What do you think of Tiberius? Evil tyrant or nice guy? or balance... ellaborate

Watch
mysticalfluffy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
the view on him seem pretty mixed, even if most ancient sources seem to point toward the idea of him being a monstor
Will Lucky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Problem with Tiberius is he just did nothing.

There is a difference in his rule. For the first 10ish years he didn't do anything. For the most part was calm and attempted to share power with the Senate. The Senate however was quite Sycophantic and tried giving him more power and more honours believing this would please him. It got to the point he apparently once walked out of a session proclaiming in Greek "Men fit to be slaves".

Sejanus is the problem, his closest advisor going all out on a power trip the moment Tiberius has retired. Killing off family members and Senators loyal to Tiberius until his eventual execution. Drusus, Tiberius' son was also killed during this period and led to a depression from Tiberius. After Sejanus' death followed the execution of pretty much anyone supporting/connected to him which is the "dark" period where Tiberius was supposedly a monster.

Augustus was noted as a great reformer, he completely changed the society of Rome, rebuilt much of the City after constant Civil War and continued with Games. Not to mention he had numerous foreign successes. Caligula for his first year was noted for the massive games he held, and went downhill. Comparing Tiberius with Augustus' reign and Caligulas first year show him to be a pretty uneventful Emperor more focused on getting money and keeping the Empire stable.
scjman
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I can't say I know much about him, but I did read that he once had a fisherman skinned with a crabshell, so on that basis I would find it hard to sympathise with him
paddey7
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lizfairy)
the view on him seem pretty mixed, even if most ancient sources seem to point toward the idea of him being a monstor
One thing that must be considered when thinking about Tiberius was that he was never Augustus first choice as successor. All Augustus preferred heirs (like his 2 natural grandsons) had an unfortunate tendency to die before him. It is possible that this could have had an effect on Tiberius personality like esteem issues however this is only speculation

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads