This discussion is closed.
miss perfect
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
anyone else doing both french and spanish a-levels and going on to do them at university? if so, which uni's?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not actually doing French of Spanish at uni. But I am taking Chinese and I'm thinking of doing Latin. What are your thoughts on taking Latin. Is it something of a waste, or would you recommend it as something to put on the resume?
miss perfect
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
mmm, im not too sure about the latin. at my school, they had to stop teaching it because not enough people wanted to take it. there's all the talk about it being a dead language and that you dont really need it for any subjects. but if you enjoy it, then who's to stop you?
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
considered takin french a level but went off the idea after id finished gcse.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if you're thinking about languages at uni then go for it. I'm doing Spanish and Portuguese now and I love my course
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm doing Italian and Japanese at UCL next year (hopefully).
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
I'm not actually doing French of Spanish at uni. But I am taking Chinese and I'm thinking of doing Latin. What are your thoughts on taking Latin. Is it something of a waste, or would you recommend it as something to put on the resume?
Take Latin if you want to become a lawyer otherwise I wouldnt. I'm doing it at uni as well as Greek so i'm in for a treat.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Take Latin if you want to become a lawyer otherwise I wouldnt. I'm doing it at uni as well as Greek so i'm in for a treat.
apparently they're thinking of phasing latin out of law so it would be pointless to take it for that reason now.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by miss perfect)
anyone else doing both french and spanish a-levels and going on to do them at university? if so, which uni's?
My girlfriend took French and German and was going to go to uni and do languages, but decided to bum out so we wouldnt have to split up. She did apply to C'Bridge but she didnt get in, not sure where else is good.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
apparently they're thinking of phasing latin out of law so it would be pointless to take it for that reason now.
What? The main idea of doing latin is so that you understand what people call 'legal mumbo jumbo'. By knowing Latin and greek you understand the english language much better and therfore dont have problems reading sentences which others simply cant get there head round.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i know but if that "legal mumbo jumbo" was to become englsih rather than latin. One of my friends thats doing law was having a big moan about taking the Latin out of law. I can see its use for learning other languages though. I think i would have found Spainish, portuguese etc easier if I had done rudimentary Latin first. Also it helps your english so yes I can see the point of learning it but essenitally it's a dead language.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
i know but if that "legal mumbo jumbo" was to become englsih rather than latin. One of my friends thats doing law was having a big moan about taking the Latin out of law. I can see its use for learning other languages though. I think i would have found Spainish, portuguese etc easier if I had done rudimentary Latin first. Also it helps your english so yes I can see the point of learning it but essenitally it's a dead language.
I used to be really good at Latin, also at Spanish and French.....I got B's for them but because I detested Latin I got an F, it helped me answer a crossword question once.....
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
The Literature is good...really good...but you can study that in english...the language is boring and the people that do it suck. I dont do Latin degree level stuff. But i know from GCSEs.

ITS SO BORING I SLEEP MOST LESSONS...or read the paper...or bunk the lessons off...

Its really easy though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads