Turn on thread page Beta

Is uni a waste of time for someone who can't get at least CCC/CCD etc at A Level? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    And if so, why do smarter people deserve better jobs and higher wages? Is this not a little unfair? It can't be someone's fault is they are not clever enough to do academics and exams, because what if they are still very good at working a job, which surely must count the most?

ReputationRep:
    It shows they probably have bad work ethic, as you can achieve good grades by simply putting graft in, but not exclusively being clever.

Bad work ethic -> bad employee.

ReputationRep:
    Life isn't fair.

ReputationRep:
    smarter people can do the job better in some circumastances. if someone cant do maths then why should they be a banker? its given to the person best for the job.
    some people can go about education through different ways though, through more manual jobs and working their way up or doing vocational subjects etc. being the owner of a building company will pay well etc

ReputationRep:
    What about those people who are doing 2 A's and 1/2 AS's, would it be a waste of time for those too?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's fair they pigeon hole people - when I was at school (I'm at uni now) they only paid closer attention to the meds/Oxford/Cambridge people. As soon as you become someone of 'high' potential, you get attention. Once you lose such potential, the attention is gone. I have experience - I've been on that side before... The education system needs to realise that every one has potential and that 'cleverness' is not only measured by grades... Rlly messed me up, if you can tell...

ReputationRep:
    My ex-bf messed about through 6th Form, ended up getting DEE. He put no effort in, however was offered a foundation year at Northumbria Uni in biochemistry with the intention of doing the full degree afterwards. Everyone said he shouldn't go, that he would find it too difficult. However, he's now doing really well now and in his 2nd year (technically his 3rd year at uni).

Don't let your predicted grades put you off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    What about those people who are doing 2 A's and 1/2 AS's, would it be a waste of time for those too?
    You know what I mean.... 2 As would still be seen more highly than 4 Ds, would it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    It shows they probably have bad work ethic, as you can achieve good grades by simply putting graft in, but not exclusively being clever.

Bad work ethic -> bad employee.
    But I know some people who try very hard but still only get very low grades. It's unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    Prof. Brian Cox got a D in A-Level Mathematics. He's not doing to bad, is he? :rolleyes:

A lot of people without qualifications have made it far; don't make excuses.
    A Levels used to be much harder, no debate necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Why!)
    But I know some people who try very hard but still only get very low grades. It's unfair.
    They're being something wrong, probably exam technique.

ReputationRep:
    It's about recognizing your strengths and weaknesses then choosing the path which you're good at and something you enjoy doing.

Btw, Going to Uni =/= success in life. You can equally do good if not better without any degree or A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    They're being something wrong, probably exam technique.
    How does being able to do some exams, prove that you can work a real job? Hmmmm?

They just seem to cause a whole load of stress for nothing but debts and whatnot.

Yes it is because it shows you cannot be bothered to study. You will be better off going to a local college and learn something vocational, it requires less study and offers more hands on experience so you will not lose interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Why!)
    You know what I mean.... 2 As would still be seen more highly than 4 Ds, would it not?
    That doesn't answer my question though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by VetNurse1)
    My ex-bf messed about through 6th Form, ended up getting DEE. He put no effort in, however was offered a foundation year at Northumbria Uni in biochemistry with the intention of doing the full degree afterwards. Everyone said he shouldn't go, that he would find it too difficult. However, he's now doing really well now and in his 2nd year (technically his 3rd year at uni).

Don't let your predicted grades put you off.
    I know someone who did this sort of thing, but they did geography at derby.
    You can go to uni with those sorts of grades, but you are limited to what you can do as quite a few courses want higher grades than that. But lower grades doesnt have to stop you getting where you want in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Why!)
    How does being able to do some exams, prove that you can work a real job? Hmmmm?

They just seem to cause a whole load of stress for nothing but debts and whatnot.
    It doesn't prove anything, except that you can work to achieve highly.

Anyway, an employer should look holistically, i.e. interview performance, C.V., past experience AND grades.

Only top institutions will put a high UCAS points barrier, but then again, only top quality individuals would apply to them anyway, so it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    That doesn't answer my question though.
    My question talks about grades rather than specific number of A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oliviaonthetrain)
    I don't think it's fair they pigeon hole people - when I was at school (I'm at uni now) they only paid closer attention to the meds/Oxford/Cambridge people. As soon as you become someone of 'high' potential, you get attention. Once you lose such potential, the attention is gone. I have experience - I've been on that side before... The education system needs to realise that every one has potential and that 'cleverness' is not only measured by grades... Rlly messed me up, if you can tell...
    I don't know what school you went to, but at mine they spent more time helping mongs get together 240 UCAS points than checking the Oxbridge lot's personal statements.

And in short- yes. It is. If you can't focus at school, then I seriously doubt you could focus at university. However, there is a pretty good case for mature students who may have ****ed about in sixth form and now have turned things around...but I don't get the mentality of someone who is even going through the UCAS process with 3 D grades to their name.

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't a waste of time, depends on the person and what subject they take though. For some reason my boyfriend ended up getting pretty bad A Level results (DDU). One of these Ds was in Maths which he is really good at, so maybe he just isn't good in exam situations. Anyway, he managed to get onto an HND Electrical Engineering course, is getting mostly distinctions, and has now been accepted onto the 2nd year of a degree course at a red brick uni! There's hope!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.