Turn on thread page Beta

Travelling to University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I live in Colchester (North Essex) and I will be staying at home during my time at uni.

I have applied to a couple of uni's in London (QM and SOAS), and one in Norwich (UEA).

I was wondering how people who travel to uni's afford this? As I am under the impression that you do not get the full loan if you do not use uni accomadation and stay at home instead. I know you can get bus passes but what about term train passes and does anyone know how much these can cost ? And how you go about getting any sort of discounts and just generally how you/others went about financing it?

I don't seem to be able to get mnuch advice anywhere as teachers just tell me to use uni accomadation however there are reasons I want to stay at home that I don't want to go into details about, and the rest of my family don't do uni so no help.

ReputationRep:
    when I opened my student account with Natwest - I got a free 5 year rail card
    Get's you a third off train prices - so when I go home from Leeds to near Manchester; it costs £13 rather than about £20!

ReputationRep:
    I think i will definitely do that then! I'm already with Natwest so shouldnt be too difficult to create another account there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veggie91)
    I live in Colchester (North Essex) and I will be staying at home during my time at uni.

I have applied to a couple of uni's in London (QM and SOAS), and one in Norwich (UEA).

I was wondering how people who travel to uni's afford this? As I am under the impression that you do not get the full loan if you do not use uni accomadation and stay at home instead. I know you can get bus passes but what about term train passes and does anyone know how much these can cost ? And how you go about getting any sort of discounts and just generally how you/others went about financing it?

I don't seem to be able to get mnuch advice anywhere as teachers just tell me to use uni accomadation however there are reasons I want to stay at home that I don't want to go into details about, and the rest of my family don't do uni so no help.
    Travelling to UEA for 9am lectures will kill you from Colchester. Why didn't you apply to Essex uni?! Considering these unis are so close to home why can't you live in uni accommodation and go home every weekend? It would be a lot better for your education if you did, otherwise you are going to be far too tired for lectures and seminars and also miss out on a lot of night life because you won't be able to get the train home between 2-4am.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get to London/UEA from Colchester, you're going to be screwed for 9am lectures. Why do you want to stay at home so much?

Monthly/year long train passes won't get you any discount, it's just a more simple way of getting your tickets so you aren't queuing at the machine every day. Unless you have a uni on your doorstep, or in very close proximity, I wouldn't stay at home. It's such a faff, especially if things get rearranged at short notice and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veggie91)

People who travel to uni live locally. Your going to end up spending around 1 1/2- 2 hours travelilng each way. How will you get in to a 9am lecture at UEA or a London uni? If you really need to stay at home you'll have to go to Essex uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    when I opened my student account with Natwest - I got a free 5 year rail card
    Get's you a third off train prices - so when I go home from Leeds to near Manchester; it costs £13 rather than about £20!
    You only get a 1/3 off after 10am. Before 10am the discount is a lot less or non existant as there is a minimum fare applied. So it won't help much in the OPs case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    You only get a 1/3 off after 10am. Before 10am the discount is a lot less or non existant as there is a minimum fare applied. So it won't help much in the OPs case.

I didn't know that :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you do have to stay at home I wouls seriously recommend staying as local as possible. Every aspect of your uni life - be it academic or social - would uffer if you spend half your time (and cash) on travelling to and from Uni.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.