Turn on thread page Beta

International students with a British accent? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm from Norway, and I'll be starting uni in England in September. I consider my English very good, and I seem to have a very American accent when talking. However, I've been to the UK several times, and I feel my accent sort of changes into a more British one when I'm there. I feel British people think it's silly of people who aren't British to have a British accent (I sort of feel the same way, it just happens naturally).

What do you guys think of this? I will most likely get a British accent from living in England for three years XD

P.S: Wow, I managed to use the word "British" six times in a very short text, lol.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't really think it would matter that much providing that everyone can understand you.

Honestly, I don't think it's an issue as UK is a very multicultural society. I have a British accent but I'm ethnically Vietnamese; yeah in most other countries they all have a shock to the system to my accent, but generally in the UK not many people are surprised. TBH it's not much of a big deal as you think as you may think as after a few years here, you'll be able to pick up the language more quickly and probably adapt it and improve it around the area of UK in which you're studying to. I guess you're question is partially due to the American English dialect being around almost everywhere in the world now (slight exaggeration there), but to me an international student with a British accent would be like an international student with an American accent - there wouldn't be much deal.

That's just my view anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Sweden and I do the same thing. I guess you unconciously adapt to the language and accent to where you are - especially with English as a second language.
    It's not a big deal though. I'd rather speak english with a silly english accent than english with that god-awful swedish accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djgoebbels)
    I'm from Sweden and I do the same thing. I guess you unconciously adapt to the language and accent to where you are - especially with English as a second language.
    It's not a big deal though. I'd rather speak english with a silly english accent than english with that god-awful swedish accent.
    Omg, hell yes XD There's NO way I'll adapt a Scandinavian/Norwegian accent, they're horrible!

ReputationRep:
    nobody will care

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.