Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a degree in Chemistry and i'm going to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History as my A levels. I'm ok at Maths but I was thinking about dropping it after my first year, do you think AS Maths is good enough to let me do a Chemistry degree at a Russell Group uni?

Imperial say they want Chemistry and Maths A level, does this mean I have to do Maths for 2 years? and Cambridge say AS or A level Maths is highly desirable so i'm guessing it's ok to drop it after AS? :confused:

Also, do you think A level History, Physics and Chemistry and AS Maths will get me in a Russell Group uni for a Chemistry degree (as long as I get the grades ofc xD)

There are a few places that require the full A-level such as Imperial and Durham and others that just need the AS and those that don't strictly require it but prefer it.

Considering that you will need to do advanced mathematics in a chemistry degree I'd recommend you carry it on if possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelloGoodbye)
    do you think AS Maths is good enough to let me do a Chemistry degree at a Russell Group uni?
    Check the universities' websites or UCAS entry profiles for required and preferred subjects.

Imperial say they want Chemistry and Maths A level, does this mean I have to do Maths for 2 years?
    Yes.

and Cambridge say AS or A level Maths is highly desirable so i'm guessing it's ok to drop it after AS? :confused:
    You should treat Oxbridge's "highly desired"/"preferred" as pretty much "required". They don't expect you to do only the bare minimum they're asking and if you don't want to lose in the competition then you should really do the full A-level (all those who are doing it and are predicted to do good will have an edge over you).

Also, do you think A level History, Physics and Chemistry and AS Maths will get me in a Russell Group uni for a Chemistry degree (as long as I get the grades ofc xD)
    If you meet the subject and grade requirements, your PS and reference are good, and you haven't been overly optimistic in your choices then yes.

ReputationRep:
    I've just firmed newcastle which is a Russel Group uni and I didn't take maths at A-level at all.

Physics shows a lot of the maths skills that you need, but I did notice that some universities say "XXX with preferably maths and another science" where would be beneficial. Check out the requirements of the universities you're in interested now to get an idea. Also bear in mind that whilst you may plan dropping maths now, after a year you may want to drop a different subject or even want to take a different subject at university.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying biochemistry at Newcastle, transferring to an MChem and I didn't even take AS Maths. I also know York are happy to accept without A Level Maths. Both good Universities!
    Newcastle simply make you take extra modules in maths in the first year to get you up to speed, if you take A Level Maths you have the option to take a random module like Cell Biology/ Microbiology (but tbh, it's Microbio that's made me transfer haha!) I should imagine other Universities are the same

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a degree in Chemistry and i'm going to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History as my A levels. I'm ok at Maths but I was thinking about dropping it after my first year, do you think AS Maths is good enough to let me do a Chemistry degree at a Russell Group uni?

Imperial say they want Chemistry and Maths A level, does this mean I have to do Maths for 2 years? and Cambridge say AS or A level Maths is highly desirable so i'm guessing it's ok to drop it after AS? :confused:

Southampton is a Russell Group uni and it doesn't require maths at AS/A2 provided you have an A-level in another science subject. Since you are taking physics this would be fine. I received an offer from them with chem phys and computing. Quite a good uni for chemistry too

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to a uni in London, so my choices are UCL, Kings and Imperial. I don't mind going to Queen Marys. I'm gonna take AS Maths even tho I hate it cos I dont wanna be behind :/

ReputationRep:
    Maths is important in Chemistry. Studying it now will save you trouble during your degree.

ReputationRep:
    wrong thread sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrobbo89)
    I'm currently studying biochemistry at Newcastle, transferring to an MChem and I didn't even take AS Maths. I also know York are happy to accept without A Level Maths. Both good Universities!
    Newcastle simply make you take extra modules in maths in the first year to get you up to speed, if you take A Level Maths you have the option to take a random module like Cell Biology/ Microbiology (but tbh, it's Microbio that's made me transfer haha!) I should imagine other Universities are the same
    Em, if u dont mind, can you tell me, what were your subjects at A-Level?
    and what was the entry requirement offered to you from newcastle?
    sorry for asking this, but if u can answer this,
    it may help me a lot. thanks.

ReputationRep:

Yes, Imperial require the FULL Maths A-level. Don't listen to Cambridge when they say it's just "highly desireable"- Maths A-level is a requirement in everything but name. Remember Cambridge only offers "Natural Sciences", and Chemistry is a Physical Natural Science, so you will be expected to be competent in Maths.

I think if you're looking at doing a Chemistry degree, especially at universities like Cambridge/Imperial, you'd have to be mentally impaired to not take the full Maths A-level. It may be part of entry requirements (off the top of my head Imperial, Durham and Bristol require it) or just a massive advantage to your application. And then it goes on to be very useful in your degree.

The "Russell Group" encompasses a range of unis with different requirements.... Chemistry, Maths, Physics and History is a suitable set of A-levels though.

ReputationRep:
    Maths isn't necessary. AS in maths is preferred, but I got offers from all my Unis without any post-GCSE Maths.

The subjects you've picked seem okay, I took Biol, Chem and Computing at A-level and French to AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Maths isn't necessary. AS in maths is preferred, but I got offers from all my Unis without any post-GCSE Maths.

The subjects you've picked seem okay, I took Biol, Chem and Computing at A-level and French to AS.
    Be that as it may (and when I applied, A-level maths wasn't strictly required at Oxford, but only 2/170 hadn't done it), I wouldn't fancy the chances of getting in anywhere top-end without having done A-level maths. Even if you were to get in, you'll end up making first year a living hell. We ploughed straight into multivariable calculus in the first lecture; how are you going to cope with that unless you've got your head around calculus with one variable? It's also not just maths for the sake of maths - we were applying as we went along - the thermodynamics lectures were actually running ahead of the maths course in terms of the level of sophistication required. In short, it's well worth getting as much maths out of the way at school. I personally would recommend Chem, Maths, F Maths and Phys as the ideal A-levels for a chemistry degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    I wouldn't fancy the chances of getting in anywhere top-end without having done A-level maths.
    Well I got a 2:1 in the end, so can't have done anything too bad, and I got an 85% my quantitative skills module in my first year. So can't have done too bad. I would agree, A-level maths would make life a bit easier, but you can do well without A-level

ReputationRep:
    Wow things have changed a lot since March.
    I've decided i'm doing Chemistry, Physics, Sociology and Maths at college. I'm probably going to drop Maths after AS because I won't be able to handle it, so that leaves me with A level chem, physics and socio.
    I know chemistry, physics and socio with AS Maths won't get me into a Russell Group uni but it's what I want to do.
    To be honest, I don't really want to do Sociology because i'm bored of it and I know socio is considered a 'soft' subject but there's nothing else I wanna do apart from politics which is in the same block as maths so I can't do it :/
    and thanks for all your help guys! Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelchaliph)
    Em, if u dont mind, can you tell me, what were your subjects at A-Level?
    and what was the entry requirement offered to you from newcastle?
    sorry for asking this, but if u can answer this,
    it may help me a lot. thanks.
    No problem. I studied biology, chemistry and drama & theatre studies A Level with AS Physics.
    My MChem offer was ABB (unconditional because I am transferring from a different faculty within Newcastle University). For a BSc the offer would have been BBB.
    You are required to have chemistry A Level and preferably another science (I recommend it as well!) I was given a standard A Level offer, my degree marks so far count for nothing!
    Don't fear taking an A Level just for enjoyment, I got all my offers and much of them asked me about drama at interview (despite being science courses!) I also know a medic at St Andrews who did Bio, Chem and Art!
    People create a lot of unnecessary hype over A Level choices in my opinion! Newcastle believes all the maths needed can be taught to you through their maths modules and encourages people like me who have a flair for organic chemistry but fear the maths involved to sign up for chemistry with medicinal chemistry and most importantly not to worry. Many people are very successful without A Level Maths.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge, Bristol, Durham and Imperial are all out without Maths. Other than that, I would go for any of the top Chemistry Unis (Nottingham, Southampton, York, UCL etc.)

I don't have Maths but am hopeful of offers from a few good Unis!

ReputationRep:
    how important is physics in all of this?, im thinking taking; Biology,Chemistry and maths but im not sure about the 4th option (i was considering physics)

ReputationRep:
    I've just done a chemistry degree at durham and A level maths was absolutely esssential. There is no way you could pass the course without at all. In fact 70% or more did further maths as well and they are certainly at an advantage. I would think doing math is absolutely essential if you go to a uni which doesnt offer some kind of catch up course as there is a hell of a lot of maths in chemistry.

I didnt even do physics GCSE and i struggled ecause of it. Most people had done physics a level and i wish i had, i would have found the course a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    I've changed my mind again...
    Last week I enrolled at my sixth form and chose A Level physics, maths, sociology and chemistry but I want to do Medicinal Chemistry at UCL and they prefer students to have A Level biology and I'd rather do biology instead of sociology but I'm worried all 3 sciences and maths is gonna be too much :/
    And I'm not sure if the sixth form will let me drop sociology and do biology.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 4, 2011

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.