The Student Room Group

Is work experience necessary for a Maths degree?

Apologies if you have seen these threads a million times. Just wondering how disadvantaged i would be in the application process if i didn't have work experience when compared to somebody who has
Reply 1
I didn't have any and I have a Cambridge offer.

I'm not really sure what you'd do as maths work experience, to be honest.
No!
Reply 3
I didn't have any either, what exactly would Maths work experience consist of anyway? :rolleyes:
The most sort of work experience I could see you doing at our age would be actually in college.

I go to our Math after school 'Extension' classes for people who are struggling and help out with those who do GCSE/Use of Maths/ Normal Maths A Level (and even some Further Maths if I'm absolutely sure I understand it well enough to be teaching it - the last thing I want to be doing is confusing people). Some find that having a student helping them with it is more beneficial than a teacher as sometimes teachers haven't actually had to learn it like a student for 20-30 years. Other sort of see me as a pariah and avoid me because they think they're stupid if they have to get help from someone their own age. I don't blame them. I think I would feel a little uncomfortable too.

I also tutor my sister with Maths, but to be honest, sometimes I feel that does more harm than good.

Anyway, that wouldn't really be work experience, per se, but I guess you could say it has given you an idea of one role you could fill once you have a Maths degree. I definitely enjoy helping those who want to be helped.
Reply 5
Original post by Aphalleon
Apologies if you have seen these threads a million times. Just wondering how disadvantaged i would be in the application process if i didn't have work experience when compared to somebody who has

I did have work experience shadowing an engineering/physics academic. I can't exactly say they were amazingly interested. I have to say though work experience for maths is more for yourself rather than for your PS. E.g. I wanted to see whether I would like the academic environment. If you manage to get maths work experience (perhaps in a uni maths department) that would be good but not essential.
Reply 6
Maths isn't reallya subject where work experience is needed, I did some work experience at my dad's work but I wouldn't say it was beneficial to my application, your ability to solve mathematical problems is more important. Good luck :smile:
As they so, no, not to get you on a maths degree. But it is more important in getting a job afterwards if you are not heading for an academic career. For example many maths graduates are interested in possibly working in investment banking, and to see if that is for them might try to get on one of the spring weeks that banks run for first years. The difficulty there is having something on your CV when you apply in Sept of your first year.

Many maths students are doing a maths degree as they are good at maths and they love it, which is great. A while ago a good maths degree was was enough to get a decent job with out too much trouble. These days things like internships in your second year important, and you have to apply for everything really early.

Quick Reply

Latest