Cheap mobile contracts: cashback? Watch

VetNurse1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My phone has come the end of its life, so I'm now browsing the web for a new contract (mine ends soon anyway).

I've come across alot of cashback scheme, both by redemption and automatic. The ones by redemption make me feel uneasy, I just don't trust it. Does anyone have any experience of either of these? Are they trustworthy or not? I'm looking into a Blackberry Torch but without cashback it's rather pricey.

Any advice?

xxxx
illusionz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mate had one and it worked well. The thing is you have to claim the cashback within small window of a couple of days, and if you missed one then you missed all remaining months worth. The aim being that most people miss one and lose out on a lot of money.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have extensive experience with them and yes, if you buy it from a proper place it's completely trustworthy (I always go with the carphone warehouse/phones4u or one of their affiliates like dialaphone and e2save - probably many more as well).
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by illusionz)
My mate had one and it worked well. The thing is you have to claim the cashback within small window of a couple of days, and if you missed one then you missed all remaining months worth. The aim being that most people miss one and lose out on a lot of money.
Most seem to have 60 day windows in my experience - FAR more than "a couple"!
illusionz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
Most seem to have 60 day windows in my experience - FAR more than "a couple"!
I wasn't the one with the contract, only going on what he told me.
VetNurse1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks guys, this has made me feel better!
Fat-Love
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sometimes it goes wrong like it did for my brother. I'd prefer one that just gave you a cheaper contract monthly end of rather than reimbursing you some of the funds every month to make the difference.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fat-Love)
Sometimes it goes wrong like it did for my brother. I'd prefer one that just gave you a cheaper contract monthly end of rather than reimbursing you some of the funds every month to make the difference.
How did it go wrong?

Yes, I'm not sure anyone actually prefers having to pay extra and get it back in instalments you have to claim for, but the reasoning behind it is such a thing doesn't often exist. There would be no logical reason to go for the cashback if it did!
Fat-Love
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
How did it go wrong?

Yes, I'm not sure anyone actually prefers having to pay extra and get it back in instalments you have to claim for, but the reasoning behind it is such a thing doesn't often exist. There would be no logical reason to go for the cashback if it did!
A whole load of crap went wrong. The first cashback cheque came and it was fine. after that no-more. So he phoned them up and asked what was happening. They said they've been sending them the entire time and that he had been cashing them in. He said he hadn't. They called him a liar and there was a massive argument over the phone where it was revealed he was actually on a 24 month contract when he specifically said he wanted an 18 month one. Anyhow after an hour of two of arguing they finally offered to change him to a non cashback 18 month contract, Overall he'd paying £5 extra per month when you work out the contract price but at least he didn't have to worry about the insecurity of the cash back cheques though but because of the first few missed he made quite a loss.

This was years ago maybe things have changed now.

There's a reason why buying direct from network providers cost more. More security and you don't have to put with the **** 3rd part providers try to put you through.

In fact just google carphone warehouse or phones4u reviews. Not very good reviews out there though admittedly most people only write reviews when they have had a bad experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (69)
29.87%
No - I got the required grades (131)
56.71%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.42%

Watched Threads