This discussion is closed.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I just know to many people things like this has happened to. This was not just a one off, even myself have survived what should have been clearly death. I once missed getting run over by a bus by literly about 1cm. I actually thought I was gonna until the bus went sailing passed and I was still standing.
So? You weren't hit by a bus. I, also, have been fortunate enough to avoid getting hit by a bus. Plenty of people haven't. Are you saying that it's somehow part of God's plan to keep you alive? What makes you so special?

Sorry if I come across as a bit ... er ... nasty! I just don't believe that these events have any significance. You just happened to be out of bus hitting range. Only just, but still. It may have been a bit weird and scary, but it doesn't mean that there is a God or an afterlife, or anything beyond what we can see and feel. It's just your basic rules of bus movement.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by love_4_ducks)
according to my rs teacher u sld beliv in the after life cos wen u die n god is waitn 4 ya ull feel a bit stupid as hgod is waiting 4 ya. u all betta start beliving as 2morow u ll mite gt run ova by a bus
Bloody hell. The English language is one of the more beautiful things on the planet, and you've murdered it in one fell swoop. Please spell words proplery, that is just too much effort to read. Is it really that hard to type 'tomorrow' instead of '2morrow'???
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
just thought you deserved some
awwww well... um.. thanks! but y? (no im not a big head just wonderin lol)

im off 4 lunch now, tlak l8as! cya x
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
awwww well... um.. thanks! but y? (no im not a big head just wonderin lol)

im off 4 lunch now, tlak l8as! cya x
see ya l8r
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
So? You weren't hit by a bus. I, also, have been fortunate enough to avoid getting hit by a bus. Plenty of people haven't. Are you saying that it's somehow part of God's plan to keep you alive? What makes you so special?

Sorry if I come across as a bit ... er ... nasty! I just don't believe that these events have any significance. You just happened to be out of bus hitting range. Only just, but still. It may have been a bit weird and scary, but it doesn't mean that there is a God or an afterlife, or anything beyond what we can see and feel. It's just your basic rules of bus movement.
I aint gonna lie i dont really believe in afterlife because personally thats then and this is now. But i dont think you should be able to criticise what someone's beliefs are. Here's a question for you...would you turn round and tell a young child that santa doesn't exist or would you let them figure it out for themself????
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago

how do you do that
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm, good analogy. I wouldn't tell a kid that Santa doesn't exist. I see the Santa thing as a little white lie, and they do tend to figure it out at quite a young age. Some people never figure out the lie about God at all! Bizarre.

I don't see my comments as criticising another person's beliefs as such - I'm just putting across my own beliefs. And, once you get to the age where you can make up your own mind about religion, the after life, and Santa, a bit of debate is a good thing.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm, good analogy. I wouldn't tell a kid that Santa doesn't exist. I see the Santa thing as a little white lie, and they do tend to figure it out at quite a young age. Some people never figure out the lie about God at all! Bizarre.

I don't see my comments as criticising another person's beliefs as such - I'm just putting across my own beliefs. And, once you get to the age where you can make up your own mind about religion, the after life, and Santa, a bit of debate is a good thing.
A bit of debate may be a good thing. But debating religion or the existence of God has been proven otherwise. Still, if one enteres into such a debate, they have only themselves to blame if they get upset about it. (as quite a few seem to do)
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
A bit of debate may be a good thing. But debating religion or the existence of God has been proven otherwise. Still, if one enteres into such a debate, they have only themselves to blame if they get upset about it. (as quite a few seem to do)
Good point - this kind of argument just tends to make people dig their heels in and get pissed off. It doesn't usually change people's minds.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Good point - this kind of argument just tends to make people dig their heels in and get pissed off. It doesn't usually change people's minds.
Precisely. Though a debate, when done right, should never change a persons mind. Yet simply open their eyes to a previously unknown idea to that person. Teaching in one of its finer forms Though, rarely done right sadly
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Precisely. Though a debate, when done right, should never change a persons mind. Yet simply open their eyes to a previously unknown idea to that person. Teaching in one of its finer forms Though, rarely done right sadly
It can change their mind as a result of opening their eyes to a new idea.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It can change their mind as a result of opening their eyes to a new idea.
But then, you're no longer debating with someone. More a kind of lecturing.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I find that the most convincing arguments are when you disprove an idea that they already don't believe in, then show them how it matches their beliefs. eg. read the diskworld books as they mock outragous religion then draw paralels to christianity and other major religions.
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Nicely said!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (233)
61.48%
Yes- I don't like it (17)
4.49%
No- I want it (104)
27.44%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.6%

Watched Threads