Warwick BS or McGill? Watch

Mikel020202
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Dear everyone,
I am an international student, and I have received unconditionnal offer from:
Warwick Business School (Management Bsc)
McGill Desautels Faculty of Management (Mgmt BsC also)
but I have no idea which one is the best. McGill is ranked among the 15 best universities in the world, but I've heard that Warwick is the best BS in the UK (theGuardian) , so all of this is a bit shady to me.
Which one of these twho would you chose, and why? WHich one gives the best job opportunities, or improves your CV/allows you to go to the best graduates programs if you earn good grades, etc?
Thank you!

m
adam0311
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Warwick, no questions asked.
Mikel020202
Rep:
?
but could you please explain me why I should choose WBS over McGill?
DiCaprio
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Id tend to say Warwick.
adam0311
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mikel020202)
but could you please explain me why I should choose WBS over McGill?
What do you need explained?

I know you aren't going for an MBA, but look at the starting salaries from the two programs. McGill has a measly 80k-85k starting salary, that's pitiful for an MBA program--but also represents what McGill has to offer. McGill is also struggling financially, this is a pretty known fact. It was never strong in the management/finance area to start with, but money issues sure aren't helping things. If you are dead set on working in Canada, then McGill might be an OKAY option...but there are far more finance/management jobs in London than there are in Toronto.
donkeykonk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey dude,

Warwick is definitely very good in business and getting better and better, Mcgill is very internationnally recognized but are not as good at warwick in business subjects from my opinion, I think your decision should be based on where you wanna study... if you wanna stay close to your family? where would you be leaving in the future etc....
Mikel020202
Rep:
?
thank you so much for your answers, i'm still in doubt though. the thing is, McGill is way more famous in my country, I don't know how things are in England, if Warwick is a powerful "brand" that brings you some of the best job opportunities, but I also thought that, contrarly to what donkeykonk said, McGill was good at Business. Their bachelor of commerce is the most competitive and the program with the higher requirements of the whole university, so I really don't know.......
adam0311
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thank you so much for your answers, i'm still in doubt though. the thing is, McGill is way more famous in my country, I don't know how things are in England, if Warwick is a powerful "brand" that brings you some of the best job opportunities, but I also thought that, contrarly to what donkeykonk said, McGill was good at Business. Their bachelor of commerce is the most competitive and the program with the higher requirements of the whole university, so I really don't know.......
Warwick is a very powerful name in finance. 100x more powerful than McGill's. Perhaps, your country's entry requirements are different....but for the US, its pretty easy to get into the BCom and is definitely not the most competitive. Further, McGill is not competitive to start with. What country are you in? Perhaps you have a misconceived perception of McGill's rep?
donkeykonk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From which country do you come from?

You have two very different uni's here, in two different countries both are good, Mcgill is maybe better known as a Uni globally, but Business is far from being their best courses, I'm sure you have read this in other forums. Warwick on the other hand is really good in business, acc and finance and economics but maybe due to the fact that's it a young uni isnt as famous as Mcgill as a UNI.... in the end as I have said earlier you should choose on where you wanna study? where are your friends going? Where do you think you would be happier and everything come on your on 2 different continents here
Mikel020202
Rep:
?
I mean, i'd rather study in Montreal than in Coventry, I've heard that it is such a great city! and also the fact that McGill is ranked 12th or so in the world by the Times Magazine....but now that you tell me, if the program I want is a crappy one, I really don't know what to do...
air-ninety-one
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
wtf is mcgill?
Mikel020202
Rep:
?
(Original post by air-ninety-one)
wtf is mcgill?
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/home
donkeykonk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
then if you think you'll be happier there then go there...
Mikel020202
Rep:
?
I don't even know about that. I think that both are academically equivalent but...
chad_bro_chill
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adam0311)
Further, McGill is not competitive to start with. What country are you in? Perhaps you have a misconceived perception of McGill's rep?
Clearly, you also have a misconception of McGill.

McGill has the highest average entering grades of all the Canadian universities, and is very competitive.

Now, having said that, the BCom at McGill, while still being an excellent program, does not stand out from the other similar Canadian programs as the UNI itself does.
As mentioned by several people already, the BCom at McGill is not really their strong suit, and programs at York, U of T, and probably a few others in Canada are actually better ranked than McGill's Dessautel Faculty of Management.

While the uni as a whole is consistently ranked in the top 2 in Canada (with UofT), I would still choose Warwick for the reasons people have already mentioned.
Unless you see yourself developing a career in Canada...
adam0311
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chad_bro_chill)
Clearly, you also have a misconception of McGill.

McGill has the highest average entering grades of all the Canadian universities, and is very competitive.

Now, having said that, the BCom at McGill, while still being an excellent program, does not stand out from the other similar Canadian programs as the UNI itself does.
As mentioned by several people already, the BCom at McGill is not really their strong suit, and programs at York, U of T, and probably a few others in Canada are actually better ranked than McGill's Dessautel Faculty of Management.

While the uni as a whole is consistently ranked in the top 2 in Canada (with UofT), I would still choose Warwick for the reasons people have already mentioned.
Unless you see yourself developing a career in Canada...
Where is the misconception bro? Unless you are using competitive in relative terms, its really not that competitive for internationals.
Mikel020202
Rep:
?
Where is the misconception bro? Unless you are using competitive in relative terms, its really not that competitive for internationals.
You can't say that McGill isn't competitive, it's the #1 university in one of the world's leading country.
adam0311
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can't say that McGill isn't competitive, it's the #1 university in one of the world's leading country.
A US applicant can have about an SAT score of 630's across the board and get accepted. To put this in perspective that's about median at OSU, Syracuse, and other big US state schools.

Look, McGill is a fine but it places nowhere near Warwick when it comes to finance.
Mikel020202
Rep:
?
A US applicant can have about an SAT score of 630's across the board and get accepted. To put this in perspective that's about median at OSU, Syracuse, and other big US state schools.

Look, McGill is a fine but it places nowhere near Warwick when it comes to finance.
thank you really much for your opinion. I see your point regarding finance, but if my objective is to work in a management consulting firm after graduating? Do you have an opinion? Any advice is accepeted
adam0311
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thank you really much for your opinion. I see your point regarding finance, but if my objective is to work in a management consulting firm after graduating? Do you have an opinion? Any advice is accepeted
I would shoot for tier 2 consultancies like parthenon, etc. McGill is probably very well suited for these gigs and from what I understand gets decent recruitment. What city are you planning on going for?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (9)
37.5%
No (15)
62.5%

Watched Threads