The Student Room Group

Why are British men the most attractive in the world?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by LornaSandison1
I notice you're applying for Law this year. I think I've met you on some TSR forum before... possibly the Oxford Applicants one, am I right? Which university are you going to?

More likely on the Law Applicants thread, I hang around in there a fair bit and I didn't apply to Oxbridge.

Most likely Bristol, I think it is my favourite, although I'm still waiting on Warwick, and I still love Reading. Looking forward to UCL?

Also, Wales is mint :tongue:
Original post by Potiron
More likely on the Law Applicants thread, I hang around in there a fair bit and I didn't apply to Oxbridge.

Most likely Bristol, I think it is my favourite, although I'm still waiting on Warwick, and I still love Reading. Looking forward to UCL?

Also, Wales is mint :tongue:

Ah okay! Congrats on those offers anyway :smile:

Yes, I'm so excited about studying in London; petrified that everyone is going to be a lot more intelligent than me! I swear it was a fluke that I got in!!
Original post by gm15
Well I don't know about all those numbers but
Clotheswise I'd like to think I'm somewhere in the middle
Drink: I'm no binge drinker. I don't drink most of the time
Fat: Not fat.
Romantic stuff: you'll never catch me seranading a girl (mainly because i can't sing)but I'm a hopeless romantic inside
Freckle free. Pale enough I look really english but not sickly pale

Anyway nice to see at least one person (for the most part) defending british men. I'm mostly british and a tiny part german

(ok that probably came accross as really weird :colondollar: )

On thread: no on average we aren't the most attractive in the whole wide world but we could be worse

Partly German? Excellent. (I am German) But British is even better. Romantic inside? aww, that is sweet. But I stopped dreaming so I gave up being romantic. There is no person to give something to. Every person is something special but I feel attracted to British. Kind of fetish and very weird in Germany but I don´t care. They are just lovely.
Original post by Mick Travis
Ah okay. I knew English men were popular in the US and parts of Europe as well as other continents around the world but never did I think in a million years that they could have pentrated the female psyche a France. If this doesn't make one proud to be English I don't know what will. Trust me there is nothing more an Englishman loves than to get one over a Frenchman :smile:

Hehe why on earth French girls wouldn't like English men? To be honest I might be an odd one, I seriously love England way too much and aint too keen on French guys. Oh but the accent... :smile:
Reply 164
Original post by LornaSandison1
Ah okay! Congrats on those offers anyway :smile:

Yes, I'm so excited about studying in London; petrified that everyone is going to be a lot more intelligent than me! I swear it was a fluke that I got in!!

Thank you.

The idea of living in London scared me so I didn't apply to any of them, but I'm glad you're looking forward to it :tongue: I'm sure it wasn't a fluke, you'll be fine. They'll all be nervous that people will be clevererer than them too.

Good luck getting your grades and for the future :smile:
Original post by Hylean
Your proof for this being? Now I really am challenging you. Seeing as you've provided no real proof for anything.

If it were the ancient Britons who were predominantly red-haired, it would stand to reason that the Irish, and thus Scottish, would be less red-haired than either the English, given their apparent large amounts of Celtic blood, or the Welsh. Funnily enough, it's the reverse, where the Irish and Scots are more ginger than the Welsh or English.

Where did I say that the Irish were "closer" to those of the Iberian peninsula? I said the myth of the Black Irish stems from further back in history than the Spanish Armada and gave a reason for it. I never suggested anywhere that they were closer than anyone else.

However, you do seem to want to ignore that the Celtic tribes which settled in Ireland and later Scotland were different to those which settled in England and Wales. That the genetic stock shows those various tribes had little influence upon the genetic base of the inhabitants says nothing about the origins of the various Celtic immigrants.

I'm not even sure what this is in response to.

Again, I'm not really sure what this is a response to.

Again, your point being?

I wouldn't expect you to get the point very easily, considering the fact that you start off with gross misconceptions.

A reference to some research about the ancient Britons:
http://guardingtheoldflag.blogspot.com/2010/07/flaming-heck-first-brits-were-redheads.html

Your misconceptions are based on two false ideas:
- that there is much higher concentration of Celtic blood in Ireland and Scotland. Already you would have to define who the "Celts" are. In the case of Scotland, it is very disputable whether there is that much "Celtic blood" there with no real proof that the Picts for example were of Celtic origin in any way.
The trouble with nationalistic oversimplification is that it leads to these weird ideas. Just because a tribe spoke a certain language, did not determine their ethnicity.
- That somehow Celtic tribes lived next to Angles and Saxons and that the Scots/Irish and Welsh descended from those tribes whereas the "English" descended from the Angles and Saxons.

All a load of rubbish. If anything, the British Isles is much more boringly homogeneous ethnically than most other European countries.

The point being that nationalistic attempts to base their ideas on ethnicity always fall flat on their faces.

For those who have not travelled much and have not lived outside the UK, they assume that whatever little difference they can find is some major proof that they are different from their neighbour.
Reply 166
Reply 167

Actually its the 9th largest island in the world and one of the most population nations on earth. Interestingly enough tiny gene pools do not mean ugly populations. Take Iceland for example which has some of the most beautiful women in the world while being one of the most ethnically homogenous places.
Reply 168
Original post by SamTheMan
I wouldn't expect you to get the point very easily, considering the fact that you start off with gross misconceptions.

A reference to some research about the ancient Britons:
http://guardingtheoldflag.blogspot.com/2010/07/flaming-heck-first-brits-were-redheads.html

I have not actually started with gross misconceptions. Pointing to an article that states that Britons were red-haired says nothing. You said they were more red-haired than the Irish and the Scots, which just isn't borne out by any genetic study whatsoever, which states the opposite. That's twice now you've been unable to remain consistent, or even able to read properly.

Your misconceptions are based on two false ideas:
- that there is much higher concentration of Celtic blood in Ireland and Scotland. Already you would have to define who the "Celts" are. In the case of Scotland, it is very disputable whether there is that much "Celtic blood" there with no real proof that the Picts for example were of Celtic origin in any way.
The trouble with nationalistic oversimplification is that it leads to these weird ideas. Just because a tribe spoke a certain language, did not determine their ethnicity.

The High-Land Scots, as is well known and documented, come from the Irish, specifically a tribe called the Dal Riada, or whatever spelling-variant you prefer. That said, they have intermingled with the Picts and the Scandinavian invaders. The Low-Land Scots are predominantly from England. Linguistic, cultural and genetic evidence bears this out, as well as historical records from around the time.

I have never once mentioned the Picts and in fact have constantly remarked that the Scots are Irish. What was it you were saying about gross misconceptions? You can't even read a post without making some.

- That somehow Celtic tribes lived next to Angles and Saxons and that the Scots/Irish and Welsh descended from those tribes whereas the "English" descended from the Angles and Saxons.

Where did I say that either? Seriously. I said that the two Celtic tribes that did settle in the British Isles and Ireland were utterly different. On the one hand, the Irish and Scots, on the other the Welsh, Cornish and Bretons. I even said that the genetic evidence shows the Celts, apparently, had little influence on the native population.

I haven't read this study and I doubt you have since you only linked to an article talking about it, so I can't make any judgements, but that's neither here nor there. I am quite happy to agree with whatever it states, though, until I have a chance to read it for myself.

All a load of rubbish. If anything, the British Isles is much more boringly homogeneous ethnically than most other European countries.

Where did I disagree with that statement?

The point being that nationalistic attempts to base their ideas on ethnicity always fall flat on their faces.

I've never even stated anything akin to that.

For those who have not travelled much and have not lived outside the UK, they assume that whatever little difference they can find is some major proof that they are different from their neighbour.

You're great at these gross misconceptions. Plucking arguments right out of the air now.

Frankly, the more you respond by not responding to my posts, the more I think you're an idiot who doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Original post by MDMD
Tiny gene pool.

By that argument, Iceland and Northern Ireland would have the ugliest women in the world. I hope you realise how crap that argument is.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Potiron
Thank you.

The idea of living in London scared me so I didn't apply to any of them, but I'm glad you're looking forward to it :tongue: I'm sure it wasn't a fluke, you'll be fine. They'll all be nervous that people will be clevererer than them too.

