Resit advice Watch

JayTeeKay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I need to get an A in physics in order to get into uni on an MPhys programme. I got an A at AS, and got an A in the January module, but I'm wondering if it would be worth my time to resit last year's summer module. Currently, I have:

94% in the particles/quantum physics/electricity unit.
80% in the waves and mechanics unit (my potential resit)
93% in the fields and further mechanics unit
73% or there abouts in the EMPA (which I am resitting. Hoping to pull it up)

All I have left is the Nuclear physics, thermal physics and astrophysics unit in the summer and my A2 EMPA. I'm as confident for the written unit as I was for all the others (hopefully a good sign!), but it would be brilliant to have the extra pressure off in the final exams (for example, I can average Cs in my maths core 4 and M1 exams, and still get an A). I'm also not ruling out a total catastrophe for the EMPA. It's a miracle I got my low B last time, considering I got a perfectly straight line when I was meant to get a curve.

So is it worth the resit? It is on my target grade, but a bit of extra safety would be nice. For those of you not doing AQA physics, each written module is 20% of the A2 and the EMPA is 10% of the A2.
soup
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As I cannot give any specific advice on a resit I would say that entry into an MPhys would probably only be guaranteed after first year of University (of course depends on Uni however the ones I have seen have this policy) even if you applied for a BSc or an MPhys.
JayTeeKay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
It's not final until the end of the second year. It is more fuss to transfer from the Bsc to the MPhys though, and if I do get a B, I will miss my offer for Warwick. York would probably still allow me onto their course. Officially they ask for AAB for the MPhys, but people have got on with less. It would be much less hastle wherever I end up with an A.
I'm just wondering if any extra effort put into a resitting would pay off, or just eat into time that could be spent studying for other subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
26.88%
No (699)
73.12%

Watched Threads