GCSEs and Social Anthropology Watch

Talipants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So, apparently LSE places a lot of emphasis on GCSEs for economics and related courses.. but what about anth? I'm thinking of applying there for Social Anthropology,

I'm doing Biology, Psychology, English Literature and Philosophy. My results just got in on the 10th, I pulled out an A for Psychology and 2 marks off a B for Biology- easily raised to an A in unit 2, I hope?

My GCSE's admittedly aren't too good, I basically wasted my time and came out with 2 A's 5 B's 2 C's and 1 F (I missed an exam out of two). I also failed Media because it was so incredibly dull and I just couldn't be arsed to do the coursework.

Obviously I know this is exactly opposite to the ideal attitude required to go to a decent uni.. Nevermind LSE, but honestly, I have pulled myself together and would like an honest opinion on my chances of getting into LSE for Social Anthropology.

Be as harsh as you like, wake-up calls are welcome
Talipants
Rep:
?
Helllllppppp!
ColdVein
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You need GCSE English and Mathematics at grade C or better (I think this a standard requirement for every undergrad course)

Also, the admissions criteria page states that: Successful applicants for this course are, typically, predicted at least ABB in their A level examinations and have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including several at A and A*. The Anthropology selectors consider not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, but also your overall GCSE subject profile.
Talipants
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColdVein)
You need GCSE English and Mathematics at grade C or better (I think this a standard requirement for every undergrad course)

Also, the admissions criteria page states that: Successful applicants for this course are, typically, predicted at least ABB in their A level examinations and have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including several at A and A*. The Anthropology selectors consider not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, but also your overall GCSE subject profile.
Thank you, that's very helpful- I was only looking at their UCAS page entry requirements section and that doesn't say much about GCSE's..
diddles
Badges: 0
Report 7 years ago
i just got my offer for BA social anthropology from LSE (unconditional) and from UCL (i already took my A-Levels). I only got 2 A*s, 1 A and the rest B and 1 C at GCSE so i wouldnt worry about it - just make sure you have a nang personal statement and go for it!
Ilustrius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Possible but unlikely.
Talipants
Rep:
?
(Original post by diddles)
i just got my offer for BA social anthropology from LSE (unconditional) and from UCL (i already took my A-Levels). I only got 2 A*s, 1 A and the rest B and 1 C at GCSE so i wouldnt worry about it - just make sure you have a nang personal statement and go for it!
Well, that is inspiring :eek:. You did get much better GCSE's than me though What did you get for your a-levels?

If it's heavily dependent on a PS then I'm not too badly discouraged.. I have a lot of work experience already
stephiem
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the department like somene that will think outside the box and has a genuine passion for learning about anthropology. You have to have good expected grades as well, which are equal to or beyond the A level requirements.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.69%
No (549)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed