Journalism to PGCE Watch

Meeee :)
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm doing a Journalism degree at the moment and I've started thinking about possibly going into teaching after I've finished.

I had a look on the PGCE website about what qualifications I'd need to get onto the course and it said I'd have to do a subject that was directly relevant to the subject I wanted to teach... Does anyone know if Journalism would be classed as "directly relevant" to teaching English?
Rep:
?
Anyone?
NeonSkies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If there is a lot of content in your degree that is related to the subject you wish to teach it is quite possible that you could teach English. My history teacher for example did a Politics degree and as part of his training converted to History.

If your degree subject does not link closely to the subject you intend to teach, you may improve your ability to gain a place on an initial teacher training (ITT) programme by following a subject knowledge enhancement course.

Visit this link: http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teach...hancement.aspx to find out about the subject enhancement course.

I hope this helps
Rep:
?
Thankyou!
yellow96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
DjGrizzlyPaws
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Journalism isn't a curriculum subject, so you'd have to teach that in a college rather than compulsory school age.

You're other option would be to look at something like RE, Citizenship....or Primary. But primary is very hard to get on as it's way oversubscribed

Or u can do the ske mentioned above. That takes 6 months or a year tho!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
27.42%
No (90)
72.58%

Watched Threads