Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I know maybe there will be someone gets annoyed about this thread, but I feel really stressful and I really want to ask, so forgive me please.

I will access to the main point directly. My January result is OK, while me and my teachers except it should be better. I've taken 5 modules in Maths (edexcel) c1 c2 c3 m1 and fp1. I ended up with 97/100 and 98/100 in C1 and C2, 90/100 in C3 and 91/100 for both m1 and fp1.

The things is, i could not help remembering what i have done wrong in C3, M1 and Fp1, so i really want them to be remarked. But the fact that i may drops marks for remarking really kills me out these days. I really want for an offer from Cambridge, so I try very hard for a good result (and will do whatever it takes), so I worry that my result is not good enough for an application. Even my teacher, he said that I could have done better, but the fact is not as it is supposed to be.

I really want to hear some advices, as I am just a year 12 student, and I am from overseas, so this is actually my first year in the UK.

Thank you very much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    your marks are good enough for cambridge. stop worrying about that.

you can always ask for photocopies of the scripts, then get a teacher to look over them and see if they think it needs to be remarked. (or at least you used to be able to)

ReputationRep:
    You're too close to going under 90 if it goes down, don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    You're too close to going under 90 if it goes down, don't do it.
    The truth is, i know that it is risky, but apart from having a chance to gain some UMS points, i also want to know where i have done wrong.

ReputationRep:
    fuuuuuuuark mee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuangHa)
    The truth is, i know that it is risky, but apart from having a chance to gain some UMS points, i also want to know where i have done wrong.
    Then simply get your paper sent to you. I might be wrong, but I think this means you can't get it remarked but you can see where you went wrong and learn. Cost £10 when I was at college

ReputationRep:
    Can both things be done? Like i receive a copy of my script, and then decided whether to remark it or not?

ReputationRep:
    Can both things be done? Like i receive a copy of my script, and then decided whether to remark it or not?
    I'm pretty sure you can do that, do not request the original script - like you said - get a photocopy of it and go through it with the teacher and markscheme and see where you went wrong, if you and your teacher feels the marker's were harsh, send for a remark
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You can request your paper back and then get it remarked, depending on the exam board it might be quite expensive though, I think it's one exam board that is completely ridiculous asks for about £45 to send your paper back to you

ReputationRep:
    order a script and if you think its been marked wrongly get a remark but over 90% in modules virtually guarantees you an interview with Cambridge if your personal statement and references are good.

ReputationRep:
    I also believe that to secure your 90+% aggregate score in C3 and C4 (and thus gain an A* in your mathematics A-level) your best bet would be to not immediately request your C3 script to be remarked because it might fall below 90. This is not actually too much of a problem - if you got 80/100 then that would be problematic.

I would request a photocopy of your C3 paper and, after examining it yourself, decide whether or not it should be sent back for a remark.

If you try hard for your C4 examination, you will get the A* grade in the bag.

Note that since your scores are over 90% - with the majority being over 95% - Cambridge are bound to interview you!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, your grades are fine for Cambridge. In fact, they're down right brilliant so be glad of that!

Now, you can resit if you want, where either you can do worse, better or exactly the same. But it doesn't matter, the exam board should take your highest scoring exams for you AS/A level. So if for instance C3 doesn't go as well as you had hoped, then you still have you last mark to use instead.

So I think what I would do is to apply for the resit/s and then in those paper, ask for a photocopy or the paper to be sent, give it to your teacher for them to work out what you had done wrong. This way, hopefully you should find out what you did wrong, learn from it and not make those mistakes again.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the information. I'll check everything out with my teachers. Hope there is a way to figure it out.

Just one more things, I heard that Cambridge does not accept retaken modules. Is this a truth or just something comes from gossip?

ReputationRep:
    Just one more things, I heard that Cambridge does not accept retaken modules. Is this a truth or just something comes from gossip?
    There are many people who got into Cambridge that did retake some modules, so don't worry. However, they will see that whether you retook them or not and what exactly you got (you will have to fill in an SAQ form, where you'll declare all your UMS scores for all modules that you have taken)

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.