Drink or Drugs or Neither?????????? Watch

This discussion is closed.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Oh I'm partial to the odd Beta-agonist; gotta keep the body ready and willing!
Alcohol is indeed a delightful past-time.
beta-agonist, is that the same as a beat blocker?
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
beta-agonist, is that the same as a beat blocker?
No, a beta blocker is a beta-antagonist. It slows the heart down. Beta agonist mimics noradrenaline with increased effect and increases the heart rate.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh I'm partial to the odd Beta-agonist; gotta keep the body ready and willing!
Alcohol is indeed a delightful past-time.
Please don't remind me of either the nervous system of alcohol both are ruining my life.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Please don't remind me of either the nervous system of alcohol both are ruining my life.
Exams go well?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, a beta blocker is a beta-antagonist. It slows the heart down. Beta agonist mimics noradrenaline with increased effect and increases the heart rate.
Yes, I take beta blockers on prescription. Hmmm. Didn't know people took them to get high!
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
WOW! its like revision UK-L stlye keep that coming!
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Exams go well?
Exams are 2 weeks away and i've never been as stressed as I am now. FIND ME THE ALCOHOL!
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, I take beta blockers on prescription. Hmmm. Didn't know people took them to get high!
I don't think they do, I was referring to Beta-agonists which have the opposite pharmacology to the blockers. Although you can become dependent on beta-blockers such as Propanolol.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Exams are 2 weeks away and i've never been as stressed as I am now. FIND ME THE ALCOHOL!
Move away from the alcohol! At least til after the exams! If you're anything like me you've left it all til the last minute and are now frantically trying to catch up via the "Crash Course" books. However, my exams were last week and went horribly so all I can say is REVISE! You'll feel so much better after the week-from-hell is over.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think they do, I was referring to Beta-agonists which have the opposite pharmacology to the blockers. Although you can become dependent on beta-blockers such as Propanolol.
And atenolol, at least I think so :confused: How do I remember the B1 and B2 and alpha recepter jobbies, its all so confusing.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Move away from the alcohol! At least til after the exams! If you're anything like me you've left it all til the last minute and are now frantically trying to catch up via the "Crash Course" books. However, my exams were last week and went horribly so all I can say is REVISE! You'll feel so much better after the week-from-hell is over.
THE 2 WEEKS FROM HELL YOU MEAN! and your exams are over, how annoying! Are you done for this year then? Yesterday I was in the library using crash course cardiology from 10am till 10pm.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh, I thought you said a beta blocker WAS a beta antagonist. Perhaps you missed out the crucial "not" there! I knew you could become dependent on them, but there seems to be no other solution <sigh>
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh, I thought you said a beta blocker WAS a beta antagonist. Perhaps you missed out the crucial "not" there! I knew you could become dependent on them, but there seems to be no other solution <sigh>
a beta blocker is a beta antagonist. Maybe we should draw the line with that one.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, this is all very confusing. Good job I never need to know these things!
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
And atenolol, at least I think so :confused: How do I remember the B1 and B2 and alpha recepter jobbies, its all so confusing.
Yes, correct, basically anything with -olol at the end.

I have a 'catchy' way to remember my adrenoceptors.

Alpha 1 contracts vascular smooth muscle

Alpha 2 does something with contraction as well

Beta 1 increases heart rate and contractability

Beta 2 relaxes blood vessels in skeletal muscle and relaxes bronchiole smooth muscle.

God, it's so catchy it's almost a song.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, correct, basically anything with -olol at the end.

I have a 'catchy' way to remember my adrenoceptors.

Alpha 1 contracts vascular smooth muscle

Alpha 2 does something with contraction as well

Beta 1 increases heart rate and contractability

Beta 2 relaxes blood vessels in skeletal muscle and relaxes bronchiole smooth muscle.

WOW WOW WOW! thanks so so so much. I always though UK-L would hinder my revision. How wrong I was.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

<wipes tears from eyes>

so THAT'S the kind of thing my roommate does...
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Any other amazingly wonderful tips for learning cardiovascular and respiratory systems?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
WOW WOW WOW! thanks so so so much. I always though UK-L would hinder my revision. How wrong I was.
I hope you didn't think that was in any way catchy - Oh, some anatomy wonders:

C3, 4, 5 keep the diaphragm alive
S2, 3, 4 keep the **** off the floor

Two Zulus buggered my cat - Branches of facial nerve: Temporal, Zygomatic, Buccal, Mandibular, Cervical

I'm sure you'll know the "Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel A Girls Vagina And Hymen" for the cranial nerves.

ummm..c5-6-7 raise your arms to heaven (nerve roots of long thoracic nerve innervate serratus anterior)

Parietal, Ethmoid,Sphenoid,Temporal,Occipi tal,Frontal- 6 ? (6-the number of bones!) - Old People From Texas Eat Spiders.

Bones of the wrist -Scaphoid, Lunate, Triquetrum, Pisiform, Trapezium,
Trapezoid, Capitate, Hamate : - Scared Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Any other amazingly wonderful tips for learning cardiovascular and respiratory systems?
Not started systems yet (we do way too much cellular and biochemical science here :mad: ).

I only know how to interpret a 12-lead ECG and that's about it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads