The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trollman
Seems you understand it. For example if you got a question asking whether there was a mid-tudor crisis. Instead of going through whether each reign/monarch was successful. Look at common successes and failures in each.

One paragraph of religion, one on finance, one on defence from internal threats, one on foreign relations.

You understand?

How I'd do it too. Thanks for the confirmation. Pos rep for the help. :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by MelissaJayne
How I'd do it too. Thanks for the confirmation. Pos rep for the help. :smile:

No problem, I just remember the problems I had with history last year and thought I'd attempt to help the next generation :wink:
No problem, I just remember the problems I had with history last year and thought I'd attempt to help the next generation :wink:

I saw you got an A* though, that's brilliant, well done! Ha ha I wouldn't really deem a single year as a "generation" but I'm grateful for your insight nevertheless. :tongue:
Reply 63
I saw you got an A* though, that's brilliant, well done! Ha ha I wouldn't really deem a single year as a "generation" but I'm grateful for your insight nevertheless. :tongue:

Thank you! It was highly unexpected but obviously welcomed :biggrin:

Neither would I, that's why I included the wink face.

You're welcome.
Reply 64
Seems you understand it. For example if you got a question asking whether there was a mid-tudor crisis. Instead of going through whether each reign/monarch was successful. Look at common successes and failures in each.

One paragraph of religion, one on finance, one on defence from internal threats, one on foreign relations.

You understand?

Ah yes, I understand. I have been doing this since GCSE. I just got confused because I have never been taught the name of this method haha.
Reply 65
Yeah, that sounds about right. To be honest, I remember your essay coming across a well-structured, mature and developed answer that was fluent and clear. I tend to not get this feeling for essays I read that are written by dates because they usually come across a mish-mash of ideas.

Good, my worries are now diminished haha :smile:

I just need to focus on the last years of Elizabeth's reign and acquiring historiography.
Reply 66
Original post by Alex-jc123
What sort of economic facts do you know? I only know about Elizabeth's efforts to restore the coinage, efforts to expand trade and poor laws haha.

I read 7 books last year and am reading a few more at the moment. I was able to meet John Guy and Diarmaid MacCulloch in February at an A-level conference :tongue: They signed my books, shook my hand and supplied me with a plethora of useful quotes :biggrin: MacCulloch was especially helpful on religious aspects, whereas Guy proved to be helpful in politics and economcs.

That's all you need to know really I think, I don't know, it just seems to go down well for me. Maybe its because the other side we covered in my class was Louis XIV and then the French Revolution. Economics just seemed to be so long winded because of all the ridiculous changes they made in France between 1700 - 1800. :smile:

and wow! really? :p: haha, were they nice? :biggrin: You have been doing your homework you busy bee!
Reply 67
Original post by xelarose
That's all you need to know really I think, I don't know, it just seems to go down well for me. Maybe its because the other side we covered in my class was Louis XIV and then the French Revolution. Economics just seemed to be so long winded because of all the ridiculous changes they made in France between 1700 - 1800. :smile:

and wow! really? :p: haha, were they nice? :biggrin: You have been doing your homework you busy bee!

Ah, I am currently reading The New Oxford History of England: The Later Tudors and there are some economic facts in it worth taking :tongue: Mary I literally messed up big time in economics haha. She attempted to recover the debased coinage but failed; she angered many landowners due to her demanding the restoration of all monastic lands sold off by Henry VIII to courtiers; she did nothing to tackle famine or flue outbreaks; she bankrupted England in the Anglo-French war alongside Spain (which led to the loss of Calais in 1558). So, I disagree with Robert Tittler that her reign saw some 'benefits' ha.

Ah, I wish we could do the French Revolution :frown:

John Guy was quite dopey and shy, but Diarmaid MacCulloch was cool :cool: He was blunt and honest to my face, which I like. For example, he said: "Don't listen to the trash about the 'Puritan Choir'; it never existed, okay?!" haha. He also gave a good lecture on religion.

argh, help! I need to revise this syllabus soon :frown:
Hi, glad I've found fellow historians doing this course.

firstly, we just got our CW marks back and I got 55/60. Last year I got 72/100 and 81/100. I was wondering if anybody knew what I would need in this upcoming module for an A*/A/B? I tried to figure it out, but only end up with a headache!

secondly, I am struggling with essay structure. dare i say I do not recieve much feedback, so was hoping somebody here could help by sending completed A grades essays as samples? it would be very much appreciated :smile:

lastly, if anyone would like the "AQA BOOK", i would be willing to send it, if you leave an email address I could transfer it to :smile:

I'll be sure to pop back later... with something more contructive!
Reply 69
Original post by High As A Kite

firstly, we just got our CW marks back and I got 55/60. Last year I got 72/100 and 81/100. I was wondering if anybody knew what I would need in this upcoming module for an A*/A/B? I tried to figure it out, but only end up with a headache!

secondly, I am struggling with essay structure. dare i say I do not recieve much feedback, so was hoping somebody here could help by sending completed A grades essays as samples? it would be very much appreciated :smile:

lastly, if anyone would like the "AQA BOOK", i would be willing to send it, if you leave an email address I could transfer it to :smile:

Hello, I would be happy to offer some help.

Seeing as you got 90/1% in your coursework, you need to get the same in the exam to get an overall A* (basically, get level 5 on both questions in the exam). For an A overall, get 80%, a B, 70% and so on...

What was your coursework on? I congratulate you on your grade.
Original post by Alex-jc123
Hello, I would be happy to offer some help.

Seeing as you got 90/1% in your coursework, you need to get the same in the exam to get an overall A* (basically, get level 5 on both questions in the exam). For an A overall, get 80%, a B, 70% and so on...

What was your coursework on? I congratulate you on your grade.

Hi, thank you, it was about to what extent did the Cold War have the biggest impact on artistic expression over the last 100 years.

Do you know what I would need in the last module to get an A overall? Bearing in mind I have 153/200 at AS, and the CW is worth 40% of the 2nd year? lol it may not make much sense, thanks for the reply nonetheless.

How are you feeling about this upcoming summer exam? How are you preparing for it? I'm rather nervous :s-smilie: :smile:
Reply 71
Hi, thank you, it was about to what extent did the Cold War have the biggest impact on artistic expression over the last 100 years.

Do you know what I would need in the last module to get an A overall? Bearing in mind I have 153/200 at AS, and the CW is worth 40% of the 2nd year? lol it may not make much sense, thanks for the reply nonetheless.

How are you feeling about this upcoming summer exam? How are you preparing for it? I'm rather nervous :s-smilie: :smile:

It's more confusing to calculate a grade based on UMS. I calculate it through percentages acquired in coursework/exams. In your situation, you need a medium A of 85% in the exam to secure an A. Bear in mind that you do not even need to include historiography in your essay questions to get that.

I am feeling slightly nervous, but on some areas I feel really comfortable, such as the Mid-Tudor Crisis and the religious aspects of Elizabeth's reign. I began my revision yesterday :biggrin:
Reply 72
Well I was feeling quite confident before reading this thread! I'm over halfway through my first lot of revision atm,I'm finding it okay but worried that under pressure I'll just forget everything - I've found it harder to get to grips with the content of this unit so far :s-smilie:
Original post by -aimz
Well I was feeling quite confident before reading this thread! I'm over halfway through my first lot of revision atm,I'm finding it okay but worried that under pressure I'll just forget everything - I've found it harder to get to grips with the content of this unit so far :s-smilie:

me too. im dreading it! I feel like i know nothing, and it's dawned on me that its because i dont! :s-smilie:
what has made you both feel that way? I'm sure with revision you'll be able to boost that confidence. I haven't even properly started mine yet so your no doubt ahead of me :\
Reply 75
Hi everyone! Im doing this course too - I need an A and Im hopefully off to Bristol to read History!
AS UMS marks are:
89/100 and 90/100

Ive got an A in my A2 coursework, dont know the exact mark but its between 50 - 60 out of 60 marks (dont know the UMS).

Id say my strengths are religion and foreign pol. my weakness is parliament + control over council + parliament! Hope you all can help

Im really worried and NEED AN A so badly so any help is great!
Reply 76

Well you got a B in your AS right..with 153 UMS (A = 160). That means at A2 you need 167 UMS to get an A (because 320 (A grade boundary) - 153 = 167). I presume 55/60 is an A in your CW! So that means you have AT LEAST 64UMS so far at A2 - so you only need 103UMS at the most to get an A, which is a medium-low A, in terms of grade.
Original post by katieb1
Well you got a B in your AS right..with 153 UMS (A = 160). That means at A2 you need 167 UMS to get an A (because 320 (A grade boundary) - 153 = 167). I presume 55/60 is an A in your CW! So that means you have AT LEAST 64UMS so far at A2 - so you only need 103UMS at the most to get an A, which is a medium-low A, in terms of grade.

wait, 103/120? :confused:
Reply 78
wait, 103/120? :confused:

you probably wont need that much as youve got such a high CW mark, the CW UMS is out of 80 and the A boundary is 64 - so im sure youve probably got in the 70's with that mark, so yourl probs need a high B.
Original post by katieb1
you probably wont need that much as youve got such a high CW mark, the CW UMS is out of 80 and the A boundary is 64 - so im sure youve probably got in the 70's with that mark, so yourl probs need a high B.

eek, better get down to some revision!

thank you, and i sent the doc. any probs let know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending