N e e d h e l p p l e a s e p e o p l e :o Watch

katieza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

Need some advice from any successful applicants who are now vet students, or just any aspiring vet students like myself.

Apart from the good grades and work experience, what sort of interests/hobbies appeal to veterinary universities and what sort of extra curricular activities or pass times are useful.

For example:
  • if you often read the New Scientist magazine, or look into science on the news
  • if you keep pet lizards/bizarre exotic animals
  • if you regularly watch nature programmes i.e. Madagascar- David Attenborough
  • if you are part of a campaign- animal rights etc.

Any tips, guidance or advice would be much appreciated, as you most likely know the hardships of getting into vet uni.

Or anything that aided you in getting an offer, or interested the interviewers.

Thanks
Katie- yr 11 student
Tarnia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know what it is like for nationals applying here as I am a foreign student. However applying in Canada (where I am from) they like to see that you are well rounded. All vets have animal interests and that is the first thing people think of as a way to impress the interviewers. However they do want to see that you are well rounded! For example I got asked a lot of questions about my playing the piano, as I've played for a long time. I'm not saying all the animal interest stuff isn't good-it is-but it is only one part of the picture. Vet school requires good time management-demonstrating that you've had time for other interests indicates you have some idea of this. Also, vet school is hard. You need interests/hobbies outside of your work to keep you going.
Kareir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by katieza)
Hello,

N
  • if you often read the New Scientist magazine, or look into science on the news

Seriously?

I think they'd like to know if you can handle blood and other bodily fluids, too.

EDIT: Neg rep? Why? Loads of (irish) vet students drop out cos they love animals, but hate blood. Sorry, but it happens.

_Kar.
overtherainbow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
haha i would think being an animal rights campaigner is a bad plan- the lecturers do do animal research after all (to get their phds etc)... also it probably wouldnt go down well with cutting up animals in dissection...

the 2 extracurriculars i was asked about most were my extended essay that i mentioned researching and my planned trip to madagascar for conservation.

work experience is by far the most important thing. if you want any more advice i'm a 2nd year at cambridge
+Adam+
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did anyone else open this topic expecting the whole post to be spaced out?
Lucy_x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
personally the only thing i would say would help you is the science journal. it'll help you keep up to date which is good if you have an interview, but something like the vet times would do you good.
the only benefit from keeping exotic animals is that it'll give you confidence and teach you more about them

the vet unis like something that'll help you 'relax' as it is a stressful profession. so try and be diverse in your application but show that you are an active person e.g. play an instrument, sport, scouts/guides, DofE etcc but being able to relate what you have gotten out of these activities to how it'll help you being a vet
e.g. instrument - manual dexterity. scouts - commitment, temwork
you get the drift
CocoVet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say just be yourself. If you enjoy the things you listed and would do them anyway then definitely do them, but don't take up things just because you think they'll look good. I think what they're looking for is confidence and enthusiasm, and a wide variety of activities that you enjoy (not necessarily vet related) will give you both of these things.

And the animal rights thing- if it's something you feel strongly about by all means get involved, but I wouldn't make a big thing of it in your application, and make sure you can maturely discuss both sides of the argument without getting too emotional about it.
Hope that helps!
katieza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tarnia)
I don't know what it is like for nationals applying here as I am a foreign student. However applying in Canada (where I am from) they like to see that you are well rounded. All vets have animal interests and that is the first thing people think of as a way to impress the interviewers. However they do want to see that you are well rounded! For example I got asked a lot of questions about my playing the piano, as I've played for a long time. I'm not saying all the animal interest stuff isn't good-it is-but it is only one part of the picture. Vet school requires good time management-demonstrating that you've had time for other interests indicates you have some idea of this. Also, vet school is hard. You need interests/hobbies outside of your work to keep you going.
Thank you for your advice, I comprehend that being an all-rounded candidate is vital and it does not all centre around studying and gaining work experience. I do not play a musical instrument but can understand what you're referring to- thanks alot
katieza
Rep:
?
(Original post by overtherainbow)
haha i would think being an animal rights campaigner is a bad plan- the lecturers do do animal research after all (to get their phds etc)... also it probably wouldnt go down well with cutting up animals in dissection...

the 2 extracurriculars i was asked about most were my extended essay that i mentioned researching and my planned trip to madagascar for conservation.

work experience is by far the most important thing. if you want any more advice i'm a 2nd year at cambridge
Sorry for the misunderstanding but I am not actually a member of an animal rights campaign, I was just trying to set a few examples that I've taken from other vet students I've spoken to.

Also, I'm curious what is an extended essay and what did you write it on?

I've also signed up for a trip to Madagascar for animal conservation for 2 weeks in the summer, would like to get your opinion on it and what the interviewers had to say about the trip!

Thanks
katieza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy_x)
personally the only thing i would say would help you is the science journal. it'll help you keep up to date which is good if you have an interview, but something like the vet times would do you good.
the only benefit from keeping exotic animals is that it'll give you confidence and teach you more about them

the vet unis like something that'll help you 'relax' as it is a stressful profession. so try and be diverse in your application but show that you are an active person e.g. play an instrument, sport, scouts/guides, DofE etcc but being able to relate what you have gotten out of these activities to how it'll help you being a vet
e.g. instrument - manual dexterity. scouts - commitment, temwork
you get the drift
Yes, I've always wanted to get one of these Veterinary newspapers but have no idea where And what do you mean in terms of science journals? Science magasines or are they specific?

Thanks for the advice- I see what you mean with the whole scouts idea!
katieza
Rep:
?
(Original post by CocoVet)
I'd say just be yourself. If you enjoy the things you listed and would do them anyway then definitely do them, but don't take up things just because you think they'll look good. I think what they're looking for is confidence and enthusiasm, and a wide variety of activities that you enjoy (not necessarily vet related) will give you both of these things.

And the animal rights thing- if it's something you feel strongly about by all means get involved, but I wouldn't make a big thing of it in your application, and make sure you can maturely discuss both sides of the argument without getting too emotional about it.
Hope that helps!

The things I listed were merely examples, but I see what you're referring to, although I never know when to cross the line between confidence and cockyness... :L

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated CocoVet!
ashley-anne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by overtherainbow)

was your extended essay the extended project? just wondering as I have the oppourtunity to do the extended project and havent decided whether to or not yet?
Lucy_x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I've always wanted to get one of these Veterinary newspapers but have no idea where And what do you mean in terms of science journals? Science magasines or are they specific?

Thanks for the advice- I see what you mean with the whole scouts idea!
i get mine from the vets i go to every week - they save it for me instead of throwing it away. yeah i mean like new scientist/biological sciences. sorry i just have to word journal in my mind when i think of them :P
katieza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy_x)
i get mine from the vets i go to every week - they save it for me instead of throwing it away. yeah i mean like new scientist/biological sciences. sorry i just have to word journal in my mind when i think of them :P
Yeah, I've seen them lying around at the vets I go to, but I've never asked whether I could take any home, maybe I should :L Good idea with the whole saving it before they bin it - i'll try that one Btw, who did you ask because I never know who's they are... hahaha
overtherainbow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry for the misunderstanding but I am not actually a member of an animal rights campaign, I was just trying to set a few examples that I've taken from other vet students I've spoken to.

Also, I'm curious what is an extended essay and what did you write it on?

I've also signed up for a trip to Madagascar for animal conservation for 2 weeks in the summer, would like to get your opinion on it and what the interviewers had to say about the trip!

Thanks
(Original post by ashley-anne)
was your extended essay the extended project? just wondering as I have the oppourtunity to do the extended project and havent decided whether to or not yet?
the extended essay was just something our school set for the l6th after exams that involved writing 5000 words on whatever interested you as long as you could get a teacher to mark it- mine was on vector spread diseases and global warming. They just asked me what i decided and how i went about writing it at a couple of interviews (bristol and cambridge i think)

and katieza- i realised you aren't one now i was just pointing out it could raise arkward questions for you if you put that as a big thing in your ps. and unfortunately when i was meant to get to madagascar the revolts started so we went to malawi for conservation instead!! but the guy interviewing me at bristol had a big thing for madagascar and was telling me about all the best places to go
Laura2602
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello,

Need some advice from any successful applicants who are now vet students, or just any aspiring vet students like myself.

Apart from the good grades and work experience, what sort of interests/hobbies appeal to veterinary universities and what sort of extra curricular activities or pass times are useful.

For example:

Any tips, guidance or advice would be much appreciated, as you most likely know the hardships of getting into vet uni.

Or anything that aided you in getting an offer, or interested the interviewers.

Thanks
Katie- yr 11 student

Hey, I think they want to know you are pretty well rounded eg playing sports, instruments, DoE etc. Basically any outside interest you have is good, and if in your interview they ask about your hobbies you can take time to talk about things you know really well which really helps you to relax.
Really just make sure you show that you have other hobbies as the workload at vet school will be tough so you need stress-free time! I got asked about outside interests and how I de-stress at both my interviews.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.59%
No (554)
60.95%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise