Medicine help Watch

confused dot com
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Just wanted to know what the best extra curriculars are for medicine. I do tennis and play the clarinet which I plan to quit because of the work load (working towards grade 4), but I wanted to know if there are any other activities that you would recommend.

Thanks
Beska
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by confused dot com)
Just wanted to know what the best extra curriculars are for medicine. I do tennis and play the clarinet which I plan to quit because of the work load (working towards grade 4), but I wanted to know if there are any other activities that you would recommend.

Thanks
There is no "best" extracurricular. Anything that shows you are a rounded person who is able to work in a team is good enough. You should be able to reflect on your extracurriculars at interview/in your personal statement about how they've contributed to developing your teamwork/interpersonal/etc. skills. You could do with an activity that you do in a team, as that is the only thing I can see lacking from your extracurriculars.
confused dot com
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've had to play in the orchestra and choir for like 5 years so could that count as teamwork?
huy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You make these things sound like chores- really, extra curriculars should be things that you enjoy, let you have fun, relax, and still gain things from. Find something that you love. There is no list of special extra curriculars that are better than all the others.

The most general thing is, if you are trying to tick boxes, have a broad range.
Wick3d
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get some work experience, that tends to be more important than extra curriculars.
Rob16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say that extra curriculars aren't that important (I dont have any really besides football a few years ago), just enough to show your a rounded person.

If you're looking to do more though, look into things that involve teamwork, particularly if you're going to be applying to any PBL universities.
Laura_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have no extra curriculum activities whatsoever apart from playing badminton with my aunt each sunday.
But so far i've been to the school of pharmacy which is part of UCL for a week but apart from volunteering in hospitals etc i don't know what would make me stand out from everyone else
Mask Of Sanity
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by huy)
You make these things sound like chores- really, extra curriculars should be things that you enjoy, let you have fun, relax, and still gain things from. Find something that you love. There is no list of special extra curriculars that are better than all the others.

The most general thing is, if you are trying to tick boxes, have a broad range.
Definitely. It makes it far easier for you if you're partaking in things you actually enjoy rather than with purely a future aim. If for any reason you don't succeed, you won't just look back and think "What a waste!"

Some universities do like to see that you've shown long term commitment.
wer343lit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are no "best" things to do.

I suppose it might be a good idea to have something that shows leadership, something that shows teamwork, something that shows organisation etc. But you can probably think of an example of something you already do.
jaderocks
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think they want to see that you're a well rounded person, but also that you're not just doing things to tick boxes and are enthusiastic about it! Extra cirriculars can be used in your personal statement to emphasis ability to work in a team, show leadership, etc but work experience and demonstrating a committment to medicine is probably more important overall.

(3rd year medic at bristol.)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?