Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I am about to apply for an MSc in Organisational Psych. I'm still waiting on my references but I should get them this/next week. I was thinking, since I've been told and have read many times that places are given on a more or less first come first serve basis, would my chances be greater if I were to tick Sept 2012 instead of Sept 2011 entry? On the other hand, if I go ahead and apply for 2011 as planned but get rejected, do you think if I apply again later this year for 2012 entry I might get in?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking, if I apply for 2012 and get rejected, then I definitely know it's due to my degree/marks/lack of experience and not due to lack of places.

is that maybe a smarter/less "riskier" choice? otherwise, I feel like I'd be deluding myself, plus getting new references would be impossible.

any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    seriously, just typing 2011 or 2012 might be helpful if you really don't feel like delving into much detail.

ReputationRep:
    take into consideration the increase in costs as well, fees go up yearly.

Try applying and worst case scenario get feedback as to why you weren't accepted. You have nothing to lose, because you can always reapply next year. 1 year's extra experience might change things completely if that's case.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who's been to interviews in February for two of these courses I would say it's not too late to apply. The two universities I went to do one interview session per month and their first one was in February. Each session had about 5-12 people in it and with 25-35 people accepted into the course it would take them at least three sessions to fill all places.

I don't think you have anything to lose by applying now given that even people offered a place can still turn that place down as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewaythingsare)
    As someone who's been to interviews in February for two of these courses I would say it's not too late to apply. The two universities I went to do one interview session per month and their first one was in February. Each session had about 5-12 people in it and with 25-35 people accepted into the course it would take them at least three sessions to fill all places.

I don't think you have anything to lose by applying now given that even people offered a place can still turn that place down as well.
    thanks for replying. just was wondering, as my referees are taking their time, if I were to apply for Sept 2012 entry hopefully by the end of this month, would I get interviewed this year or would I need to wait until February of next year to get the interview/find out if I'm accepted or not?

ReputationRep:
    If you apply for deferred entry you'll be interviewed or offers given during this application cycle. You'll also need to have met the conditions of the offer by the end of August (if the offer is conditional).

If you're only considering applying in 2012 due to the possibility of reduced competition and you'd consider going to uni this year, I'd suggest your best option would be to apply for entry this year. Worst case scenario and you get five rejections, you can still apply during next year's cycle for 2012 entry, plus you'll have the benefit of experiencing the ucas application and any feedback you get from your uni choices.

Plus you'll have the bonus of paying the lower fees if you do get accepted this year!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa_87)
    thanks for replying. just was wondering, as my referees are taking their time, if I were to apply for Sept 2012 entry hopefully by the end of this month, would I get interviewed this year or would I need to wait until February of next year to get the interview/find out if I'm accepted or not?
    You will probably be interviewed this year. They have a turnaround time of a few weeks normally from application to contact. You could also submit your application online to the university then send the references by post whenever you have them. That's what I did and was no problem at all.

And like the above poster said, worst case scenario you may not get in this year but will then be familiar with the process for next year.

ReputationRep:
    You will probably be interviewed this year. They have a turnaround time of a few weeks normally from application to contact. You could also submit your application online to the university then send the references by post whenever you have them. That's what I did and was no problem at all.

And like the above poster said, worst case scenario you may not get in this year but will then be familiar with the process for next year.
    thanks, yeah, I think I'll apply for this year's entry, and then see what happens.

btw, as far as (e)mailing the references goes... on the University of Manchester online application, under the supporting documents upload section, there is an option to upload both the reference and the referee report form... does that mean I am allowed to see both of those things, or are they meant to be "classified"? I am a little confused as on the same form it's written in small print for the referee to "please enclose the completed form with [their] letter of reference in a sealed envelope and sign it across the seal".

what should I do? I wouldn't really mind otherwise, but the logistics of mailing this stuff around is so complicated. I have to fill in the top part and then send it to them, which I have already done so, but they haven't received it yet. I'm in Spain atm, my profs are in Quebec where they've had huge snowstorms lately (so mail got lost/stuck I presume), and this is to reach England asap. Also, they've said they'd email me the reference letters about 10 days ago, which they still haven't done. :/

arghhhh

ReputationRep:
    On the online forms I completed I had the option of uploading the reference document as well as giving my referees' e-mail addresses. I had already received their reference letters in hard copy so just put in their e-mail addresses (which should then generate an email to the referees that includes the reference form) and sent in the actual letters by post.

Only one of my (three) referees actually put the signature over a sealed envelope and the other two from managers at my current employer were put in an unsealed envelope submitted with my other supplementary information. I still got an offer from the university in question so don't know how important some of those smaller details are.

ReputationRep:
    On the online forms I completed I had the option of uploading the reference document as well as giving my referees' e-mail addresses. I had already received their reference letters in hard copy so just put in their e-mail addresses (which should then generate an email to the referees that includes the reference form) and sent in the actual letters by post.

Only one of my (three) referees actually put the signature over a sealed envelope and the other two from managers at my current employer were put in an unsealed envelope submitted with my other supplementary information. I still got an offer from the university in question so don't know how important some of those smaller details are.
    awesome, thanks mate

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.