Turn on thread page Beta

Why?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever question why you do things? What it is that makes you get up in the morning, besides necessity or obligation? Why are we here and is not everything in vain at the end of the day?
    I don't understand if people know what they what in a very specific way or if they simply live the day without questionning what we are here for...

ReputationRep:
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    my brain can't comprehend it...

ReputationRep:
    I always remember hearing a talk by a climber and someone asked him, why do you do it? Why put yourself through that? His reply? 'Just because they're there'
    I guess some people simply have a 'just because' attitude.
    why we're here and why we do what we do has been disputed forever, it may be subjective, it may be one aim, some people would get too frustrated without a definitive answer. . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    my brain can't comprehend it...
    Neither can mine..

I meant do you know what your purpose in life is?

ReputationRep:
    Because we know no different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellybee)
    Because we know no different.
    Yes, but still aren't we living a pretence? How can you do something without knowing why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Mikada*)
    Neither can mine..

I meant do you know what your purpose in life is?
    Pretty much impossible to answer :dontknow: Reading a bit of philosophy helps, not that much tbh

ReputationRep:
    Why did you post this thread? What made you do it, apart from your desire to know why people do other things?

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever question why you do things? What it is that makes you get up in the morning, besides necessity or obligation? Why are we here and is not everything in vain at the end of the day?
    I don't understand if people know what they what in a very specific way or if they simply live the day without questionning what we are here for...
    Used to when I was little, but now I think differently.

What makes me get up in the morning? You answered it. People have things to do, lives to live, people to see. We're very busy, the human race.

Everyone has an ambition or a goal that they work towards. Mine at the moment, is to get through my GCSEs, A-Levels, uni and then get a decent job that is well paid.
    I question why I'm here sometimes and I always end up thinking to do the best that I can to succeed. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stargazer23)
    Why did you post this thread? What made you do it, apart from your desire to know why people do other things?
    Because I very often ask myself this question..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree-Ree-Real:p)
    Used to when I was little, but now I think differently.

What makes me get up in the morning? You answered it. People have things to do, lives to live, people to see. We're very busy, the human race.

Everyone has an ambition or a goal that they work towards. Mine at the moment, is to get through my GCSEs, A-Levels, uni and then get a decent job that is well paid.
    I question why I'm here sometimes and I always end up thinking to do the best that I can to succeed. Simple.
    Doesn't it leave a sense of emptiness in a sense though, if we just live through necessity? Surely there is more to life than that?

ReputationRep:
    Because you would end up doing nothing, and doing nothing would leave you very bored.

Ultimately nobody knows 'why?', we just carry on presuming or at least hoping there is a reason. Also, many live in blissful ignorance. Another thing is religion, people who have faith tend to think they do have a reason for doing things.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it leave a sense of emptiness in a sense though, if we just live through necessity? Surely there is more to life than that?
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    People tend not to value the little things which make our world great from rather imposing things like architecture right down to the fundamentals like anatomy and philosophy. People should ask why (although it can become very depressing very quickly- especially when you think that you are a part of a system ie. born, educated, job, die - that doesent sound nice )

ReputationRep:
    Like what? Give me an example. What is there to life, that we don't have?

ReputationRep:
    Only have one life so may as well do something with it, even if it is futile or meaningless in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    How can you do something without knowing why?
    It's pretty damn easy.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

If you're trying to find an inert reason in life, I don't think there is any. You create your own answers to your why, imo.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.