Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my Grade 6 Piano exam soon, and in every exam before, I've been so nervous that I've messed up at least once. I really want to do well in my exam, because I know that I can play well, but only when I'm alone. Are there any foods or other things that help get rid of nerves? I've heard bananas help?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I tried the banana and chocolate thing for my grade 4 flute exam. Seemed to work, got 117/150... How much that was down to the fact I'd started to really nail my scales over xmas and the exam wasnt until April, or the fact the examiner wasnt horrid idk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd123)
    I'm doing my Grade 6 Piano exam soon, and in every exam before, I've been so nervous that I've messed up at least once. I really want to do well in my exam, because I know that I can play well, but only when I'm alone. Are there any foods or other things that help get rid of nerves? I've heard bananas help?

Thanks in advance
    Just RELAX! I know it's easier said than done, but just remember that the examiner wants you to do well and your piano teacher entered you because you are ready!

In regards to food, dont eat any dairy products as it will affect your singing in the aural. When I had my exams I liked to each a small piece of chocolate to calm down.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Start playing in front of people - otherwise, what's the point? Take every performance opportunity that presents itself, play for your mates, your family anyone. Take every criticism as a positive suggestion (not an insult) and be selective of which you respond to.

Ultimately that's what happens in the exam. You get the chance to play for someone with good ears and a load of experience who is going to tell you what is good about your playing and what needs work. People pay a lot of money for that!

You'll still be nervous but you can use it - it gives you the adrenalin edge if you're well prepared.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    When we had a chamber concert at school, I played the piano.
    And I kept telling myself "Your stupid headmaster who thinks he is the most important person ever will have to shut up while you can take as much time on stage as you want". This thought really distracted me from my nerves, and the people who are most important to me had already told me that I played the piece really well.
    Maybe you too can find such a thing to hold on to

And try to get the first bars as "safe" as you can, because a good start is always very encouraging!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    for the future, look up NLP and CBT techniques for relaxation and overcoming fears like this. It helped me a hell of a lot.
    For now, you need to try calm yourself down in general. Deep breathing, not thinking anything bad, happy thoughts?
    x good luck

ReputationRep:
    I once had someone tell me that nerves are good, because after the performance you'll feel on top of the world with adrenaline which is totally true! My musician friends say that the day they stop getting nerves is the day they stop performing - nerves have got to happen, so don't worry the examiner totally understands! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh Lady)
    When we had a chamber concert at school, I played the piano.
    And I kept telling myself "Your stupid headmaster who thinks he is the most important person ever will have to shut up while you can take as much time on stage as you want". This thought really distracted me from my nerves, and the people who are most important to me had already told me that I played the piece really well.
    Maybe you too can find such a thing to hold on to

And try to get the first bars as "safe" as you can, because a good start is always very encouraging!

Good luck!
    I think I could use that myself. Our head really does love the sound of his own voice too much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.