Paranoid about Plagiarism Watch

Stickker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
With the upcoming deadline for English coursework, my teacher has been constantly hammering home the seriousness of plagiarism and what it can result in. Hence, I've become increasingly anxious that I may have subconsciously or accidentally copied another source.

I know for sure that I never directly copied and pasted something into my work. However, I remember looking around the internet for inspiration, as well as bouncing ideas off of my peers, and I'm in a state of fear that I may have written something similar to another piece of work.

Is there anything I can do to double check that all of my work is 100% my own?
arabcnesbit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stickker)
With the upcoming deadline for English coursework, my teacher has been constantly hammering home the seriousness of plagiarism and what it can result in. Hence, I've become increasingly anxious that I may have subconsciously or accidentally copied another source.

I know for sure that I never directly copied and pasted something into my work. However, I remember looking around the internet for inspiration, as well as bouncing ideas off of my peers, and I'm in a state of fear that I may have written something similar to another piece of work.

Is there anything I can do to double check that all of my work is 100% my own?
Since at least 90% of coursework is the relevant Wikipedia article rehashed into the candidate's own words, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Examiners know students cheat on coursework, but it bumps up the pass rates so they don't care. Everyone's a genius now, didn't you know?
ShadowCat29
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't worry, you probably haven't but you're just worried you have.

I was constantly worrying about that in my Science case study because you're actually allowed to copy texts as long as you put the sources, but it turned out I hadn't.

I suppose if you really think you might have done, I'd tell your teacher and ask if you can look at your coursework to see and maybe change a few things.
Festina lente
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It doesn't sound to me as though you have. At GCSE level you wouldn't be expected to have completely original ideas anyway. So the plagiarism you need to avoid is where you put forward someone else's work as your own. So if you have quoted then you need to put quote marks to show which bits are your writing and which are someone else's, and if you have used theories or interpretations from other sources, whether or not you've paraphrased, then you need to state sources.

But stuff you have come up with from chatting to your friends is fine; assuming that you've then worked on your drafts independently then the way you've each interpreted the idea, structured your arguments etc is likely to be sufficiently different to prevent anyone from claiming it's plagiarism.

Your teacher is just really emphasising the point because so many people nowadays think it's acceptable to copy from the internet and rehash wikipedia, pretend they've read the sources cited in wikipedia, etc. It sounds as though you are just feeling nervous because your teacher is emphasising it so much, rather than actually guilty

There are some decent sites advising on what plagiarism is if you google a bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.34%
No (622)
72.66%

Watched Threads