Need help with laptops!!!!!!!!!!! Watch

jackondrums
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys, I am in year 11 at the moment and I am doing computing and media at the sixth form but I am unsure what laptop to buy, I don't know whether I need windows for computing or not, if I don't need windows then a mackbook pro may be an option but if I do need windows then what is the best laptop I can get from £600-£1000
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
unless you intend to do computing at uni...I'd say don't spend more than 700, and wait for all the "back to school" offers that are around september next year....

especially as intel are about to release the sandy bridge processors within the next month or so, so you might as well wait a bit
Gubey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it doesn't interfere with your course too much, get a MacBook Pro - they are fantastic!
VisualKiddy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
MacBooks are pathetic, you'll be learning C or VB.net (most likely, anyway, afaik), you don't need anything special.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wait until you're looking at university before investing in a high priced laptop, from what I'm told all software-related work in A Level ICT gets done during classtime and you'll only need your laptop for typing up coursework. By the time you decide what to do after A Levels your needs may have changed to the point where a specific computer/brand is essential, and you'll get better value for money then too. Speak to whoever will be teaching the course and see what they recommend.
That being said, Apple machines can run both operating systems (Even simultaneously using a program called Parallels), which means you wouldn't have any operating-system based worries. Getting one would give you access to any Windows-exclusive programs while a Windows machine has no way of running Mac-exclusive software (Most notably Final Cut Pro, the industry standard movie editor. Not something that you need to worry about for your A Levels, but if you planned on pursuing this branch of media further then you'd essentially have to get a Mac)
jackondrums
Rep:
?
so would I also be able to play heavy games on a macbook pro?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jackondrums)
so can i use computing programs like microsoft visual studio on a mac? and I kinda would like a laptop that I can play games on to
Being a Microsoft exclusive, you won't be able to install that program straight onto a Mac. What you can do, is install Windows onto your Mac, and then install it onto this newly created operating system. This is done by essentially dividing your Hard Drive into two sections- one for OSX, one for Windows. Once done the two halves essentially act as completely independent hard drives, one formatted for each OS. Opening up Windows will then allow you to install and run Windows Programs. The two most popular ways of doing this are:
http://www.apple.com/why-mac/its-compatible/#windows, where you choose which operating system you want to launch at startup.
Parallels, which runs Windows inside OS X, meaning you can access it without restarting.
jackondrums
Rep:
?
so is there a mac version of microsoft visual studio?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Macs are undeniably more expensive for the specs, and not suited to hardcore gamers. They are certainly viable for gaming, but it's a lot more expensive to get a Mac that will handle high-spec games than a comparably spec'd windows machine. For example the cheapest MacBook which comes with any dedicated graphics memory is the 15" base model, weighing in at £1549. The solution most people take is to buy a Pro for their actual needs and complement it with a gaming desktop, it can work out cheaper than buying a single "gaming Mac" if you know where to shop.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so is there a mac version of microsoft visual studio?
No, Microsoft stopped building mac versions of their programs a few years ago. You have to run it through dual boot as detailed above.
Seble
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you got the high end new 15 inch MBP with the 1GB graphics card, that would be fine for gaming, but for most games you would want to play, you would be required to run windows under it.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi guys, I am in year 11 at the moment and I am doing computing and media at the sixth form but I am unsure what laptop to buy, I don't know whether I need windows for computing or not, if I don't need windows then a mackbook pro may be an option but if I do need windows then what is the best laptop I can get from £600-£1000
Sorry... why do you need a laptop?
jackondrums
Rep:
?
for work, coding and a little gaming
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
for work, coding and a little gaming
what are you working on at the moment?

if its just for A-levels, then your not going to need anything spectacular...
if you want it for gaming though, well then thats different, and I would first ask, is a laptop a must? becasuse a desktop, will be much more conveniant+cheap, if you want something to game on...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads