Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im going out next weekend with a few people from work, just to a few bars etc. i wear trousers at work all the time, so i wanted something a bit different really.
    im a typical pear shape, big-ish thighs, wide hips, small waist and flat stomach, small chest, small shoulders. i wear size 14 trousers and about size 10-12 tops. i have no idea what would suit me i'm not a huge fan of my legs so id prefer to cover them up (jeans, trousers, tights etc).

please feel free to suggest anything (within reason) because i have no idea at all what to get!

ReputationRep:
    >Asks for fashion advice
    >on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a pear shape too
    Go for an a-line dress so your hips don't look too big

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what your style is.. I'd go for something fresh and classic like a nice floaty dress which skims your hips, but emphasises your waist. But because of your shape it may be hard to find a dress that fits top and bottom perfectly. So some dark jeans and a pretty silky top or sheer shirt would be a nice idea.

ReputationRep:
    I was in the exact situation as you! I wore a nice skirt with tights, and a casual top and pretty cardigan. Good luck and have fun. Don't feel too conscious! x

ReputationRep:
    Go for something on top that will broaden out your shoulders, like a halterneck top or something with accentuated shoulders - this will balance out your body shape and not put as much focus on your hips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaG)
    It depends on what your style is.. I'd go for something fresh and classic like a nice floaty dress which skims your hips, but emphasises your waist. But because of your shape it may be hard to find a dress that fits top and bottom perfectly. So some dark jeans and a pretty silky top or sheer shirt would be a nice idea.
    This is why floaty/A-line dresses are good, because it doesn't really matter what size you are on the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite pear-ish and I really like dresses which nip in at the waist and show off my (relatively) flat tum as a feature. A dress which flares out (but not into a crazily huge full skirt) after that nipped-in waist will look balanced and feminine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    This is why floaty/A-line dresses are good, because it doesn't really matter what size you are on the bottom.
    As long as the dress has a tie waist, so that you're making the most of your shape.

ReputationRep:
    What about a nice pencil skirt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkymonkey21)
    im going out next weekend with a few people from work, just to a few bars etc. i wear trousers at work all the time, so i wanted something a bit different really.
    im a typical pear shape, big-ish thighs, wide hips, small waist and flat stomach, small chest, small shoulders. i wear size 14 trousers and about size 10-12 tops. i have no idea what would suit me i'm not a huge fan of my legs so id prefer to cover them up (jeans, trousers, tights etc).

please feel free to suggest anything (within reason) because i have no idea at all what to get!

wide hips and big thighs are not necessarily a bad thing. maybe a body con skirt would look really nice. it would really show off your curves. you can wear patterned tights with it to add some colour to jazz up your outfit. you mentioned you have a small chest so maybe a tight top might not be a great idea but a loose blouse/top that you could tuck into the skirt. if you are going for a patterned top then plain tights would be best or vice versa. hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarora)
    What about a nice pencil skirt?
    Not great for someone with a pear shape. Will probably be too tight across the hips to fit the waist. You really need to be a perfect hourglass to fit pencil skirts. I find them an absolute nightmare.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i'd get a nice tunic and some leggings

ReputationRep:
    ooh some good ideas there! think im going to be tempted with an a-line dress now with tights hopefully it wont look awful! ha
    thanks all

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.