Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This report has just been published: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...880976,00.html

what do you all think? Do you think if a woman behaves in a flirtatious manner she "deserves" to get raped?

Poll allow multi choice

I am utterly gobsmacked (first time ever)

And, I know male rape occurs too - shock! horror! - but this is women specific due to the report.

ReputationRep:
    Add an option of "Under no circumstances responsible." I was pretty disgusted by the results of this questionnaire as well.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ummm... why isn't there an option for "A woman is never responsible for being raped"?

ReputationRep:
    Being flirtatious and wearning revealing clothes certainly doesn't help the situation but there is still no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC)
    Add an option of "Under no circumstances responsible." I was pretty disgusted by the results of this questionnaire as well.
    **** how do I edit it? Have checked the FAQ!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=segat1]This report has just been published: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...880976,00.html

what do you all think? Do you think if a woman behaves in a flirtatious manner she "deserves" to get raped?

Poll allow multi choice

I am utterly gobsdmacked (first time ever)
    im utterly gobsmacked who wrote this?

ReputationRep:
    yep i want to tick the box of under no circumstances to!!!! Im hoping u left this one out due to how shocked u were!!! I heard about the report on the news.... 1/3 of the UK population thing women are to blame if they flirt or r drunk!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ramdom_girl]
    (Original post by segat1)
    This report has just been published: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...880976,00.html

Poll allow multi choice

I am utterly gobsdmacked (first time ever)
    im utterly gobsmacked who wrote this?
    thanks for your well-wishes, Ramdom. you've made my day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waterlily)
    yep i want to tick the box of under no circumstances to!!!! Im hoping u left this one out due to how shocked u were!!! I heard about the report on the news.... 1/3 of the UK population thing women are to blame if they flirt or r drunk!!!!!!!
    this is getting sorted out... sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Read about this poll in the paper this morning. I'd say partialy responsible if she's very drunk. You have a responsibility to look after yourself, and going out and getting so pissed you don't know what you are doing is asking for trouble.

That's not to say it makes the crime any less worse or that she somehow deserved it.

ReputationRep:
    I CAN SEE WHERE THEY ARE COMING FROM ON SAFETY ISSUES, if you are alone in an area with poor lighting thats just madnees, if you get into an unlicenced cab, leave your drink unattended accept drinks off strangers get blind drunk etc you are not acting in your own best interests. Im not saying you deserve to raped im saying it makes you more open to being attacked.

ReputationRep:
    righto, POLL NOW FIXED!!!! Thankyou Mods xxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure how a woman's sexual history can make her more responsible for being raped. Is a rapist going to ask in advance or something?

ReputationRep:
    maybe having a rep fro being a "slapper" would spread and when a mans advances are turned down he then thinks its ok for him to have sex with her anyway?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm not entirely surprised. And I wouldn't be surprised either if the most harsh responses came from women themselves.

ReputationRep:
    and we wonder why out of all rapes reported (only 2% being false) that only 4% get a conviction! How can you blame a women for being raped?

*stats froma report in company magazine..need to dig it out..

"As Sue Griffiths, spokesperson for the Rape Crisis Federation of England and Wales says" The most important thing is, women need to feel believed. If you look at the conviction rate of those cases that do get to court, only 8% result in a conviction. Does this mean 92% of women who report rape are lying? I don't think so - it's because the legal process isn't working"

http://survive.org.uk/petition.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I'm not entirely sure how a woman's sexual history can make her more responsible for being raped. Is a rapist going to ask in advance or something?
    The surprising number of women are raped by men they know well - so this could be a factor in this case.
    I personally believe that in the majority of cases the woman cannot be held responsible, but, in some cases women can go to bed consenting and wake up unconsenting - whether this being through flirting, alcohol, or both, and in this case its really an unfair claim of rape, when the man may have not been forcing himself upon her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    in some cases women can go to bed consenting and wake up unconsenting - whether this being through flirting, alcohol, or both, and in this case its really an unfair claim of rape, when the man may have not been forcing himself upon her.
    Erm... getting into bed with someone isn't consenting. And rape doesn't always involve force. Quite often intimidation, making the woman feel as if she has no choice, is preferable to the rapist. It is in his interests to make her believe that it was her fault, and it works very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    Erm... getting into bed with someone isn't consenting. And rape doesn't always involve force. Quite often intimidation, making the woman feel as if she has no choice, is preferable to the rapist. It is in his interests to make her believe that it was her fault, and it works very well.
    I am aware of this, my example was from one of my friends who was dragged off to a girls room, etc., and in the morning she claimed he forced her - now, having not been there, I cannot tell exactly what happened, but having known him for a long time and seeing them the same night I would have believed the opposite was more likely to have happened. still...what can you do.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the woman's fault in any way. If a man can't control himself then he shouldn't be allowed in public. Just because I wear "sexy" clothes and have a drink does not mean I want a man to assault me.

I think even in the case of a girl dragging a boy off to her room, if she says no and he keeps going, it's rape and it's not her fault. That includes if they're having sex and she says stop and he keeps going. A girl would say stop because they were uncomfortable with it, or it was physically hurting, and I think if I said stop and someone refused to I would have to knock them out.

Rapists are sick and should be locked away forever :mad:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.