dairy goats to try and make my app look different but dont try and substitute the basic work exp with these, make sure you get dairy and that kinda thing sorted first!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2011

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.