Turn on thread page Beta

How do I get my curly hair back?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to have properly curly hair a few years ago; although it had a tendency to frizz I loved it. Now it's wavy-ish, but doesn't really curl properly any more. It's pretty much flat til the very ends and I've had to resort to tying it up in a bun wet to get any kind of a wave to it. Even using curling tongs the curls drop out after about an hour

My hair's fine but quite thick, past shoulder length, and I really want my bouncy curls back! I miss them, and I'm not sure what happened! Any ideas? Ways to style from wet, products, things I can do to make my hair curlier again?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cut it.

I had short hair and it was really curly - now it's grown to mid back and it's lost it all (yet it's not perfectly straight - styling it is just impossible!).

ReputationRep:
    pics?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm going to try and make this work, bear with me...

My hair 3 years ago:

Then about a year ago, when it wasn't as curly but still nice (this was dried curly overnight and then curled with tongs a few hours before the pic was taken- the curls have mostly fallen out, but there's enough left that I like it):

Then it just went yuck. I mean, look at this! And this is with actual styling and trying to make it go curly! (And I've got fatter, which also makes it look horrible, but let's not go into that):

any advice on what do do with it? I'm thinking about cutting it shorter again, but I wish there was a way to have longer curly hair!

ReputationRep:
    Your hair looks awesome straight! Also, how did it go from wavy to straight suddenly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FullMetalX)
    Your hair looks awesome straight! Also, how did it go from wavy to straight suddenly?
    I didn't mind it when it was straight most of the way down but curly at the ends, but now it's just flat most of the way down and it's difficult to style it as anything
    I could just straighten it, but that style of hair doesn't really feel like "me", plus it's not good for your hair to do it all the time. I just feel like for my face shape, body type and personality I need a bit of curl to my hair. I want it to be big and bouncy!

It took a while to go straighter. I think it was a mixture of changing to moisturising shampoo and conditioner and having regular hair masks (really helped the frizz but also weighed it down), growing it longer gradually over the years, and the Remington Wet to Straight hair straightener I got 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't use it all the time, but it's a VERY good straightener and after a while it was difficult to make my hair as curly anymore. It's like the straightness stayed.

I have the hair described on one website as, "Hair that you always believed was straight.
    Had straight hair when you were very young and possibly wavy hair after puberty.
    Hair that occassionally develops a natural wave after coming out of the shower and at the beach.
    A slight halo of frizz and frizz on the ends of the hair on humid days.
    Hair that has a tendancy to look unmaintained and flat on the crown.
    Hair that appears straight in the winter.
    Hair that is dry on the ends.
    "

It's bloody annoying. I just want some kind of style again!

ReputationRep:
    Get a perm?

ReputationRep:
    Your hair is AWESOME!! I would kill for hair like that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
    Get a perm?
    I've been thinking about that actually. Even just the one that gives your roots more volume or something. I'd have to find a fantastic hairdresser who knew how to do it really well though. It's so permanent, it's a bit scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletMoon)
    Your hair is AWESOME!! I would kill for hair like that..
    Thanks! Which picture in particular though? Cos in the last two, it's really flat and while I like it long, it really needs some proper defined waves or something in it. It's a really strange mix and I want it to have more body on top.

I'm trying pincurls right now. They can turn out like Shirley Temple for the first half hour, so hopefully they'll drop into a slightly looser curly hairstyle that stays until lunch at least. Fingers crossed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    Thanks! Which picture in particular though? Cos in the last two, it's really flat and while I like it long, it really needs some proper defined waves or something in it. It's a really strange mix and I want it to have more body on top.

I'm trying pincurls right now. They can turn out like Shirley Temple for the first half hour, so hopefully they'll drop into a slightly looser curly hairstyle that stays until lunch at least. Fingers crossed...
    All of them look good, be happy with your hair - it's fine!

ReputationRep:
    Are the first two pictures in Chester park?

ReputationRep:
    Eat the crusts on your bread, did you not listen to anything when you were a little child?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same happened to me.! I find it curls more if it's layered, and shorter.

ReputationRep:
    eat your crusts.

ReputationRep:
    Yo your ginger :eek:

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)
    Are the first two pictures in Chester park?
    Yes they are! Wow, you're good.

ReputationRep:
    Mine started to lose curl when my layers outgrew, possibly because the weight of the length. I got my layers cut back in and when I showered and let my hair dry naturally, the curls were immense! I didn't do anything drastic and I didn't have much cut off, but the curls came back even more so than they had been when my hair was at its curliest

Also, I completely gave up straightening and blow-drying my hair for a while, choosing to let it dry naturally, which seemed to help as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poem boy)
    Eat the crusts on your bread, did you not listen to anything when you were a little child?

(Original post by JonnyForeigner)
    eat your crusts.
    I always eat my crusts. They're the best bit
    (I wish that worked, that would be really cool!)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't suggest a perm, as they can sometimes go wrong and make your hair permanently weaker - they might not, but personally I wouldn't risk it with my hair.

I think there are two reasons why this has happened to your hair. The first is that it's gotten longer, so there is more weight, quite literally pulling your hair down from its usual bouncy volume. And the other is that the longer hair is, the weaker, thinner and less healthy it becomes. The most healthy thing to do would be to cut it quite short - something between chin and shoulder length, and get it layered so that some bits are even shorter than that. Hopefully that should bring some life and and curls into your hair.

And try not to use curling irons etc. They may work wonderfully once, but the long-term effect on your hair is worse.

EDIT: Just an afterthought. There was a couple of years ago a Garnier Fructis Style product called 'Beach Look Surf Hair Spray'. It's really good and I often use it in the summer. Only I'm just beginning to run out now and can't seem to find it anywhere, so I don't know if it still exists. Anyway, that stuff is good for messy waves, and might also work with curls, if you can even find it!

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.