Turn on thread page Beta

What's a freshy and how to not be one? watch

Right, I'm an international student and I'll be starting university this year in the UK. I want to make the most of my time at university and make friends from all parts of the world which is primarily why I'm interested in universities outside my country.
    I'll be going to UCL, if it makes any difference :erm:.

Now I'll have to admit that not fitting in with other students has crossed the back of my mind, although I don't think there is any reason to. It's just that I have seen some posters being vehemently being critical of international students , so just wondering where that comes from? And any general advise on starting university as an international student?

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually looking forwards to meeting international students - it'll be a massive change from my little corner of the world, where 99% of people are white (really), everyone is British, and there is no diversity at all. It's pretty boring here. I'd imagine plenty of people feel the same and will be interested to befriend you and learn about where you're from

Fresh like cream. :gangster: :bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    A freshie is a term used to refer to an immigrant to the UK with a "funny" accent and who don't speak very good English. In my school it was mainly used in the context to refer to South-Asian people. As I had a lot of South-Asian people in my school.

For a better insight into this phrase read this urban dictionary article.

I know you could do better than UD but the word "freshie" isn't exactly Oxford English Dictionary stuff eh? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    a freshy over here means a freshman

ReputationRep:
    I guess a freshie is another word for a fresher, or basically a new first year student. The only advice I can give you, is to get involved in as many societies/clubs etc as possible and meet lots of people in the same position. If you are worried that being an international student will alienate you in some way, don't be. I'm sure home students will be just as willing to befriend you as other international students will be. It might be worth joining the international student society at your university, that way you can meet people who are probably feeling the same as you. xx

ReputationRep:
    freshie= fresher = newbie = 1st year x

(Original post by Cinnamon_Twist)
    Is this you?
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...:0&tx=79&ty=51
    If so, you have a problem. If not, DW/
    desirags. :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Fresh from the boat yaar !

ReputationRep:
    Well....as a Brit I should tell you that Brits tend to be quite cliquey, and tend either to intentionally or subconsciously exclude others. Don't expect them to go out of their way to be your friend. Then again I'm friends with international students (possibly because I have experience with freshies being half-Indian myself ) And I do see some Brits with international friends.

At my uni I've noticed that most international students, despite where they are from, tend to hang together, but for some reason most of the Brits don't mix up with them much. Possibly too busy getting pissed. Then again I don't think it bothers the international students, they seem perfectly happy regardless.

Just make an effort to get to know everyone really. If some people don't reciprocate, don't take it too personally, just find other friends. Some of the international students I know (from Brazil, Norway, Germany, etc) are cooler than most Brits I've met at uni anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a freshy in the Netherlands. Dutch people socialize with me alot. I'm not sure how you can avoid being one if you are a foreigner though!

ReputationRep:
    To avoid the 'freshy' label, do not wear sandals when it's snowing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really looking forward to meeting lots of different people at uni, there's not much of a mix at my school.

As for tips not to become excluded, as someone already said get involved with stuff and talk to people, particularly in the first few weeks. Don't spend all your time in your room and you'll be fine.

(My friend is at uni at the moment and got put in a flat with chinese students who spend all their time in their rooms and never talk to her. That's an example of how not to make friends. safe to say she will not be living with them next year)

ReputationRep:
    Don't be the stereotypical brown dude with sandals and don't burst out singing when you see hot girls.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't act like your fresh off the banana boat then you won't be a freshie. simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Right, I'm an international student and I'll be starting university this year in the UK. I want to make the most of my time at university and make friends from all parts of the world which is primarily why I'm interested in universities outside my country.
    I'll be going to UCL, if it makes any difference :erm:.

Now I'll have to admit that not fitting in with other students has crossed the back of my mind, although I don't think there is any reason to. It's just that I have seen some posters being vehemently being critical of international students , so just wondering where that comes from? And any general advise on starting university as an international student?
    OP where exactly are you from? (if you don't mind me asking)

ReputationRep:
    Do not sit in the library with curry!!!!!! Or whatever food that stinks, and is a cultural dish for you

(Original post by nerd1234)
    OP where exactly are you from? (if you don't mind me asking)
    why?

(Original post by humble_bumble)
    Do not sit in the library with curry!!!!!! Or whatever food that stinks, and is a cultural dish for you
    might do that for the lols now that you mention it

ReputationRep:
    lol. dont worry, you will be fine. UCL has copious amounts of international students

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2011
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.