Good luck getting your grades and for the future :smile:

Thank you, and you too.
Reply 170
Original post by Hylean

By that argument, Iceland and Northern Ireland would have the ugliest women in the world. I hope you realise how crap that argument is.

There was no argument I just found the picture funny.

Original post by littlepotatoe
Hehe why on earth French girls wouldn't like English men? To be honest I might be an odd one, I seriously love England way too much and aint too keen on French guys. Oh but the accent... :smile:

Because they eat bad food, dress badly, are overweight, binge drink? Maybe it's a misconception but the general view here is that the French are disdainful.
Original post by Hylean
I have not actually started with gross misconceptions. Pointing to an article that states that Britons were red-haired says nothing. You said they were more red-haired than the Irish and the Scots, which just isn't borne out by any genetic study whatsoever, which states the opposite. That's twice now you've been unable to remain consistent, or even able to read properly.

The High-Land Scots, as is well known and documented, come from the Irish, specifically a tribe called the Dal Riada, or whatever spelling-variant you prefer. That said, they have intermingled with the Picts and the Scandinavian invaders. The Low-Land Scots are predominantly from England. Linguistic, cultural and genetic evidence bears this out, as well as historical records from around the time.

I have never once mentioned the Picts and in fact have constantly remarked that the Scots are Irish. What was it you were saying about gross misconceptions? You can't even read a post without making some.

Where did I say that either? Seriously. I said that the two Celtic tribes that did settle in the British Isles and Ireland were utterly different. On the one hand, the Irish and Scots, on the other the Welsh, Cornish and Bretons. I even said that the genetic evidence shows the Celts, apparently, had little influence on the native population.

I haven't read this study and I doubt you have since you only linked to an article talking about it, so I can't make any judgements, but that's neither here nor there. I am quite happy to agree with whatever it states, though, until I have a chance to read it for myself.

Where did I disagree with that statement?

I've never even stated anything akin to that.

You're great at these gross misconceptions. Plucking arguments right out of the air now.

Frankly, the more you respond by not responding to my posts, the more I think you're an idiot who doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Hylean, trying to put little side remarks into your argumentation won't make you look any smarter.

It's actually quite amusing to see how your reasoning is completely skewed and you are oblivious to it. You try to explain the British ethnic composition by drawing up imaginary lines between ancient, highly mobile tribes and then making the assumption that today's population in those areas must descend directly from those tribes. Are you really stupid enough to think that magically some tribe called the "Scots" descended on present day Scotland and suddenly wiped out the indigenous people living there in the same way that magically the Angles and the Saxons wiped out most ancient Britons?

The whole point of the research I referred to is that the core of the population did not change that much. Waves of invasion are not going to suddenly radically transform the ethnic composition of a people.

Oh well, there are plenty of your narrow-minded and insular type in the UK, the type that we have to thank for for sectarianism and mainly, just typical British/Irish middle-class idiocy. Unfortunately having grown up with your narrow and insular view of the world restricted to very limited views, you probably will be stuck with them.

said that the two Celtic tribes that did settle in the British Isles and Ireland were utterly different. On the one hand, the Irish and Scots, on the other the Welsh, Cornish and Bretons.

Yes of course it's binary: on the one hand this, on the one hand that.

The Irish moved to Scotland and the Bretons (considering that I am Breton, I find your lack of Celtic history mildly amusing) moved to the British Isles? Whatever next...Maybe that the Poles invaded Cumbria? Again another example of your complete confusion resulting from the idea that ancient tribes from the past are the same than the people who happen to currently inhabit the lands that those populations were originally from.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 173
Because they eat bad food, dress badly, are overweight, binge drink? Maybe it's a misconception but the general view here is that the French are disdainful.

All 31 million of them?
Original post by Poem boy
All 31 million of them?

No, only about 3/4 of them.
Reply 175
No, only about 3/4 of them.

Same for most of the developed world then.
Reply 176
Deary me.

(edited 13 years ago)
Well I honestly dont think they are the most attractive men in the world. Some of them are very good looking, some butt ugly just like everywhere else in the world. Its personaly taste really, but i prefer Arabs.
Italian > British

I actually found that extremely interesting! And the average face from Britain isn't that bad :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest