Help about insurance and claims Watch

berryboysh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am 19 and passed my test 5weeks ago, i am currently searching for cheapest quotes on cars and at the same time trying to work out how to make a claim in case i ever need to, trouble is i dont understand a lot of it and my family and friends never get round to explaining it to me, i know a fair bit about insurance but a lot i dont, as for making a claim i haven't a clue but i feel its a good idea to know the ins/outs of it all b4 i get out on the road. Can someone please try explaining it to me, or recommend a website or any books to help me to learn from?
miike1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you have an accident get the other persons name, address, insurance company, car reg and make and model. Then phone up the insurance company and say you need to make a claim, they'll send you a form you need to fill out and then the two insurance companies will work out who was to blame.
Someone's mum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your worry at this stage is more about trying to afford the insurance. If you are female expect c£2k. If male probably c£3k! There are instructions about claim process sent to you from insurers as all of their procedures will be slightly different.
berryboysh
Rep:
?
(Original post by fosters88)
read my post on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...148594&page=15 post number 289.
thanks but that wouldn't cover me as i am not a learner driver now
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by berryboysh)
I am 19 and passed my test 5weeks ago, i am currently searching for cheapest quotes on cars and at the same time trying to work out how to make a claim in case i ever need to, trouble is i dont understand a lot of it and my family and friends never get round to explaining it to me, i know a fair bit about insurance but a lot i dont, as for making a claim i haven't a clue but i feel its a good idea to know the ins/outs of it all b4 i get out on the road. Can someone please try explaining it to me, or recommend a website or any books to help me to learn from?
Basically if you have an accident and its the other persons fault, then you take their name phone number, address, car and insurance details etc. You then get in touch with their insurance company to claim off their insurance. Im not too sure how it goes from there as ive never actually had an accident myself, but the insurance company should explain whats going to happen from there if you ask them. It might be a good idea to inform your insurance company as well just so they know its happened, even though it isnt your fault and you arent making a claim on your insurance.
If you have an accident and its your fault, then give the other person your name, contact details, insurance details etc and the person will get in contact with your insurance company and claim off your insurance.
I hope this has made it a bit clearer.
berryboysh
Rep:
?
(Original post by miike1234)
If you have an accident get the other persons name, address, insurance company, car reg and make and model. Then phone up the insurance company and say you need to make a claim, they'll send you a form you need to fill out and then the two insurance companies will work out who was to blame.
what happens in the meantime though? Do you have to pay for the repairs yourself until the decision is made? Also what if the companies decide you were to blame, would you have to pay out to the other driver or does the company pay out to the driver on your insurance? Also what if you have a small knock in a car and a mirror is broken and the 2drivers decide not to include the companies,could you sort it there and then with driver 2 at the road? Also what happens if both drivers are found to be at fault?
berryboysh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
Basically if you have an accident and its the other persons fault, then you take their name phone number, address, car and insurance details etc. You then get in touch with their insurance company to claim off their insurance. Im not too sure how it goes from there as ive never actually had an accident myself, but the insurance company should explain whats going to happen from there if you ask them. It might be a good idea to inform your insurance company as well just so they know its happened, even though it isnt your fault and you arent making a claim on your insurance.
If you have an accident and its your fault, then give the other person your name, contact details, insurance details etc and the person will get in contact with your insurance company and claim off your insurance.
I hope this has made it a bit clearer.
thanks, could you scroll up the page and answer my questions that i also asked mike as the more help the better, another question is what if my insurance is only £350 a month and i get in a crash with £2,000 damage to my car, will the company pay out the repairs to my car? Ps: how old are you and who u insured with? I know its cheaper for girls to get insured but i'm just looking for the best quotes, insurance is a *****
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thanks, could you scroll up the page and answer my questions that i also asked mike as the more help the better, another question is what if my insurance is only £350 a month and i get in a crash with £2,000 damage to my car, will the company pay out the repairs to my car? Ps: how old are you and who u insured with? I know its cheaper for girls to get insured but i'm just looking for the best quotes, insurance is a *****
With this question, the insurance company will pay out for all repairs that need doing to your car and the other persons car (if theirs gets damaged), thats what the insurance is there for. You wont have to pay any more a month or anything.
Im with tesco at the minute- they were the cheapest by far last year. But since they just sent me a shocking renewal quote (its more expensive than i paid last year- even though i have a years no claims now and i had just passed my test back then- plus im older) im going with either elephant or admiral this year- they both came up with a very similar price. Bell and diamond are very cheap for me too at the minute.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what happens in the meantime though? Do you have to pay for the repairs yourself until the decision is made? Also what if the companies decide you were to blame, would you have to pay out to the other driver or does the company pay out to the driver on your insurance? Also what if you have a small knock in a car and a mirror is broken and the 2drivers decide not to include the companies,could you sort it there and then with driver 2 at the road? Also what happens if both drivers are found to be at fault?
With this- dont pay for any repairs while they are deciding who is to blame. Either your or their insurance company will pay for the repairs once they have decided who is to blame. It may mean having a damaged car untill a decision is made, but hopefully it shouldnt take too long to decide, and with quite a few cases anyway- its pretty clear who is to blame (e.g.the other person hits you up the arse and damages your car, so its their fault). Even if you have a small knock with another car, id still go through the insurance though. It may not seem worth it, but people i know have been caught out like that before, where its the other persons fault and the other person gets awkward about paying for the repairs and wants you to take it to a rubbish garage so they dont have to pay as much to get it repaired rather than take it to a proper place and get the repairs done properly- costing more. If the insurance companies decide both are to blame though, im not sure what happens, but i think thats rare, its usually one persons fault or the others.
berryboysh
Rep:
?
With this question, the insurance company will pay out for all repairs that need doing to your car and the other persons car (if theirs gets damaged), thats what the insurance is there for. You wont have to pay any more a month or anything.
Im with tesco at the minute- they were the cheapest by far last year. But since they just sent me a shocking renewal quote (its more expensive than i paid last year- even though i have a years no claims now and i had just passed my test back then- plus im older) im going with either elephant or admiral this year- they both came up with a very similar price. Bell and diamond are very cheap for me too at the minute.
so in a crash both drivers including the driver who caused the crash get their cars repaired by the companys? What is to stop people faking extra damage in a crash?what method do the Insurance companies use when paying out and how long would it take for them to repair the car? Do they pay a garage or pay money into the drivers bank for repairs?
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so in a crash both drivers including the driver who caused the crash get their cars repaired by the companys? What is to stop people faking extra damage in a crash?what method do the Insurance companies use when paying out and how long would it take for them to repair the car? Do they pay a garage or pay money into the drivers bank for repairs?
I think they pay the garage directly. I also think they have certain garages they prefer to use as well-and are more likely to get you to take your car there as they have links with them. And its usually the garage who diagnoses what damage there is and what repairs need to be carried out. Mainly to stop people playing on it a bit.
berryboysh
Rep:
?
I think they pay the garage directly. I also think they have certain garages they prefer to use as well-and are more likely to get you to take your car there as they have links with them. And its usually the garage who diagnoses what damage there is and what repairs need to be carried out. Mainly to stop people playing on it a bit.
thanks i'm finding it a bit clearer, what happens in a crash and its not your fault, will your insurance quotes be more expensive or is that only if you caused the crash that the cost of getting insured increases
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thanks i'm finding it a bit clearer, what happens in a crash and its not your fault, will your insurance quotes be more expensive or is that only if you caused the crash that the cost of getting insured increases
I think the price goes up even if it isnt your fault. On insurance websites when i have got quotes and im sure it asks if you have had any accidents regardless of fault. If you put that you have had an accident though im not sure if it asks you who was at fault or not though. You would have to try that one out.
berryboysh
Rep:
?
I think the price goes up even if it isnt your fault. On insurance websites when i have got quotes and im sure it asks if you have had any accidents regardless of fault. If you put that you have had an accident though im not sure if it asks you who was at fault or not though. You would have to try that one out.
why do both insurance companies try to work out who was to blame,it makes no difference to the drivers if both drivers both get cars repaired and both get higher insurance quotes. Is it because one company is trying to get the other company to pay for the damage caused?
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
why do both insurance companies try to work out who was to blame,it makes no difference to the drivers if both drivers both get cars repaired and both get higher insurance quotes. Is it because one company is trying to get the other company to pay for the damage caused?
