Is the news serious Watch

PendulumBoB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Does anybody feel that the news may be a joke.

Think about it, obviously there are things such as the situation in Japan which is a serious issue but lets think back to before the financial crisis when there were so many stories about climate change/global warming and we were spun cute ideas that we could change things by turning our lights off or using public transport. These things do so little compared to factoies or other industry. Is it a bit of fun to make us feel a bit better about ourselves or not.

I have my own views lets have a slightly odd debate
Darkphilosopher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The news usually reports on whats currently the most interesting thing for people to hear about.
When global warming was dominating the news, it's because everything else in the world was going reasonably well.
TheRealDarthVader
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Make your own TV channel or newspaper. Report your own news.
PendulumBoB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Darkphilosopher)
The news usually reports on whats currently the most interesting thing for people to hear about.
When global warming was dominating the news, it's because everything else in the world was going reasonably well.
I feel that you touched on what I was trying to get at that it exists at least in part for entertainment purposes.
PendulumBoB
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
Make your own TV channel or newspaper. Report your own news.
That would be awesome

I'm not saying that I don't enjoy the news; this partly started off because a friend told we that shows such as The Weakest Link were comedy.
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some of what's considered as "news," especially on the local channels is almost laughable now anyway to be perfectly honest.
JustLau
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by uktotalgamer)
Some of what's considered as "news," especially on the local channels is almost laughable now anyway to be perfectly honest.
My local ITV news (I think it's now been combined with another region) once reported on a cat being really old :rofl:
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JustLau)
My local ITV news (I think it's now been combined with another region) once reported on a cat being really old :rofl:
Yeah, we have trash like that up north as well. Such as a five year old fish. Awful stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.42%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.89%

Watched Threads