How do you get an A in History/English AS? Watch

confused dot com
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm trying really hard and revising loads, but I haven't really read much around the subjects. Is it too late or is there extra that I can do from now?
paniking_and_not_revising
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Extra reading isn't required but it does help build your knowledge. Just go to a library and find a book or two related to what you're studying (this applies more for History than Englit) and read it.

But I really suggest practicing essays and learning to write quickly so you don't run out of time in exams.
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For history extra reading really does pay off! Learning the technique as well helps. Past questions are your friend. In the exam don't be afraid to quote historians to back your claims.

For English I tell you this. Be passionate about what you're writing about. Once I learnt to do that I went from E to being one Mark off an A.

Hope this helps
-aimz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You don't really need to do extra reading (not at AS anyway). I'd just practice essay writing for history - make loads of plans for exam answers and separate your answer into themes - political,social,economic etc,it makes it more coherent and organised.

English it's useful to get some text guides for the books you're studying - they give you some new perspectives on them which are interesting to the examiner,who see the same stuff repeated hundreds of time! You need to really make your answers unique and imaginative,not like everyone else.
~*Horse_Mad*~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't speak for English but I did History A-Level and I found watching films/tv programmes, talking to ppl and reading books relating to the topics you're studying really help to keep information in
It is important to read around the subject and to use different references as you could remember a conversation you had with someone better than if you read a boring textbook - well, imo anyways
Keep practicing answering the essay questions in the time scale given so you'll find a pattern of writing that suits you - Good Luck!!
charcharchar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
history- extra reading fo' sure then you can show off that extra knowledge to the examiners, and they'll definitely credit you for it and timelines are always good, for y AS i put a big long time line along my wall, it really puts things into perspective. also, flash cards are good, if you're doing kings/queens or presidents/rpime ministers try to remember time periods and events by these

hope that helped
mellie220
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No extra reading is needed, if you do edexcel in unit one just learn 'enough' content and focus on the exam technique (I went in not knowing much but because I knew the technique I got an A). Also, cross reference so much with the sources!

Unit 2 (if you're on edexcel) the content is so important, but do not waste your time with the minor things, learning acts/treaties etc. are helpful.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?