Homophobic bullying? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Please keep this anon, or delete, as I some workmates use this forum.

Yesterday at work I was called a f*gg*t unprovoked, and the person who said it is quite a bit younger than me, yet he can tell I am gay, even though I won't reveal it to anybody at work, as I don't really like them or think it's any of their business.

So basically, I want to report him and get him sacked.

Do you think I have a case?

If I called a black man the 'N' word, I could expect to be fired on the spot, so what's the difference with the 'F' word?

Trouble is, because I am around 7-8 years older than that lad (I am 25), it just makes me look weak to the management. Plus, word will get around that I was being insulted/bullied by someone like that (for being gay, no less) and again that will make me look tragic.

Is it best to be homophobically bullied in secret or to go to war with these people and risk looking like a tragic loser in public?
DhobyGhaut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Call him a br**der?
Dubs_ski
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You have a right to be allowed to work and live without discrimination. You have a clear case and you should take it up. You will not look weak. Making a stand against discrimination is, in my opinion, a sign of strength and courage.
Economister
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Man up
RIISE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Throw a marshmallow at him.
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Please keep this anon, or delete, as I some workmates use this forum.

Yesterday at work I was called a f*gg*t unprovoked, and the person who said it is quite a bit younger than me, yet he can tell I am gay, even though I won't reveal it to anybody at work, as I don't really like them or think it's any of their business.

So basically, I want to report him and get him sacked.

Do you think I have a case?

If I called a black man the 'N' word, I could expect to be fired on the spot, so what's the difference with the 'F' word?

Trouble is, because I am around 7-8 years older than that lad (I am 25), it just makes me look weak to the management. Plus, word will get around that I was being insulted/bullied by someone like that (for being gay, no less) and again that will make me look tragic.

Is it best to be homophobically bullied in secret or to go to war with these people and risk looking like a tragic loser in public?
How? Do you talk in the stereotypical Gok Wan/Graham Norton gay voice or something?
TyrannosaurusBex
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm let him away with it just this once maybe he wanted a reaction or was just being a *****.
If he does it again tell him where to go.
Moleymann
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Report it, get evidence of some kind (witness?), then just carry on with work.

There is a difference between being professional and being a snitch, this is quite clearly the former.
sherlllll
Badges: 8
Report 7 years ago
You got to do something, otherwise you'll be his *****.

A gay snitch though, that's pretty low.
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You aren't a 'tragic loser'. Part of how homophobia in society works is that it wants you to think that you're complaining about nothing. You have as much right to be in a safe and professional working environment as anyone else - you definitely have a right to complain here.

I would definitely report this, especially if you have evidence or a witness. If you challenge homophobia in this guy, he'll learn that he can't say this sort of stuff, and maybe it'll help someone else he works with in the future. If you don't challenge it, he'll learn that he can get away with it.
lonely14
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dubs_ski)
You have a right to be allowed to work and live without discrimination. You have a clear case and you should take it up. You will not look weak. Making a stand against discrimination is, in my opinion, a sign of strength and courage.
This. :yep: You should definitely report him.
Pedrobear
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Nowadays there's a big difference. "******" is often used as pretty much a generic insult or expression of dislike for a person, along the lines of "prick" or whatever.

Not saying it's impossible that he meant it in a homophobic way, but you didn't give much context in your post and the fact that you mention he's younger than you gives my interpretation credence since it's generally younger people who use the word in this way. Investigate a little before you take official action. Your choice.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by No Man)
How? Do you talk in the stereotypical Gok Wan/Graham Norton gay voice or something?
Well, yes, actually. I am stereotypically camp. Maybe I should have outed myself a long time ago, seeing as it's so blindingly obvious. But where I work, people are very gossipy and have never liked me anyway, so I keep myself to myself. Nobody knows anything about me, let alone my sexuality.

But I fail to see why that makes it ok to call me a f*gg*t.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.74%
No (573)
60.32%
Not really bothered about them (199)
20.95%

Watched Threads