Can you get thrown out of university for... Watch

lesbionic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
...complaining about a tutor?

Myself and another person sent an email to another tutor asking if we can go to alternative classes. The email did not explicitly criticise our current tutor, but when the response came back from the other tutor asking why we wanted to change, we had to suggest that the current tutor was intimidating and constantly factually incorrect in law.

The tutor sent one back saying ''no it's not possible - will speak to your tutor''

:eek: ****!! Is this an instance of gross misconduct by a student? Could we get thrown out for trying to stir trouble with the teacher?

P.S the tutor is useless. Intimidating, factually and legally incorrect in law, does not listen to the students, shouts, humiliates students... some of them in our class left never to return and apparantly found alternative tutors... it's a bit late in the day, but the final weeks prior to revision period are crucial! The most recent tutorial was really bad so it's not really possible to attend her classes anymore.
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
How is making a complaint considered gross misconduct exactly? This is not Nazi Germany!
KCosmo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll be fine, you are definitely allowed to complain. The tutor you sent the email to is probably not on your side yet because frankly he's going to believe in this bad tutor more than he is in students, unfortunately. But if you know that this guy is substandard then you should stick to your guns. You've done absolutely nothing wrong
Uzzy?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Making a complaint won't get you thrown of the course dw OP
tigermoth99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll be okay. If someone isn't doing a good job, you have every right to complain. If you're not happy, btw, talk to the head of dept/school as well. They can usually resolve these matters quickly.
SummerSofas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lesbionic)
...complaining about a tutor?

Myself and another person sent an email to another tutor asking if we can go to alternative classes. The email did not explicitly criticise our current tutor, but when the response came back from the other tutor asking why we wanted to change, we had to suggest that the current tutor was intimidating and constantly factually incorrect in law.

The tutor sent one back saying ''no it's not possible - will speak to your tutor''

:eek: ****!! Is this an instance of gross misconduct by a student? Could we get thrown out for trying to stir trouble with the teacher?

P.S the tutor is useless. Intimidating, factually and legally incorrect in law, does not listen to the students, shouts, humiliates students... some of them in our class left never to return and apparantly found alternative tutors... it's a bit late in the day, but the final weeks prior to revision period are crucial! The most recent tutorial was really bad so it's not really possible to attend her classes anymore.
how does he intimidate you? does he have a 150 kg barbell in the room and when everyones seated he does deadlift reps, letting the bar come down heavy to impress the girls in their panties and intimidate the pencil necked boys
AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't forget, you're paying for a service whether you took out loans or you or your parents paid up front. If you feel that the education you're receiving is not good then you have the right to complain, as you would with almost everything else you pay for! If you're tutor finds out that it was you and your friend then they could be funny towards you in class but the tutor you told should keep such complaints confidential when discussing the matter and say 'we've received complaints from a number of students stating the quality of your lectures and the information is below par'. The system relies on students to come forward with complaints so they can improve their services and in turn increase their universities ratings and reputation. If they don't get told what is being done wrong or if a lecturer is not explaining themselves properly so that the students understand the information, how are they supposed to improve the situation? The only way I can see this being an issue is if the tutor you told tells the tutor you complained about it was you and they start being awkward with you. In this case then you'd have to put in another complaint and that would be the fault of the department because the matter should have been dealt with in a confidential manner. Stop worrying!
lesbionic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by tigermoth99)
You'll be okay. If someone isn't doing a good job, you have every right to complain. If you're not happy, btw, talk to the head of dept/school as well. They can usually resolve these matters quickly.
Well, the other tutor just emailed me back saying I'm at university now, not at school and that she sincerely hopes I, my friend and my tutor are mature enough to discuss it in a non confrontational way. I guess it's not really anything to do with her, since she is just a random tutor I picked off the list to attend alternative classes; but it's only sitting in on a class - I wasn't asking her to sign a warrant for a lethal injection..
justiceisjust
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What uni is this?
MickJB1989
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
Don't forget, you're paying for a service whether you took out loans or you or your parents paid up front. If you feel that the education you're receiving is not good then you have the right to complain, as you would with almost everything else you pay for! If you're tutor finds out that it was you and your friend then they could be funny towards you in class but the tutor you told should keep such complaints confidential when discussing the matter and say 'we've received complaints from a number of students stating the quality of your lectures and the information is below par'. The system relies on students to come forward with complaints so they can improve their services and in turn increase their universities ratings and reputation. If they don't get told what is being done wrong or if a lecturer is not explaining themselves properly so that the students understand the information, how are they supposed to improve the situation? The only way I can see this being an issue is if the tutor you told tells the tutor you complained about it was you and they start being awkward with you. In this case then you'd have to put in another complaint and that would be the fault of the department because the matter should have been dealt with in a confidential manner. Stop worrying!
Would have given you rep but I'm all out for today.

@OP: ^ This, ^ this and more ^ this
confusedme
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lesbionic)
Well, the other tutor just emailed me back saying I'm at university now, not at school and that she sincerely hopes I, my friend and my tutor are mature enough to discuss it in a non confrontational way. I guess it's not really anything to do with her, since she is just a random tutor I picked off the list to attend alternative classes; but it's only sitting in on a class - I wasn't asking her to sign a warrant for a lethal injection..
Maybe you should get in contact with the head of department (or look and see if there is guidance about who to contact about problems)rather than some random tutor.
Ciaran_A
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From my own experience, criticism of a tutor is perfectly acceptable if done the right way. At Uni we are basically stakeholders and we pay for our tutors wages. If we were not allowed to voice our opinion and concerns then that would be a disgrace. A teacher that I had last year at my Uni had complaints made against him, and rightly so, and this year he is no longer working there.
If there are enough legitimate complaints, rather than an isolated complaint, then the Uni should act upon these.
The problem however is that if you do make a complaint and your identity is revealed to the teacher in question then any coursework of yours that they mark in the future runs the risk of being scrutinised fully. The teachers won't admit it but if they harbor a grudge then make sure that your work is up to scratch. I've criticised teachers in front of classmates and then the next essay they've marked has (surprise surprise) come back with a lower mark.
Shuvel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not at all. Unless you made things up about them. There was a research fellow who took seminars for one of my modules and he made a girl cry, so they complained to our year tutor and were excused from the seminars and he seemed to be a bit less patronising so guess he was "advised".
I don't think tutors take "I don't like my lecturer, he's a bit of a ****" too seriously and they'd probably be more inclinced to side with their colleague, but if it's his actual teaching competancy thats being raised then it's a bit more serious and the uni may look into it.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.51%
No (449)
60.68%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.81%

Watched Threads