Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When do you have to start looking for a house near your uni?

ReputationRep:
    As soon as you've chosen firms/insurance choices!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racheld25)
    As soon as you've chosen firms/insurance choices!!
    do I have to pay the deposit straight away or can it wait till september?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kMt)
    Most are like £250, and ask for it straight away to deposit (ie. confirm your room) your place. Best to ask the individual universities as they might all have different policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racheld25)
    Most are like £250, and ask for it straight away to deposit (ie. confirm your room) your place. Best to ask the individual universities as they might all have different policies.
    it's not a uni accommodation. i'm looking at some houses near the uni., the deposit is £800 and we don't have that much money right now
    thanks for your helpx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kMt)
    Are you talking about university accommodation, halls.
    Or private housing like mostly second years etc get?

Your going to have the ask the relevant people, asking the university about the deposit and private housing won't get you anywhere.

Deposits amount and such are down to each companys own preferences. Although a deposit is called that for a reason.. thus will most likely have to be paid as soon as you have been designated a room . The amount varies but is usually like 4 weeks or a months rent.

Edit:
    (Original post by kMt)
    it's not a uni accommodation. i'm looking at some houses near the uni., the deposit is £800 and we don't have that much money right now
    thanks for your helpx
    800? :/
    How many people is that for ? that sounds like a deposit for two or three people.. not each, so i hope it's not each.
    And unfortunately your going to have to find the money, unless you feel like starting your search in september when you get new loans through, or during summer when you have a job, it has to be done.
    It did suck when i saw £300 odd going out of my account for it 2 months back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Are you talking about university accommodation, halls.
    Or private housing like mostly second years etc get?

Your going to have the ask the relevant people, asking the university about the deposit and private housing won't get you anywhere.

Deposits amount and such are down to each companys own preferences. Although a deposit is called that for a reason.. thus will most likely have to be paid as soon as you have been designated a room . The amount varies but is usually like 4 weeks or a months rent.

Edit:

800? :/
    How many people is that for ? that sounds like a deposit for two or three people.. not each, so i hope it's not each.
    And unfortunately your going to have to find the money, unless you feel like starting your search in september when you get new loans through, or during summer when you have a job, it has to be done.
    It did suck when i saw £300 odd going out of my account for it 2 months back
    hey it's for 3 people, so around 250 each. will I be able to find somewhere decent during summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kMt)
    hey it's for 3 people, so around 250 each. will I be able to find somewhere decent during summer?
    Ah ok thats good.
    Well 250 each shouldnt be too hard? ..
    Just use your buraries or lones or ask parents or something .. everyone else finds it so i msure you can :P or get a job

Houses can be found during summer ye.. but the later you leave it the worse you'll get. For example here in plymouth all the estate agents allowed bookings from november. Meaning if i had left it til summer.. i would of been like 7 months behind or whatever.
    Earlier you look, better place you'll get and better choice you'll have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Ah ok thats good.
    Well 250 each shouldnt be too hard? ..
    Just use your buraries or lones or ask parents or something .. everyone else finds it so i msure you can :P or get a job

Houses can be found during summer ye.. but the later you leave it the worse you'll get. For example here in plymouth all the estate agents allowed bookings from november. Meaning if i had left it til summer.. i would of been like 7 months behind or whatever.
    Earlier you look, better place you'll get and better choice you'll have
    I do have a job but I just don't know how to use my money

thanks for your help x

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.