Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently deciding on my A-levels. In the futurer I am interested in studying an oriental studies course such as the Egyptology and Ancient Near East course at Oxford.

I am just wondering - German or French?
    - History or Enlgish Lit.?

I like them pretty much equally I feel I can achieve good grades in all 4.

Any advice/help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    - Chemistry or Physics?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why not take all four if you like them all equally?

ReputationRep:
    I already have 2 in place for definite, and want to take one science and one language (I'm doing five) so in each of those I can only choose 1 :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely recommend taking History, since it sounds like you'd be doing a bit of history on that course...

As for the languages - take whichever one you enjoy more. Since neither are strongly related to your chosen degree, it doesn't make a lot of difference. You probably know a lot better than some random strangers on the internet which one you'd rather take! Do bear in mind that French is the wider spoken language though, and also one of many languages spoken in North Africa, so perhaps it would be of more use in the future.

I really know nothing about sciences, and both of your science choices sound totally unrelated to your future degree, so I'd recommend you just choose the one you enjoy more/can get better grades in.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely German, German was the language of archeology for years at least in American Unis egyptology students have to study German then french.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2011

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.