Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    cantonese and english and a bit of mandarin

ReputationRep:
    Can speak a reasonable amount of French (recognise many key phrases) and a bit of German (I always remember that 'machinenschreiben' is the word for 'typewriter', for some reason). :p:

ReputationRep:
    I always remember that 'winklemesser' ( ha ha! ) is the word for 'protractor'.

ReputationRep:
    I speak fluent English and Spanish and good French. Learned German for 5 years, got an A at A Level but I don't really speak it anymore.
    I understand all the Romance languages and speak some Catalan, Italian and Portuguese but not enough to have a proper conversation with natives. Learned Japanese for a few months, would like to take it up again.

ReputationRep:
    I am fluent in English.

And satisfactory in German, Turkish and Latin.

ReputationRep:
    None. But I want Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    It is unbelievably scary how many languages so many people seem to know!! I mean I knew my language skills were rubbish (English, German, crap French/Spanish/Latin) but I didn't realise there we so many people who were so talented!
    Lucky!!!! Well not lucky I guess it takes a lot of hard work but I'm envious anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Only fluent in English so communicating with my mama is difficult ^o)

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes!!! And a tiny bit of German - tsr ist gut ja? ok that was pathetic :rolleyes: tute mir leid
    And a teeny tiny bit of Japanese, I don’t know how to type it though.

ReputationRep:
    English and Finnish fluently. Italian and Spanish fairly well.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, this is fun.

Fluent: English, Malay, Indonesian
    Mediocre: Sindi, Hindi
    Basic: Arabic, German

Not too bad, 'eh? I'm working on both arabic and german this year.

ReputationRep:
    3 - english, persian and hebrew

ReputationRep:
    Know decent amount of spanish, bit of hebrew and will be learning greek next year

ReputationRep:
    I'm fluent in English and Hindi, and can also speak Gujarati and some Urdu. My French is also adequate, as is my Spanish and my Italian is good enough to get me by when I'm in Italy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fluent in English and Gujarati (I actually learnt to speak it before English - I could hardly speak English until I was forced to learn it at school) and am pretty proficient in German too, though it's nowhere near as fluent as the other two. I know enough French to get by on holiday and I can understand bits of Hindi, but I can't speak it. I also know bits of Swedish, Spanish and Mandarin. Next year I'll probably try and learn a bit of Japanese too

ReputationRep:
    English and enough French and German to survive a trip there. Currently learning Gaelic.

ReputationRep:
    Fluent in English
    Can get around in French, Spanish, Hebrew

ReputationRep:
    Just want to say, doing a language at A-level means you are FAR from fluent. It's a harsh reality, but really you know nothing. I did A level german, got 100% in one of the modules, and I still cannot say a thing. I'm at Uni of Bath learning right now... ok I'm not THAT bad but i would not call myself fluent by any stretch of means.

I of course speak English, Degree in German and learning Italian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpaceMagic)
    Just want to say, doing a language at A-level means you are FAR from fluent. It's a harsh reality, but really you know nothing. I did A level german, got 100% in one of the modules, and I still cannot say a thing. I'm at Uni of Bath learning right now... ok I'm not THAT bad but i would not call myself fluent by any stretch of means.

I of course speak English, Degree in German and learning Italian.
    I agree! I did Welsh (2nd Lang) and French for A-Level and there is no way that I could consider myself fluent. I am now studying French and ab initio Italian, and still after almost a year in Uni i still wouldnt say that I am fluent. When you sit in lectures, conducted totally in French, you realise how far off fluent you really are!
    Just wish you could absorb the dictionary overnight!! Maybe after another 3 years, i'll finally be able to call myself fluent in French and Italian, heres to hoping!

ReputationRep:
    I'm fluent in German (mother tongue) and English (learned at school & now living in the UK), I also speak Spanish and French )both learned at school, been to Spain for two weeks once).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.