Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if I could get a bit of help as this is really confusing me.

I have a few credit cards, and have had them for a while. I've been managing them well so it's all good so far.

However, when I opened my Barclaycard, and as I constantly see advertised, credit card companies offer an interest-free period.

The conditions of this interest free period are that you pay off your balance in full and on time every month.
    But if you pay off your balance in full and on time every month, you don't INCUR any interest or charges ANYWAY.

So I think I'm really missing something? The only possible thing I can think of is if they don't generate your statement for the duration of the interest free period, but I can't remember if they did this with my Barclaycard.
    Could anyone clarify this?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbytotherescue)
    I was wondering if I could get a bit of help as this is really confusing me.

I have a few credit cards, and have had them for a while. I've been managing them well so it's all good so far.

However, when I opened my Barclaycard, and as I constantly see advertised, credit card companies offer an interest-free period.

The conditions of this interest free period are that you pay off your balance in full and on time every month.
    But if you pay off your balance in full and on time every month, you don't INCUR any interest or charges ANYWAY.

So I think I'm really missing something? The only possible thing I can think of is if they don't generate your statement for the duration of the interest free period, but I can't remember if they did this with my Barclaycard.
    Could anyone clarify this?

Many thanks
    Yeah I think you're getting confused a wee bit here

If you spend say £1000 on a credit card, and then pay it off in full at the end of the same month, you'll normally not be charged any interest. If you don't pay it off in full, and just pay the minimum payment, then you will be charged interest.

The interest free offers you see advertised for x months allow you to spend that £1000, not pay the balance off in full at the end of the month and still not be charged any interest.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.