Usually... both insurance companies dont get involved, usually you claim off their insurance or they claim off your insurance- depending whos to blame. Both wont get involved. Its only if you arent sure whos fault it is then both companies will be involved to find out who is to blame then their insurance companie pay out. If you arent to blame, then you dont have to claim on your insurance and you keep your no claims. if it is your fault and you/the other person has to claim on your insurance then you loose your no claims. Actually thinking about it, if you put you have had an accident, but you still have x years no claims, then your insurance may not go up as much as if you were to blame and had lost your no claims. Even if you werent to blame for an accident, you have still had an accident and are still a small risk.
berryboysh
Rep:
?
Usually... both insurance companies dont get involved, usually you claim off their insurance or they claim off your insurance- depending whos to blame. Both wont get involved. Its only if you arent sure whos fault it is then both companies will be involved to find out who is to blame then their insurance companie pay out. If you arent to blame, then you dont have to claim on your insurance and you keep your no claims. if it is your fault and you/the other person has to claim on your insurance then you loose your no claims. Actually thinking about it, if you put you have had an accident, but you still have x years no claims, then your insurance may not go up as much as if you were to blame and had lost your no claims. Even if you werent to blame for an accident, you have still had an accident and are still a small risk.
so if i caused the accident and the insurance agreed then i would be claiming on my own insurance and lose my no claims as well wereas driver 2 who will claim on my insurance company but wont lose his no claims, vice versa, how long would you expect for insurance to fall for a 19yr old? Most expensive i was quoted for a 1.3 ford fiesta zetec was £35,000 per year! Lowest being about 4k, i may just get a renault clio and see if i can get it cheaper as a 2nd driver on me Bro's policy, does insurance stil fall a lot at the age of 20
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so if i caused the accident and the insurance agreed then i would be claiming on my own insurance and lose my no claims as well wereas driver 2 who will claim on my insurance company but wont lose his no claims, vice versa, how long would you expect for insurance to fall for a 19yr old? Most expensive i was quoted for a 1.3 ford fiesta zetec was £35,000 per year! Lowest being about 4k, i may just get a renault clio and see if i can get it cheaper as a 2nd driver on me Bro's policy, does insurance stil fall a lot at the age of 20
£35,000 a year!!! what are you doing wrong?
Your insurance is a lot up untill you are 21. But it does go down a bit the older you are untill then. Especially when you build up a bit of no claims. Dont have someone else as the main driver though if you are in face the main driver- its fronting and its illegal. Insurance companies can refuse to pay out in the event of a claim if they find out.
To get your price down though, add parents, older siblings etc as named drivers, try different levels of cover (fully come, third party fireand theft), try different types of cars too- some cars are cheaper than others and some are typically boy racer cars- e.g. corsas, clios etc. Try nissan micras. And biger cars such as ford focuses and rover 25's. And on other threads on tsr- other people have ocme up with some good tips too.
berryboysh
Rep:
?
Your insurance is a lot up untill you are 21. But it does go down a bit the older you are untill then. Especially when you build up a bit of no claims. Dont have someone else as the main driver though if you are in face the main driver- its fronting and its illegal. Insurance companies can refuse to pay out in the event of a claim if they find out.
To get your price down though, add parents, older siblings etc as named drivers, try different levels of cover (fully come, third party fireand theft), try different types of cars too- some cars are cheaper than others and some are typically boy racer cars- e.g. corsas, clios etc. Try nissan micras. And biger cars such as ford focuses and rover 25's. And on other threads on tsr- other people have ocme up with some good tips too.
adding other drivers is not illegal,lol, you can add up to 3 or 4. When your filling in details it asks if you want to add a driver, just means that the main driver gets the responsibility of costs for the added driver/s. You can do it on admiral,quinn, vice central and all others i assume, it should bring down the costs for me that way,lots of people do it, insurance is nearly double for under 21 male then women under 21, nissan micra's are also expensive,works out bout 5k per year i think
berryboysh
Rep:
?
sorry your right i was getting named driver mixed up named with main, i meant i would be the named driver on me bro's policy,
berryboysh
Rep:
?
sorry your right i was getting named driver mixed up with main, i meant i would be the named driver on me bro's policy,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads