Turn on thread page Beta

If I was to have... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the worst virus of all time, what should I do?

I'm super paranoid, you see. Avast picked up a few nasties and now I'm wondering :eek: what if something got into my bios etc...no evidence, just paranoia.

Thing is, what do I do now? Would a format completely wipe everything? Or is there still a chance something could still be there?

Is the only possible way to be completely sure of banishing a potential problem with a computer to get another one?

ReputationRep:
    Rub a magnet over your hard-drive!

Jk I'm sure a reformat would get rid of everything.

ReputationRep:
    In short - yes, a format or clean install of the Operating System would get rid of ALL traces of a virus.

ReputationRep:
    I know you're paranoid but why would you go to such lengths..
    Firstly what 'nasties' did your anti-virus come up with, second do you have a backup and third have you noticed anything on your computer which is weird/downloaded software or stuff recently

ReputationRep:
    Format.

I don't blame you from being paranoid, however, you can find the different registry inputs for different viruses online. If it's not in your registry, at all, it's not there.

Also, viruses are very in your face. I can't actually think of any that just make your computer slower without telling you about it. They come up with fake warnings, things like that.

Contrary to popular belief aswell, the chances of their being a keylogger, or just simply someone watching your computer are extremely low, as in, next to nothing. I wouldn't be too concerned, however, if you are, back up your important files, and re-format.

ReputationRep:
    Avast? Use Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Far more superior.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1994mrj)
    I know you're paranoid but why would you go to such lengths..
    Firstly what 'nasties' did your anti-virus come up with, second do you have a backup and third have you noticed anything on your computer which is weird/downloaded software or stuff recently
    One of these buggers http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...nConnection.AO

ReputationRep:
    formatting is drastic, that's why I said 'in short' because if your anti-virus has removed it then it should be fine and its effort for nothing.

You can always install other anti-virus products alongside your current anti-virus (not Internet Security Suites/firewalls or programs which constantly monitor your computer as they can conflict) to give you extra piece of mind, as no anti-virus is 100% effective.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 13, 2011
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.