Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking of going to TOKYO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For about 4 weeks, any ideas how much money I should be looking to spend? this would include pocket money, food and ideally everything. I'd prefer a hotel room with shower/bath hot water the usual necessities. Not too sure if they come with washing machines or not :|. The most important question would it be worth it going on my own? I've tried my friends but anything over a grand puts them off. Would I enjoy myself over there on my own? Would probably be going min May and max September so dates are not set in stone.

Please include anything else you deem relevant for me to know.

ReputationRep:
    I hear the Earthquakes are amazing this time of year.

I'd recommend an emergency kit.

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Libya instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PraxxtorCruel)
    For about 4 weeks, any ideas how much money I should be looking to spend? this would include pocket money, food and ideally everything. I'd prefer a hotel room with shower/bath hot water the usual necessities. Not too sure if they come with washing machines or not :|. The most important question would it be worth it going on my own? I've tried my friends but anything over a grand puts them off. Would I enjoy myself over there on my own? Would probably be going min May and max September so dates are not set in stone.

Please include anything else you deem relevant for me to know.
    Well, awesomely, the skyscrapers survived excellently. So I'd nearly go just to see that.

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    You're either retarded, crazy or ****ing insensitive :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Four weeks in Tokyo? Five days max, then go see other parts of the country... It's going to cost a lot of money if you want a hotel room with ensuite... I'd recommend staying somewhere like this, then it will be easy to meet people and not too expensive. I recommend you visit Kyoto, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nikko (from Tokyo), Osaka, Himeji. You can see all those in 4 weeks with a relaxed attitude. If you want to see more places Fukuoka, Beppu, Aso, Nagasaki are cool.

(Original post by The Cornerstone)
    You're either retarded, crazy or ****ing insensitive :lolwut:
    Uhm why? It's a legitimate question... Tokyo & most of the main tourist areas will be perfectly fine by the time he wants to go.

---

You may find these links helpful re: flights, trains, hostels etc

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1547683
    http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

ReputationRep:
    Erhm, thanks for the replies. When you say lot of money for 4 weeks, we talking around how much exactly ? That place you recommended, I take it is a hotspot for tourists or perhaps not? Oh and how are japanese people, are they generally quite friendly, is the english language widely spoken?

ReputationRep:
    Erhm, thanks for the replies. When you say lot of money for 4 weeks, we talking around how much exactly ? That place you recommended, I take it is a hotspot for tourists or perhaps not? Oh and how are japanese people, are they generally quite friendly, is the english language widely spoken?
    It depends a lot on the standards you want to travel in. If you eat in low low budget places (rotation sushi, vending machine restaurant (not what you think), ramen), stay in dormitories, and don't go out drinking then perhaps £50 per day excluding city-city transport. Alcohol can be mega expensive in Tokyo, think 800 JPY (yep £6 :eek:) for a pint... If you buy it in convenience stores its comparable to here though.

A lot of tourists go there yes, both domestic and international. Japanese people are very polite and friendly although on the whole they don't speak much English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    It depends a lot on the standards you want to travel in. If you eat in low low budget places (rotation sushi, vending machine restaurant (not what you think), ramen), stay in dormitories, and don't go out drinking then perhaps £50 per day excluding city-city transport. Alcohol can be mega expensive in Tokyo, think 800 JPY (yep £6 :eek:) for a pint... If you buy it in convenience stores its comparable to here though.

A lot of tourists go there yes, both domestic and international. Japanese people are very polite and friendly although on the whole they don't speak much English.
    Well good news either way, as I don't drink or smoke and I'm not such a fussy eater. Just wondering would a person like me get on alright in a hostel for someone who values their privacy quite a bit? That's why I was asking about the whole ensuite thing.

ReputationRep:
    Well good news either way, as I don't drink or smoke and I'm not such a fussy eater. Just wondering would a person like me get on alright in a hostel for someone who values their privacy quite a bit? That's why I was asking about the whole ensuite thing.
    The food is fantastic, you don't really get bad food in Japan. You will be fine, that's the good thing about East Asia (Japan, China, Korea etc) is people usually mind their own business. Generally I find people are far more respectful in this part of the world. Completely the opposite to my experiences in Europe for instance where I find everyone is far more loud, and on the whole a lot less respectful of others (ie turning the light on in middle of night, shouting, chatting at 3am when people are asleep).

Regarding toilets you will have to share with others of course, but it's a very clean country. Even public toilets are absolutely spotless.

I'd go alone for a Lost In Translation experience ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I'd go alone for a Lost In Translation experience ...
    It's not nearly as fun without Scarlett Johansson believe me :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with that...
    :troll:

ReputationRep:
    I'm meant to be going to Japan in five weeks myself and now I'm ****ting myself about whether I can actually go ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I'm meant to be going to Japan in five weeks myself and now I'm ****ting myself about whether I can actually go ...
    Unless you're going to a quaint harbour town, should be fine. Keep an eye on the foreign office website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    You'll be fine provided you don't go to the north east. Many SEA countries had this problem after the tsunami in 2004, tourists cancelling their trip even to regions completely unaffected. Honestly there is no need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Four weeks in Tokyo? Five days max, then go see other parts of the country... It's going to cost a lot of money if you want a hotel room with ensuite... I'd recommend staying somewhere like this, then it will be easy to meet people and not too expensive. I recommend you visit Kyoto, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nikko (from Tokyo), Osaka, Himeji. You can see all those in 4 weeks with a relaxed attitude. If you want to see more places Fukuoka, Beppu, Aso, Nagasaki are cool.

Uhm why? It's a legitimate question... Tokyo & most of the main tourist areas will be perfectly fine by the time he wants to go.

---

You may find these links helpful re: flights, trains, hostels etc

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1547683
    http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

I have to ask. Who are the two girls in your sig as they're stunning? Is it the same girl I'm not quite sure.

ReputationRep:
    Prices might be cheaper now.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be looking at about 1500GBP for a whole month, if your reasonable with money and dont splurge

ReputationRep:
    I have been planning for about a year to travel to Tokyo and Kyoto at the end of August and I have had to cancel it because of the recent earthquakes. It took a lot for me to decide to cancel it, after taking classes in japanese and generally being excited for a year, but I think it was the right thing to do.

Though it was only the aftershocks that affected Tokyo not only would it be unsafe but also slightly disrepesctful to visit Tokyo in this time of mourning and devastation. On sunday I read in the sunday times that the Tourist Board is telling people not to visit Tokyo unless completely vital, and just today I saw on the news that tap water has become unsafe to drink for young children.

Though it is very unlikely that something very bad will happen to you if you do decide to go, I would reconsider if a trip at this time is really the best idea. Just giving some advice.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.