Turn on thread page Beta

Do I still have a chance of Cambridge? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a year 12 student studying for his AS levels this summer and have my heart set on a choral award at cambridge university.
    My teachers say I have the academic capability, I should get 5 strong As at AS, (Philosophy, English Literature, History, Politics and Music).
    However during the immediate lead up to my GCSE's I had a very turbulent time at home which led to depression. Consequently I did not focus academically and put very little into my GCSEs. I came out with 10 As and a B. I know that these are not "Oxbridge grades" yet my teachers and I agree that it clearly is not a reflection of my academic ability.
    I was a chorister at Gloucester Cathedral and have been told I have the vocal/musical ability, I am just concerned as to whether it is even worth applying with my GCSE grades.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Here.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! You have a chance - Cambridge have an ease of access scheme designed for this very situation; they use it to help people who have had a hard home life etc. apply. Have a look on the website and ask your school about it. Also, your school should mention any extenuating circumstances in your reference.

Also, 10 As is still a very impressive achievement - your grades might not be those of a standard Oxbridge, but they're still excellent.

Don't lose heart & apply anyway; it's only one of your five choices after all.

(I got a C at AS and still got a place...)

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be worth you applying (it does depend a bit on your subject, what do you want to do?).

As I understand it Cambridge tend to go more for the AS results than for GCSEs. So you need really strong UMS at AS: 90%+ ideally.

It sounds as though your teachers could also mention in your reference that your GCSEs don't really reflect your true ability.

Anyway so I would say follow your dream, it's only one of your five choices, just be sensible with the others. See what happens this summer and then make up your mind definitely, do extra reading etc as well for your PS.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Festina lente;30323281]I think it would be worth you applying (it does depend a bit on your subject, what do you want to do?). QUOTE]
    Most probably Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_94)
    Most probably Philosophy.
    It is pretty competitive at Cambridge, but hey, they all are really. I really would go for it, you'll always wonder what would have happened if you don't. The Colleges all seem to do a written test at interview and some of them ask for essays in advance too so that would be another opportunity to show your ability.

I'd definitely suggest going for some wider reading over the summer too.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon that if I got the chance to show my ability at interview I would stand a reasonable chance. My worry is that I won't have that opportunity simply as a result of my GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_94)
    I reckon that if I got the chance to show my ability at interview I would stand a reasonable chance. My worry is that I won't have that opportunity simply as a result of my GCSEs.
    My perception is that Cambridge interview quite a large percentage of applicants so you may be advantaged there (don't take that as gospel though, I can't find any statistics atm).

Lots of good advice for applicants here including reading suggestions etc

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.