How much tution fee do you pay if you transfer uni in your 2nd year? Watch

Gravy_South
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Say Im gonna start uni this year (2011/2012) which the increase tution fee doesn't apply yet, what if I transfer to a different university in the 2nd year, will i still pay the same fees as the students which started the same year, or I have to pay the expensive fees because I change universities?:confused:
Gravy_South
Rep:
?
bump
Jleather
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its a good question... i'd like to know the answer... but apprently no-one does :/
GentlemanD
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you dont pay the increased fees, it will be the same fees paid for your first year, i rang ucas and asked them
Gravy_South
Rep:
?
Thanks for the answer, after 3 months I finally got it, completely forgot I asked this question before
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You could ask the uni if they'll let you pay lower fees but they'll probably make you pay the higher ones
todsy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How does the transfer work ??? Do you have to apply to Uni one by one or through UCAS ?
hass147
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gravy_South)
Say Im gonna start uni this year (2011/2012) which the increase tution fee doesn't apply yet, what if I transfer to a different university in the 2nd year, will i still pay the same fees as the students which started the same year, or I have to pay the expensive fees because I change universities?:confused:

(Original post by Jleather)
Its a good question... i'd like to know the answer... but apprently no-one does :/

(Original post by GentlemanD)
you dont pay the increased fees, it will be the same fees paid for your first year, i rang ucas and asked them

(Original post by todsy)
How does the transfer work ??? Do you have to apply to Uni one by one or through UCAS ?
I'd like to know (for sure) the answer to the OP's question too. I'm actually transferring (I did this via UCAS like I did originally last year) and I think I'm paying £9000... But if I'm entitled to pay less I'd obviously love to know. I'll phone Uni about it soon but it would also help if someone knew on these forums. I've applied for my Student Finance with the new course details just now. Student Finance do provide the loan for the entire tuition fee (even after next term's increases) don't they?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hass147)
I'd like to know (for sure) the answer to the OP's question too. I'm actually transferring (I did this via UCAS like I did originally last year) and I think I'm paying £9000... But if I'm entitled to pay less I'd obviously love to know. I'll phone Uni about it soon but it would also help if someone knew on these forums. I've applied for my Student Finance with the new course details just now. Student Finance do provide the loan for the entire tuition fee (even after next term's increases) don't they?
You need to ask the uni because this is something they need to tell you. They can agree the lower fee, but equally they can insist on the higher one. It depends on the uni.
hass147
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, I spoke to the Uni last week and they said I'll be classed as a continuing student SO I DON'T HAVE TO PAY THE NEW TUITION FEES!
BigVitaminD
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You always pay the same fee regardless of the circumstance. Whatever fee you paid in your first year is the same fee you pay at the new university.

In my situation, I started first year paying £1,300~. This was a long time ago.
I then was sick for 5 years!! I left that uni and started uni last year.

I'm still paying £1,300~ per year! It's great.

Student finance told me that you always pay the fee type that you began with.

This includes if you leave the uni, transfer, or take a leave of absence.
However, student finance has messed up in the past. So ALWAYS get in touch with them and remind them that you should pay the original fees!
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BigVitaminD)
You always pay the same fee regardless of the circumstance. Whatever fee you paid in your first year is the same fee you pay at the new university.

In my situation, I started first year paying £1,300~. This was a long time ago.
I then was sick for 5 years!! I left that uni and started uni last year.

I'm still paying £1,300~ per year! It's great.

Student finance told me that you always pay the fee type that you began with.

This includes if you leave the uni, transfer, or take a leave of absence.
However, student finance has messed up in the past. So ALWAYS get in touch with them and remind them that you should pay the original fees!
Thanks for negging me and then posting complete rubbish :rolleyes: This is completely not true - it may be in your situation, but you were ill and so different rules apply.
Domeface
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know this is probably far too much to ask for, but if you pay the same level of fees that you started on, does that mean if as a scottish student you start on no fees then transfer to an english uni, do you still get it free? That would be awesome, if extremely unlikely :L anyone know though?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Domeface)
I know this is probably far too much to ask for, but if you pay the same level of fees that you started on, does that mean if as a scottish student you start on no fees then transfer to an english uni, do you still get it free? That would be awesome, if extremely unlikely :L anyone know though?
You're not on the same level of fees that you started on. That's complete rubbish as I've already said. You would get in that situation whatever students who go to an English uni usually get.
hass147
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You pay the same fee as your previous academic year if you are progressing onto the next year of that full-time course. I don't know if this applies if you take a gap year/(s) in between.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?