Work Experience Thread Watch

laura_802
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I thought I would create a thread for everyone to share their stories about applying for work experience and work experience placements. This doesn't include vacations schemes as there is already a thread for that.

I'm a first year non-law student currently *trying* to gain legal work experience. Currently I would say I've applied to around 8 firms, had two rejections and one 'you've been put on our file.'

I'm just wondering how many applications it took everyone else to gain work experience? And whether it was in an international/national/regional/highstreet firm.
Lell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's really good to make use of your connections, if you have any. I got two work experience placements last year through friends parents/ friends of friends.
laura_802
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lell)
I think it's really good to make use of your connections, if you have any. I got two work experience placements last year through friends parents/ friends of friends.
Yeah I know a few people who have done that. Unfortunately I don't have any connections like that though. Are you a second year? x
Lell
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, I'm an oldie Currently doing the LPC.
laura_802
Rep:
?
Oh I see. Did you get any work experience in your first year at all? And what sort of firms did you eventually get work experience in. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm getting a bit disheartened at the moment and am trying to gauge other peoples experiences.
Lell
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, first year was a looong time ago for me! I got work experience in a high street firm and in a regional commercial firm, the latter as a friend's dad is a partner there.
Laura_93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,
i recently done a weeks work experience at the school of pharmacy, what do you think is the minimum amount of work experience that unis look for??
Laura_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
sorry i just realised this is for law.
laura_802
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laura_93)
Hi,
i recently done a weeks work experience at the school of pharmacy, what do you think is the minimum amount of work experience that unis look for??
I think unis just look to see that you have an interest in the field you are applying for. If you are interested in pharmacy maybe you could apply for some work experience in different types of pharmacies e.g hospital, highstreet etc. It might be worth also seeing if you can go to a pharmaceutical manufacturing company for a couple of days.
laura_802
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lell)
Nope, first year was a looong time ago for me! I got work experience in a high street firm and in a regional commercial firm, the latter as a friend's dad is a partner there.
Oh right. Good luck with the LPC x
Laura_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
okay thanks
I'm not completely sure what I want to do yet so I think i'm going to get as much work experience as possible in all different places.
MediterraneanX
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have work experienced provisionally lined up at an American firm in London through a solicitor friend. Other than that I found that whenever I applied to local firms for experience they all said yes and whenever I tried to follow it up my emails were never returned? I think who you know is a massive factor - try to use as many contacts as possible.
jjarvis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by malvika111)
I'm not entirely sure where else to post, so I've decided to intrude upon this thread. I've been accepted to do a mini-pupillage (just a couple of days in the summer) with Herbert Smith, and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm only 16 and going a little bit crazy!
I think this is the thread you're looking for! Mini-pupillages are a few days of work experience with a chambers--pupillage is the final stage of training to become a barrister. It sounds like you've been accepted for work experience at Herbert Smith, which is less formal experience at solicitors' firms for people who don't have a degree yet. Congratulations on your offer, and enjoy it!
jjarvis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MediterraneanX)
I have work experienced provisionally lined up at an American firm in London through a solicitor friend. Other than that I found that whenever I applied to local firms for experience they all said yes and whenever I tried to follow it up my emails were never returned? I think who you know is a massive factor - try to use as many contacts as possible.
If you're a final year law student, do you mind if I ask why you didn't just apply for vac schemes? You'd certainly be eligible to apply for most of them. The deadlines has passed for many, but by no means for all.
laura_802
Rep:
?
I agree. My friends with contacts are definitely finding it a lot easier to get work experience than I am. Oh well. On the plus side, after filling out all these applications/sending all these C.Vs I definitely think my 'application filling' technique is improving lol. x
MediterraneanX
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jjarvis)
If you're a final year law student, do you mind if I ask why you didn't just apply for vac schemes? You'd certainly be eligible to apply for most of them. The deadlines has passed for many, but by no means for all.
I did and unfortunately I was rejected from all of them, as were many of my friends who all had 3/4 A grade alevels and on a mid+ 2.1. I will keep reapplying to schemes applicable to non-second years but in the mean time I'm having to build up my experience in local firms and through contacts. Hopefully having a big american firm on my CV will be a little boost.
jjarvis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did and unfortunately I was rejected from all of them, as were many of my friends who all had 3/4 A grade alevels and on a mid+ 2.1. I will keep reapplying to schemes applicable to non-second years but in the mean time I'm having to build up my experience in local firms and through contacts. Hopefully having a big american firm on my CV will be a little boost.
Ah, right. A lot of my friends had the same problem. Yeah, the experience should be a boost. Mind if I ask which firm?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (186)
18.96%
No (590)
60.14%
Not really bothered about them (205)
20.9%

Watched Threads