Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    This kind of thread begs the questions: how do we define 'fluent'? Is discussing with your mum what's for dinner in her language the same as being able to write essays in English? All very interesting...

To add my bit, I speak English natively, studying German and Modern Greek at uni, did French A-level, some basic Spanish and and am learning Mandarin at the min.
    That's a good point actually. My dad works as a senior lecturer/academic/scientist (not quite sure, actually). His English is excellent when writing grants and papers, but give him a contemporary fiction book and he has to look up every other word in the dictionary. On the other hand, my vocabulary is much more centred around colloquial English. But I think we can both call ourselves fluent...

At the end of the day, I suppose it's due to what you want out of that language - to use it for everyday purposes (e.g. to live there), I suppose the colloquial lexicon is more useful... but if you want to be writing essays and papers in that langauge, a more formal vocab is needed.

ReputationRep:
    Erm the only language I speak fluently is English, learning French, German and Arabic for GCSE, and I want to do Spanish

ReputationRep:
    English and German.
    I basically speak french fluently but I wouldn't say it's seamless. I can read and write in Japanese and I could survive in Japan easily. Oh and I can swear in Spanish

ReputationRep:
    how i wish the world would speak one language so that we can all understand each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    This kind of thread begs the questions: how do we define 'fluent'? Is discussing with your mum what's for dinner in her language the same as being able to write essays in English? All very interesting...

To add my bit, I speak English natively, studying German and Modern Greek at uni, did French A-level, some basic Spanish and and am learning Mandarin at the min.
    Personally for me "fluent" means to think in this language. When I speak English - I think in English, not translate from Ukrainian into English in my head. The same about German. As for Ukrainian and Russian, I speak these languages from the cradle , these are my native languages.

ReputationRep:
    i am english but speak french, am fully bilingual ie its like both are my mother tongue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    how i wish the world would speak one language so that we can all understand each other
    It's been tried, it doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruitcake)
    i am english but speak french, am fully bilingual ie its like both are my mother tongue
    Me too about Ukrainian and Russian.

ReputationRep:
    I speak English quite fluently, well, it's passable anyway. And thanks to my ancestors basically raping the world a couple of hundred years ago, that's all I need to know. Although I am making a crap effort to learn Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    Urdu and English (speaking, reading, writing, understanding).

Can understand Persian and Arabic to a rudimentary level. Can also speak it since I spent some time in Iran, Iraq and Syria.

ReputationRep:
    in order of fluency: english, swahilii, spanish, french, arabic.... should i add all the languages i can swear in?? :rolleyes: well italian, afrikaans, hungarian, portuguese... well thats it... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I forgot to mention cockney

ReputationRep:
    northern irish, which is a lot like english, but not... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    Grunting doesn't count.

As for the question: I am fluent in English--at least most of the time--and Mandarin.

I would say that I am fluent in Spanish after four years of "hard work," but I wouldn't want to boast. Not to mention, it's far from the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Fluent in English and Chinese(Mandarin and Cantonese).
    Mother tongue: Cantonese
    Second language: English
    Third: Mandarin

Know bits of French and Japanese.
    Will start Spanish soon, while improving my French and Japanese.

Ya know, speaking of the education system, I think that of the UK is already much better than that of many countries.
    I'm living in Hong Kong, and we don't normally have the opportunity to learn other languages at school. Just Chinese and English.
    We have French (and I think German too) at the GCSE-equivalent HKCEE exams, but only those from few very prestigious schools get to learn the languages. No such language subjects at A-Level. Only one French and one German course offered at university level - by a less prestigious university in the territory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Your reply wasn't there whenever I started typing up my reply
    Oks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    Do you mean Ullans or Scots? Or just northern Hiberno-English?

ReputationRep:
    Native Finnish, fluent English and Swedish, quite good French and German.

ReputationRep:
    a load of nonsense normally but english as well (just about)

ReputationRep:
    well I TRY to speak English, let's put it that way.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.