Has anyone on here ever eaten jellyfish? Watch

FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've seen tinned jellyfish and packets of it dried in the oriental sections of supermarkets, and wondered how popular it actually is? Surely it can't be particularly nutritious? I imagine the texture to be ghastly as well. So, has anyone on here actually tried it, and if so, what was it like? I'm curious.
+Adam+
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Reminds me of the time i almost stood on a jellyfish on a beach -shudder- Think i would of had to got my foot amputated :eek4:
Panda Vinnie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I fish for them.

Here's a pic of me catching supper

Yes, I watch spongebob squarepants on occasion

:getmecoat:
Zottula
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Didn't even know you could eat them. I have to admit I am curious, but yeah, not the most appealing food out there.
Stargazer23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Eeeshk, can't imagine actually wanting to eat jellyfish D:
fredscarecrow
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ugh, I got stung by one once, now I'd rather not go near them in whatever form.
Cherryblossom4you
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the texture is like chewing gum.. its basically tasteless but the dried ones are quite good just very chewy the flavour is nice, different from fresh jellyfish of course!^^
Ayshizzle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah i've tried the fresh one. It doesn't have a particular taste but the texture is weird- like crunchy jelly.

Needless to say, I won't be eating it again.
espada00
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its a very common appetiser in Chinese cuisine, particularly Guangdong cuisine. It only comes one way though, pickled and cut julienne, served with cucumber sliced the same way and a dollop of sesame dip. It can go without the dip and served by itself. As Ayshizzle said, its quite bland, and really only eaten for its textural qualities.....us chinese are just plain bonkers when it comes to food.
INeedToLoseWeight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my sister once ate them on holiday by accident when she thought they were jelly
Suhayb08
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hmmm never. but i'd like to try it though.
lonely_cupid
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep I've tried it. Tasted surprisingly delicious actually, a bit like haribo fried eggs, except that the jelly fish made a weird crispy sound when I chewed it.:confused:
Clementiney921
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, when I was real little, back before I went veggie...my mom's Chinese, and she used to get these little foil packets from the Chinese grocery. We used to have it with rice porridge...wasn't particularly fond of it, if I remember correctly. Kinda simultaneously crunchy and slimy, like somebody already described.

At least it's better (but only just) than sea cucumber. If anybody's ever curious about trying it....trust me, just don't. :yucky:
espada00
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clementiney921)
Yeah, when I was real little, back before I went veggie...my mom's Chinese, and she used to get these little foil packets from the Chinese grocery. We used to have it with rice porridge...wasn't particularly fond of it, if I remember correctly. Kinda simultaneously crunchy and slimy, like somebody already described.

At least it's better (but only just) than sea cucumber. If anybody's ever curious about trying it....trust me, just don't. :yucky:
Hahaha sea cucumber is revered in Chinese cuisine, its like the equivalent of foie gras. Most people who eat it are those posh wives whom are beyond their prime cuz they think its good for the skin or the kids at the table that want to try something expensive.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think if I tried to eat a tinned jellyfish I would be projectile vomiting very quickly. I love a lot of seafood, but I draw the line at jellyfish. I've always hated them with a passion, even the small harmless ones.
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
I think if I tried to eat a tinned jellyfish I would be projectile vomiting very quickly. I love a lot of seafood, but I draw the line at jellyfish. I've always hated them with a passion, even the small harmless ones.
Same here!
potatoesareveg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it was like eating jelly, basically... never again
Clementiney921
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by espada00)
Hahaha sea cucumber is revered in Chinese cuisine, its like the equivalent of foie gras. Most people who eat it are those posh wives whom are beyond their prime cuz they think its good for the skin or the kids at the table that want to try something expensive.
Ya, my uncle's ex was into that stuff...

Sea cucumbers expel their innards as means of self-defense. Not incidentally, that's what I felt like doing after being forced to eat a plateful... :yucky:

I'm by no means a picky eater, but holycrow that was terrible.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
I've seen tinned jellyfish and packets of it dried in the oriental sections of supermarkets, and wondered how popular it actually is? Surely it can't be particularly nutritious? I imagine the texture to be ghastly as well. So, has anyone on here actually tried it, and if so, what was it like? I'm curious.
It's a delicacy served at Chinese banquets.

Doesn't taste of much and dislike the texture imo. Made me a gag a bit.

Everything served at Chinese banquets is supposed to be nutritious and good for your skin/hair/eyes/brain etc etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (90)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (181)
40.22%
Nope, not that interesting (179)
39.78%

Watched Threads