How much would studying medicine cost? Watch

Newbie123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

I'm currently studying A-Levels in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Lit.. And am hoping to go on to study medicine at a top university.

From what I understand medical school is six years long (after that I gather that your paid internship (FY1) starts?) however I was wondering how much that would cost (actual course and maybe living costs) at a university like Oxford, Imperial etc.

My mother is a single parent to two and I currently receive £30 a week as EMA, so as you can imagine I'm not from the most financially privileged background.

Also, on a side note, do different courses vary greatly in terms of cost? Because I'm also considering a course in Maths as an alternative, especially if its significantly cheaper than medicine.

Sorry if this in the wrong section...
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
as you are doing 4 subjects, I'll assume you are in yr 12 doing AS levels...

medicine will cost you lots as you will be in the new 9k fee system and medicine is 5yrs long, that said...as you are from a non-privileged background, you will probably get lots of help as well....

maths would be cheaper, but only as it would be 2 years shorter than medicine.....

but if medicine is what you want to do, don't let something as silly as fees stop you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (956)
79.93%
Leave (240)
20.07%

Watched Threads